Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Winter Hikes

Default Sunday Winter Hikes

Well, the title says it all. Open to anyone interested, families too! If you haven't been hiking in the winter, it's great fun - if a little chilly. Less people, no bugs, and great views! If there's snow and ice things get interesting - I'll provide gear guidelines for hikes as the winter progresses.

PM me if you're interested, and I'll keep a list going for each hike as well as recommending gear if you've got questions.

• *** Done***12/2: Mt. Monadnock Difficulty: Moderate, 3-5 hours Cost: $5/person Time: 9AM
    • *** Done***12/9: Mt. Cardigan Difficulty: Moderate, 3-4 hours Cost: free
    • *** Done***12-16: Mt. Watatic Difficulty: Easy, 1-3 hours Cost: free Time: 8AM
    • *** Done***12-23 No hike, I'm out of town
    • *** Done***12-30: Suggestions?
    • *** Done***1-5:
    • ***DONE***1-13: Mt. Kearsarge - Wilmot, NH. Difficulty: Easy-Moderate, 2-3 hours Cost: free
    • 1-20: Mt. Chocorua - Albany NH. Difficulty: Moderate, 5-6 hours Cost: free
    • [B]1-27 Mt. Monadnock Difficulty: Moderate, 3-5 hours Cost: $5/person Time: 9AM
    • [B]2-17 Suggestions? Difficulty: ? Cost: Time: 9AM

Open to suggestions for the hike on 2/17. Any ideas? The snow should make some hikes a lot more fun! One possibility is Mt. Osceola off of the Kanc. I've done that before in the winter and it's a great hike.
    Last edited by EpicXCrider; 02-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Monadnock is $5 a person, I was up there a few weeks ago.
    Are these morning hikes or afternoon?
    I might be up Sundays Monadnock hike.

Yes let's say 9 am so it can warm up a bit.

I don't usually walk farther than the refrigerator, but Mt. Sunapee has a trail, I think it's 7 miles.
    Back In Only Please

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thanks Nick for doing this. Sucks that everything is two hours away from me though.
    Have trail cut with NCRS this Sunday and possibly a private run on next Sunday but maybe I can have that moved ;)
    Maybe something a little more this way(east) on the unplanned days like Mt. Chocorua, or Mt. Major, or Blue Job?
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Will definitely do some out your way too!!

I'm up for Mt Monadnock. My step son hiked it last weekend for a beautiful sunrise hike. Might be nice to park a car over on Dublin Lake so we can go down Pumpelly trail and then drive back to the trail head in the park. Also you may want to let folks know what hikes are not dog friendly. Unfortunately our state frowns on our four legged friends in most parks, so Gus cannot hike Monadnock with us.

Monadnock is great! I would like to get in on that hike. Have to see if i am free that weekend. My favorite little secret is the Spellman trail. I start up the white cross/dot then hook up to the cascade link which runs up to the Spellman trail which merges with Pumpelly along the ridgeline below the summit. That is my secret. Almost no one does the Spellman trail. I would not say its difficult but it is more than most people can do. It has really great unobstructed views too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353991109.181035.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	10835
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. (David Livingston)

NOW!!! 2016 JEEP JKU BLACK BEAR. 33" KO2's, 1.5" G2 wheel spacers, 52" LED light bar

have you /anyone ever done/found the caves on the '' back side of the Mt. ? " ...talk to a friend who has been there the old timers brought him ,seems its a secert spot .He does not know how to find them . I have hiked it a few times ,never found them
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

Quote Originally Posted by jeep crawl View Post
    have you /anyone ever done/found the caves on the '' back side of the Mt. ? " ...talk to a friend who has been there the old timers brought him ,seems its a secert spot .He does not know how to find them . I have hiked it a few times ,never found them
    It is located off the Pumpelly trail. Unique thing is that it is not an actual cave it is a structure that was built by two guys. It is quite hard to find.
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. (David Livingston)

NOW!!! 2016 JEEP JKU BLACK BEAR. 33" KO2's, 1.5" G2 wheel spacers, 52" LED light bar

Quote Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
    Yes let's say 9 am so it can warm up a bit.
    Which parking lot did you want to meet at?
    I've always used the second lot (not the main entrance) further up Rt124. Where the trail go's past the half way house.
    Still not 100% if I can make it, but it's looking promising.

The Poole road parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep crawl View Post

88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Thanks Nick for doing this. Sucks that everything is two hours away from me though.
    Have trail cut with NCRS this Sunday and possibly a private run on next Sunday but maybe I can have that moved ;)
    Maybe something a little more this way(east) on the unplanned days like Mt. Chocorua, or Mt. Major, or Blue Job?

Ya Mt. Chocorua is a great hike!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4665.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	10853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4633.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	10855

Mt Monadnock sunrise Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	10854
    Last edited by Mach2NH; 11-28-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

no 4000 footers?