Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Width on New Wrangler

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Per usual, I agree with Mike, though...

Mainly for off-road reasons(trying to protect aluminum rims, but price was also a factor at that time) I am personally running a 33x12.5R15 Load C(6-ply) AT's with a 7" wide wheel on a TJ with no problems, besides the foreseeable tire contact issue. As in the outside shoulder area of the tread is obviously not going to wear as fast, thus that means the center will probably wear down a bit quicker. I don't even have to chalk them to see that either, but it does not bother me. Your results may vary.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

IMO if you don't mind keeping them torqued and check them every tire rotation, you'd be fine. The rims I got for my Cooper STT Pros has 4.75" backspacing. I also lifted with a 3.5" Metalcloak but could not use the outboard shock mounts since they recommend something with 4.5" of backspacing or less. I may end up getting Spidertrax since so many people run them so i can get that shock moved.

There will still be stress on joints and added wear whether you run a rim with less backspacing or throw spacers on. 6 of one half dozen of the other, besides the "extra" maintenance. Just means you get to upgrade once it's time to replace wear parts. lol

my 33x 11.5 on factory 17s just barely clear the rear sway bar...
    Budget Built Rubiclone

Quote Originally Posted by mewaschuk View Post
    my 33x 11.5 on factory 17s just barely clear the rear sway bar...
    I had rubbing on the front sway bar with my stock 255/75R17 when offroad.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

All rubbing aside, Id be curious if you could find a shop that would mount 35 on a 7.5 rim. When I was shopping for tires a few wouldn't mount anything over 33 on stock due to liability concerns. I went to a wider rim, which has the added benefit of better backspacing to move away from rub areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    I had rubbing on the front sway bar with my stock 255/75R17 when offroad.
    yup, that subsequently happened to me too. and i also grabbed the passenger front hard brake hard line and bent it up 90. got wheel spacers, only to then grab the front fender at full lock and stuff. which then lead to the trimming the fenders just a tad...finally everything clears...
    Budget Built Rubiclone