Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon great deal: a SNATCH STRAP--better than a normal strap!

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Arrow Amazon great deal: a SNATCH STRAP--better than a normal strap!

This is like half the price of the next cheapest one!
    Strap Link

We all know not to have hooks on our straps--we need to use loops instead.

We also now that tow straps are just for towing and not for recovering a stuck vehicle.

And the problem with a plain recovery strap is that they "give" very little, though better than a tow strap or a chain(which should never be used to pull someone out).

But a snatch strap actually stretches and recoils(like an elastic band), so this makes it the one strap that you should have. It is great for pulling a heavier, stuck vehicle out with a lighter one.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.
    Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Think I'm gonna grab one of these next time I have a few bucks to burn...

http://www.bubbarope.com/4x4-products

That being said....if you know how to splice double braid rope (and I do) you can make your own with line from a marine store. I can get the same BS line for $70.

So, on second thought..I'll make my own with the 25' line I have in my basement...for free
    Last edited by NHfireYJ; 01-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    -Sam
    Audrey 1995 YJ Unlimited (LJ Stretch) SOA on 35's with Cherokee 4.0 / AW4

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Currie 4", 1"BL 35 MTR Kevlars on Moabs, Sold
    BETTY, aka...94 SE, Stroked 4.6, 4" lift,1" Booms,1" BL, , D30, w/ Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD. SOLD
    2013 GMC Duramax 2500 Crewcab, on 33's

MappingNH Trail Scout

Default Re: Amazon great deal: a SNATCH STRAP--better than a normal strap!

^ I like those, but the price :O

I got pulled by one when they first came out many years ago and you couldn't feel a thing :)

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    ^ I like those, but the price :O

I got pulled by one when they first came out many years ago and you couldn't feel a thing :)

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    If there is enough interest, we could order a Bulk roll of 300' and make some... I also have plenty of old fire hose for chafe gear
    -Sam
    Audrey 1995 YJ Unlimited (LJ Stretch) SOA on 35's with Cherokee 4.0 / AW4

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Currie 4", 1"BL 35 MTR Kevlars on Moabs, Sold
    BETTY, aka...94 SE, Stroked 4.6, 4" lift,1" Booms,1" BL, , D30, w/ Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD. SOLD
    2013 GMC Duramax 2500 Crewcab, on 33's

This is like half the price of the next cheapest one!
    Strap Link

We all know not to have hooks on our straps--we need to use loops instead.

We also now that tow straps are just for towing and not for recovering a stuck vehicle.

And the problem with a plain recovery strap is that they "give" very little, though better than a tow strap or a chain(which should never be used to pull someone out).

But a snatch strap actually stretches and recoils(like an elastic band), so this makes it the one strap that you should have. It is great for pulling a heavier, stuck vehicle out with a lighter one.
    I was about to buy one NOW, until I noticed the load limit of 3,333lbs.

I used one of these multiple times when we were scouting a trail in Alstead. Joemcd's big 2500 Chevy was having trouble on a very soupy hill, and my little jeep had no problem getting him up over. I used it again on his beast of a truck again later on down the trail.

Can't imagine a strap with such a low rating would hold up to that though, like his did.
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

Yeah was just going to say the working load limit is only 3,333lbs. 15k is the norm.
    Last edited by Mach2NH; 01-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    97 Jeep XJ Trussed/gusseted D30,Ford 8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Stock 4.0 with a NVG241OR Rock-trac,5.5" long arm, full under armor, OBA, 35x12.5-15.

NEA

MappingNH Trail Scout

Sorry Matt, do you think I would post that if it wasn't safe?
    The WLL is 1/3 ton, but do you know what that actually means? Besides, this is a snatch strap that is rated differently than a cargo strap or a sling. I had that same rating for one D-ring on my Cherokee and it pulled me out and pulled other people out as well :)
    If you read the packaging the pull rating is 7,000 pounds. Last I checked, that is almost two of your GC's put together.
    If you read the description, it says it is recommended for Jeeps and mid-size trucks. I am pretty sure a Grand Cherokee is a Jeep ;)
    I have a Keeper brand snap strap with the same rating and backed up to bumpers, then third gear and WOT to pull people out time and time again, over and over, and it still lives to this day :p
    Please don't scare people off from a good deal if you don't know what the ratings mean. Thank you.

Sorry Matt, do you think I would post that if it wasn't safe?
    The WLL is 1/3 ton, but do you know what that actually means? Besides, this is a snatch strap that is rated differently than a cargo strap or a sling. I had that same rating for one D-ring on my Cherokee and it pulled me out and pulled other people out as well :)
    If you read the packaging the pull rating is 7,000 pounds. Last I checked, that is almost two of your GC's put together.
    If you read the description, it says it is recommended for Jeeps and mid-size trucks. I am pretty sure a Grand Cherokee is a Jeep ;)
    I have a Keeper brand snap strap with the same rating and backed up to bumpers, then third gear and WOT to pull people out time and time again, over and over, and it still lives to this day :p
    Please don't scare people off from a good deal if you don't know what the ratings mean. Thank you.
    I wasn't worried about pulling my jeep, but the vehicle on the other end (whether I'd be pulling them, or them pulling me). I know ratings aren't all they're cracked up to be. I've broken a 40,000lb strap before, and just the other day used an engine hoist with very small chains and d-rings to move a 3000lb-ish piece of machinery. It goes both ways.

I did not see the 7000lb limit on the picture of the package since I was viewing it on my phone. That makes it sound much better.
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

You can hit a 7k load limit easy when your using a 4 or 5k rig with momentum. That's why most well made yank straps have much higher ratings. When is comes to safety you should never cheap out.

And for the record going "bumper to bumper" and mashing the peddle is not safe in anyway. If the pull point was to fail before the strap then you would have a very dangerous situation. I have seen straps cave in the tailgate of pickups. So think what a strap with a large chunk of metal can do..
    97 Jeep XJ Trussed/gusseted D30,Ford 8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Stock 4.0 with a NVG241OR Rock-trac,5.5" long arm, full under armor, OBA, 35x12.5-15.

NEA

MappingNH Trail Scout

Yeah Matt there are different rating for different uses. I had a sling that was like half the rating if used like this, and then twice as much if used like that, all written on the same strap, lol.

I here ya Derek and agree, but it was "do or die" at the time and I definitely don't advise that method. I started out with 0', then 3', then 5', and so on. I kept going like that until he started moving. It was the only thing that worked, Winches were useless because I had nothing solid(couldn't quite reach the nearest tree) to anchor to and when I tried to tie off to another truck, I just dragged both of us. Oh and it was in the snow too. Strap breakings are very violent! I have seen a few in my time.

Another thing to consider is that actual recovery straps are designed to be used near their rating. This is due to the amount of stretch required. A strap rated for 30k lbs will not stretch and rebound the same way as a strap rated for 7k lbs when you have a 3k lb Jeep pulling on it. You will not get the full benefit of a dynamic pull out of a strap rated for a much higher load. When you go too far in the ratings you are turning a dynamic strap into a strap with 0 stretch, because your rig doesn't have enough weight to do what the strap was designed to do.

A strap used near it's working load limit will need to be replaced more often than higher rated straps due to less of a safety margin for nicks, frays, cuts, etc., but it will work better than a strap rated much higher. Straps fail in a number of ways. The most common is nicks and cuts due to improper fastening or being dragged over rocks and run over. The other way straps usually fail is through normal wear and tear. When a strap stretches and is wet and dirty, those particles work their way into the webbing causing friction as the rope is stretched and released. Over time this causes a lot of micro abrasion within the strap, weakening it. Another thing to keep in mind is that most straps on the market lose about half of their pulling capacity when wet.

Inspect your strap after each use, keep it clean, dry, and out of the sun.
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Thanks Ryan for explaining that probably better than I was just about going to ;)

An example:
    On a recent run, one of the newer members had just purchased a recovery strap that was rated for way more then he needed and then he doubled it up for even more strength--the result was extremely harsh when he tried to jerk the stuck vehicle, because it had no give or stretch. He also could not extract this person because by doing this he lost the recoil effect as well.

These snatch straps are very much worth having and this is a great find/deal.

BubbaRope has a newer, and slightly cheaper than their original ropes, model specifically designed (supposedly) with Jeeps in mind.

http://www.bubbarope.com/renegade-pr...-recovery-rope

Thanks to Joe for pointing them out to us today at Shawns. I think I am going to upgrade this year to this Renegade model.

MappingNH Trail Scout

^ at $120, that is an investment.

Just found a cheaper alternative to the Bubbarope--Smittybilt

After Saturday's run, I see that we need more snatch/stretch/recoil ropes and straps to be used instead of the tow or plain recovery straps.

MappingNH Trail Scout

If the other thread for the Warn is a little too pricey for you, there is always this one still ;)