Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19596566676869
Results 1,021 to 1,027 of 1027

Thread: Haven't got a name for it yet

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    If I don't care about the donor, do you think it's quicker to pull a Rubicon t-case with an angle grinder or an impact wrench? What if it's important to be discrete about the case-ectomy?
    Tools, not the ones downtown though ;)

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    ...In unrelated news, Ruby is no longer in Keene but is rather being stored in an undisclosed location.
    Bahahahaha!!! I literally laughed out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    More likely damaged rubber boot from a higher angle, water intrusion/grease contamination combination. For this reason; what we use our vehicles for is not an appropriate application for CV joints. A double Cardan can survive with needle bearings rusted to dust and still transmit torque, a Rzeppa with a smidge of dust in the balls will grenade in an instant...
    As CV boots are too...

The shop will be doing the work.
    What!! It is just a propeller shaft. Get a take off one for cheap and let's wheel this weekend. Someone has got to have one from an upgrade ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    More likely damaged rubber boot from a higher angle, water intrusion/grease contamination combination. For this reason; what we use our vehicles for is not an appropriate application for CV joints. A double Cardan can survive with needle bearings rusted to dust and still transmit torque, a Rzeppa with a smidge of dust in the balls will grenade in an instant...
    Am I the only one struggling to hold back on ďa smidge of dust in the ballsĒ?

Yup Iím 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve
    2010 Jeep JKU - Body Armor Front Skid/Rancho D30 Diff Slider/Tailgate Hi-Lift Mount/Smittybilt Rock Steps/Lou's Exhaust/AEV D44 Slider/AEV 2.5" DualSport Coil Lift/KC Trail Lights/Treadwright Guarddog 32's/Rancho Oil Pan Armor/JKS Quicker Discos/F&R LCA skids/Pavement Ends Frt Bumper/Superwinch 8500/Teraflex 1/2" Front Spacers/Oylmpic Rear Bumper/Clutch Bypass Mod/XRC Side Flares/Yukon 4.11 Gears/Centerforce I/National TOB/Sunrider for Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by drinnt View Post
    Am I the only one struggling to hold back on ďa smidge of dust in the ballsĒ?

Yup Iím 5.

I guess I better keep the Tom Woods sticker to myself.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Jeep is back in my driveway. Sound fixed. The front driveshaft CV at the transfer case end was toast. Boot torn and ball bearings a rattling. He scoped the transfer case and it's in good condition. A few other items for the list I need to take care of - control arm bushings and drag link ball joints with excessive play - ordered a new drag link kit and will work on the bushings when I get a chance.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Jeep is back in my driveway. Sound fixed. The front driveshaft CV at the transfer case end was toast. Boot torn and ball bearings a rattling. He scoped the transfer case and it's in good condition. A few other items for the list I need to take care of - control arm bushings and drag link ball joints with excessive play - ordered a new drag link kit and will work on the bushings when I get a chance.
    Several birds identified with one...errr...stone. Nice!

Steve
    2010 Jeep JKU - Body Armor Front Skid/Rancho D30 Diff Slider/Tailgate Hi-Lift Mount/Smittybilt Rock Steps/Lou's Exhaust/AEV D44 Slider/AEV 2.5" DualSport Coil Lift/KC Trail Lights/Treadwright Guarddog 32's/Rancho Oil Pan Armor/JKS Quicker Discos/F&R LCA skids/Pavement Ends Frt Bumper/Superwinch 8500/Teraflex 1/2" Front Spacers/Oylmpic Rear Bumper/Clutch Bypass Mod/XRC Side Flares/Yukon 4.11 Gears/Centerforce I/National TOB/Sunrider for Hardtop

I would not have thought a prop shaft would make noise only while turning.
    At least the diff is healthy! That would have been pricey. But good reason to add a front locker...
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    I would not have thought a prop shaft would make noise only while turning.
    At least the diff is healthy! That would have been pricey. But good reason to add a front locker...
    Somebody pointed out to me - when turning the front wheels travel a slightly different distance from the back wheels - this is why with a locked center (which the t-case effectively is), you only want to be in 4wd in situations where at least one of the axles has poor traction, so the different loading on the axles can come out by way of the wheels - if on pavement, they will chirp when turning. When the CV joint is shot, instead of smoothly passing the torque on to the axle, it's the point were the load in the drive train gets suddenly released.

I see the logic of the sentiment that double cardan (sp?) joint is better for this than a CV.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form