Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeepin's YJ

Jeepin is online now Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Default Jeepin's YJ

So this may be a little overdue, but wheelin season is in sight and the projects are soon enough to begin.

My names Anthony, I picked up this YJ in South Carolina, and it has been a slow project. I purchased it with 115,000 original miles, it was always adult owned and mainly garaged, it still has never seen a winter and I have had it in NH for about 2 years now. The previous owner had put a 3" body lift in it and 33x12.5 Mud Kings. The frame is mint, no rust anywhere on the body, bolts come off like the Jeep was just assembled, such a nice change!

I have put an aussie locker in the front D30 and installed a custom posi-lock setup for the 2 piece axle disconnect. Installed a dynomax cat-back, put in a CB radio, small audio system, new thermostat, flushed the cooling system, plugs & wires, some new gaskets....

Hopeful plans for the spring or just future are a spring-over conversion, shackle reversle, rear axle swap and locker, possibly the ford 8.8, re-gear to 4.88s or possibly lower depending on the tire size I choose. SYE and longer driveshaft, rock sliders and skids, remove the 3" body and maybe install a 1" polyuerethane kit, install the power steering setup ive had sitting for a year, and more (if I can afford it).

Day it was bought....

Day after haha... not quite

Last edited by Jeepin; 07-03-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

Sweet... Can't wait to see it on the trails!

-dave
    '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser - SOLD link...Build Thread...link..... Going to be riding shotgun for now.
    http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...fRoadLogos.jpg

Nice ride Anthony .. Sounds like you got a good plan of attack,will keep my eye out on updates :cheers
    Building Something New

nice clean jeep. i would start with that PS kit, you must be beat after a day in the trails!
    NOT A FAN OF THE EVERYDAY

88 toyota xtra cab, custom frame, flatbed wIth latter racks, custom camper top, sas with 5.29 gears, lockrIght front welded rear, deals with 4.7 in rear, tripple sticks and much more

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    nice clean jeep. i would start with that PS kit, you must be beat after a day in the trails!

I should have done it long ago! I got a used pump and reservoir, I just need to pickup some new high pressure hoses. Anyone who wheeled with me last season heard me complain about it a time or two. Two days in a row like the fall crawl had me hurtin, my back is a bit messed up too so it doesn't help.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

idk your beer arm seemed to be working alright haha, i head ya though. i have ps but the crawl killed my back to, crappy seats with junk shocks and t bars made for a long weekend, no more of that crap though, next year will be much better.

88 toyota xtra cab, custom frame, flatbed wIth latter racks, custom camper top, sas with 5.29 gears, lockrIght front welded rear, deals with 4.7 in rear, tripple sticks and much more

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    idk your beer arm seemed to be working alright haha
    Yeah, you Ian and I might have been the last standing saturday night...... lol

Quote Originally Posted by ne07fjc View Post
    Sweet... Can't wait to see it on the trails!
    Thanks dave, oh and you have I think thats you & scott...

Last edited by Jeepin; 02-17-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    (Oo\||||||/oO)

last standing both nights haha! nice pic

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Recent Updates....

Got the Jeep out, washed it up, removed the side steps, fixed the exhaust....

I have now decided to go forth and do the spring over, picked up a ford 8.8 for a great price with 4.10s and disc brakes.

Just ordered a swap kit, Rugged Ridge SYE, yolk adapter, new bushings, mounts and hangers for doing shackle reversal.... Also found some rock sliders with a step...

More to come in the build... still need to pick out my high steer setup...
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    (Oo\||||||/oO)

looks like you got a good parts pile going. What are you doing for the high steer?
    2004 Tacoma 2.5" toyotec 255/85/16 BFG KM2

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrmjeep View Post
    looks like you got a good parts pile going. What are you doing for the high steer?
    I think im going with the Rocky Road OTT kit, gets both tie rod and drag link over the springs, knuckle gets drilled and tapped for the adapter to bolt on, decently priced compared to terraflex or similar full knuckles and unlike some you get a new tie rod and drag link. Reviews seemed good, I talked to the guy at RR and he said there in huge demand and can take a couple weeks, prob order tomorrow.

Its the last piece other than shocks that i havent ordered. Got the rearend all in this weekend with new perches, shock mounts, ubolts... just need to finish brakes and install the SYE. Fronts completely out, getting ready for grinding. Im going to post up some pics when i get a chance.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    (Oo\||||||/oO)

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Here is a little sequence of progress....

Dana 35 about to be pulled out

Dana 35 out

Welded the 8.8 axle tubes to the diff housing, they are just pressed in

New perches getting mocked up for welding

Perches welded and axle fitted in place

Yolk flange installed and shock mounts welded, still need to cut off old remaining mounts

Front end pulled out

You can see the rock sliders sitting on the floor

I also just found an RC8 winch with YJ bumper for cheap...

Last edited by Jeepin; 04-09-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    (Oo\||||||/oO)

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Got back to work this past weekend, working on the front end, grinded down all the old perches and hangers, welding in the new ones and got the transfer case pulled out. I am about to give the jeep a full flex so I can measure for shock length, worst thing you can have is your shocks be the limiting factor of your suspension...

SYE is going in this week, new ball joints, brakes, power steering YAY!... I am hoping to have everything 90% done after this coming weekend. I have a good friend of mine helping with all the welding. The maiden voyage will most likely be the Backside in Bash on the 29th, if all goes as planned...

Heres some more pics of progress....

I think I am going to do some 45 extensions on the front bumper to give it a better look after, and more skids are in the plans as well.

I knew this project wasnt going to be the cheapest... I will be so glad when I can stop spending and enjoy it! Overall I have found some great deals and had some much appreciated help.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    (Oo\||||||/oO)

What did you use for stationary spring hangars on your shackle reversal?

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

I picked up these from Tellico4x4....
    http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_in...ducts_id/28299

At first I was worried about their service because it took a day or two for shipping confirmation, but I called up and spoke with them, very helpful, quick shipping, and another part that was backordered they automatically refunded for me when I asked them too
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    (Oo\||||||/oO)