Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Width on New Wrangler

Default Tire Width on New Wrangler

Anyone fit a 35 12.5 17 tire under a JK on the factory wheels? I am curious as to how much they will rub. Plenty of height just not sure if the width is to much.

Any lift on the Jeep? Oh, and yes they will rub without spacers behind the stock wheels. You need wheels with about 4.5" of backspace.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrindamour View Post
    ....Plenty of height just not sure if the width is to much.
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Any lift on the Jeep?....
    I think he is more worried about hitting on a horizontal plane than on a vertical plane.
    Stock tires are 10" wide. Anything 10.5" wide or wider will start hitting.
    A friend of mine went from the original 255's to 285's(11.2"w) making them almost an inch and a quarter wider(5/8ths on both sides) and had to go with more negative offset to prevent rubbing on the inside of the tire. But it all depends on how much rubbing you are comfortable with and if you adjust your steering stops ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Good to know, I didn't think I could pull it off. I was told not to do spacers by the tech here at work. Said it will cause more problems than anything. New wheels it is :)

Good to know, I didn't think I could pull it off. I was told not to do spacers by the tech here at work. Said it will cause more problems than anything. New wheels it is :)
    The tech is full of crap. Spidertrax spacers work great and don't cause any problems. I wouldn't use a cheap set but Spidertrax are great (when installed properly).

MappingNH Trail Scout

I myself would never use spacers but I don't like running offset wheels either, so I don't count ;) However that being said, they do make good quality spacers for those that want and need, and Dave is correct in saying "when properly installed"
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.

There is no Electric Eye without The Hellion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I myself would never use spacers but I don't like running offset wheels either, so I don't count ;) However that being said, they do make good quality spacers for those that want and need, and Dave is correct in saying "when properly installed"
    Both ZR2's have rear wheel spacers and been trouble-free for years.YMMV
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    That explains the pizza cutters!

MappingNH Trail Scout

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    That explains the pizza cutters!
    You got it ;)
    :cheers

Anyone fit a 35 12.5 17 tire under a JK on the factory wheels? I am curious as to how much they will rub. Plenty of height just not sure if the width is to much.
    I run these with Spidertrax and they still rub on the control arms. I have my steering stops set so they just touch. If I had it to do over I would buy better wheels. I got a complete set of new (take offs) 17" JK Mopar wheels in August, currently I have 2 that have sections of the rim torn off already.

I am starting to look for 17" wheels again, and no I don't want to buy yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jollydodger View Post
    I run these with Spidertrax and they still rub on the control arms. I have my steering stops set so they just touch. If I had it to do over I would buy better wheels. I got a complete set of new (take offs) 17" JK Mopar wheels in August, currently I have 2 that have sections of the rim torn off already.

I am starting to look for 17" wheels again, and no I don't want to buy yours.

What size spacers are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrindamour View Post
    what size spacers are you running?
    1 1/2"

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question for a 2018 JLUR. I'm putting on a 2" lift and want to put 35" tires on my stock JL 17" wheels. Is it safe/adviseable to put 315/70/17 tires on a stock wheel that is 7.5" wide? (please note I didn't ask about tire selection since I don't want to start a squabble.)

Thanks!
    Rick (KC1KVZ)
    2018 JLUR Rock Hard Sliders, MC UnderCloak, 2.5 Teraflex ST2 lift, Rancho diff covers, Teraflex Nomad Wheels, Milestar Patagonia 315/70/R17s.
    (gone) 2017 JKU Smoky Mountain, Rock Hard sliders but otherwise stock
    Completed "Tread Lightly! 101 Online Awareness Course"

Way too much tire for that size rim.

8.5 is the recommended min size rim according to Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cep-72752/overview/