Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon great deal: a SNATCH STRAP--better than a normal strap!

I'm confused, the link goes to a Recovery strap, not a snatch strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    This is like half the price of the next cheapest one!
    Strap Link

We all know not to have hooks on our straps--we need to use loops instead.

We also now that tow straps are just for towing and not for recovering a stuck vehicle.

And the problem with a plain recovery strap is that they "give" very little, though better than a tow strap or a chain(which should never be used to pull someone out).

But a snatch strap actually stretches and recoils(like an elastic band), so this makes it the one strap that you should have. It is great for pulling a heavier, stuck vehicle out with a lighter one.

Quote Originally Posted by m_easty View Post
    I'm confused, the link goes to a Recovery strap, not a snatch strap.
    Same thing in this case. Regardless of the name, the important part is that it is a strap that stretches. Not a tow strap which resists stretch. They call this one a recovery strap, we call it a snatch strap. Either way, it has stretch.

It does appear to be a Tow Strap...Recovery Straps (Snatch Straps) seem to have a greater thickness. At least my ARB is much thicker than the picture shown in this link.
    2000 Black 4Runner Sport, Rear DiffLock, 33" BFG KM2s, Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels Skidrow Armor, Engine/Trans/Transfer Case. Sliders by Stubbs Welding, Sonoran Steel 1.2 4" Lift Kit, CBI Rear Bumper&Swingout, Lil Skip's gas tank Skid,
    SchrockWorks Front Bumper and SmittyBilt X20 Comp 8k Winch.

Quote Originally Posted by 004runner View Post
    It does appear to be a Tow Strap...Recovery Straps (Snatch Straps) seem to have a greater thickness. At least my ARB is much thicker than the picture shown in this link.
    The ARB straps are bigger than all others. If money was not a concern, ARB is the way to go. Their straps are awesome.

This strap is a cheaper one but will still get the job done. From the ad:

2' x 20', Vehicle Recovery Strap, 3,333 LB Working Load Limit, Abrasion Resistant Webbing, Stretch & Recoil Action, Recommended For Mid-Size Trucks, Jeeps.
    That stretch and recoil action is what makes it suitable for recoveries or snatching.

I have two tow straps that I have won and have used them. They work but they are rough on the vehicle and the passengers. I like having the tow straps for some scenarios but definitely need to get a snatch strap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

The thicker ones are probably rated for more weight, but like Ryan wrote in his post on the first page, too high of a rating might not give the "stretch & recoil" action that makes extricating a potentially heavier vehicle possible and without as much harshness ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.
    Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-02922-V...productDetails

This would appear to be better deal?
    2008 FJ Cruiser, 3" Toytec/Bilstein lift, 33" Cooper S/T Maxx, All pro sliders, Ricochet skids, LR UCA's, AT tranny cooler
    2016 WK2, stock (daily driver)

MappingNH Trail Scout

Yes it would.
    That is the thing that I find, deals just keep getting better sometimes because if you want to beat the other guy, you simply have to be cheaper.
    Keeper is a good brand too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.

Does anyone know a good source for kinetic rope (which REALLY stretches I hear), might be nice to have one of those per group on runs. I dont mind buying one if the price isnt too insane. Also looking for a good source for the soft shackles.
    2008 FJ Cruiser, 3" Toytec/Bilstein lift, 33" Cooper S/T Maxx, All pro sliders, Ricochet skids, LR UCA's, AT tranny cooler
    2016 WK2, stock (daily driver)

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Does anyone know a good source for kinetic rope (which REALLY stretches I hear), might be nice to have one of those per group on runs. I dont mind buying one if the price isnt too insane. Also looking for a good source for the soft shackles.
    I don't have one yet, but I've had my eye on one of these: http://www.bubbarope.com/4x4-products - I will say it seems like it has the potential to be quite dangerous.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

As yet unnamed - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - mine-mine-mine-no-matter-what-the-bank-says - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?33005
    Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy

MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    I don't have one yet, but I've had my eye on one of these: http://www.bubbarope.com/4x4-products - I will say it seems like it has the potential to be quite dangerous.
    :search:
    Just on the previous page:
    Quote Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
    Think I'm gonna grab one of these next time I have a few bucks to burn...
    http://www.bubbarope.com/4x4-products
    That being said....if you know how to splice double braid rope (and I do) you can make your own with line from a marine store. I can get the same BS line for $70.
    So, on second thought..I'll make my own with the 25' line I have in my basement...for free
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    BubbaRope has a newer, and slightly cheaper than their original ropes, model specifically designed (supposedly) with Jeeps in mind.
    http://www.bubbarope.com/renegade-pr...-recovery-rope
    Thanks to Joe for pointing them out to us today at Shawns. I think I am going to upgrade this year to this Renegade model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    ^ at $120, that is an investment.
    Just found a cheaper alternative to the Bubbarope--Smittybilt
    After Saturday's run, I see that we need more snatch/stretch/recoil ropes and straps to be used instead of the tow or plain recovery straps.

Ars off road has some great deals on snacth straps found out about them from jeff hiltz of pirate jeep productions

Lol - I was just going off 'Activity Stream'... sorry!

But in a week or two I might post it up again, if I'm feeling like a pain in the neck...
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

As yet unnamed - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - mine-mine-mine-no-matter-what-the-bank-says - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?33005
    Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy

MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    Lol - I was just going off 'Activity Stream'... sorry!
    But in a week or two I might post it up again, if I'm feeling like a pain in the neck...
    I am all for keeping members informed and finding them deals by keeping threads like this alive, but with Paul still on his meds, he is just ichin' to ban someone, lol :)

I use a master pull kinetic recovery rope rated at 20,000 pounds. It stretches out and recoils nicely even when yanking out something defender sized.

It was once used in a pinch to pull out a 50,000 pound or so loader from the snow.

It wasn't cheap but, I am a big fan of it. And would recommend that, or any rope that stretches and recoils.

Great way to see that type of strap in action is to watch the Top Gear UK polar special.
    1992 Range Rover Classic Alpine White "Grover" - Gone
    1988 Land Rover (Defender) Ninety Black "Ralph"- Gone
    2006 Land Rover LR3 (Discovery 3) Tonga Green "Greenie"- Gone
    1988 Range Rover Classic Portofino Red "Randy" - Gone
    1992 Range Rover Classic Eastnor Green "Rocket" - Gone
    2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Oxford Pearl Blue Metallic "R2"
    2008 Range Rover Supercharged (L322) Stornoway Grey “Grey Ghost”

“Shhhhhh it’s okay.... everything is okay, we’re in the Range Rover” -Dennis Reynolds