Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender/Tire Coverage laws in NH??

Default Fender/Tire Coverage laws in NH??

Anybody know what, if any, tire coverage/fender laws they have in NH. I mainly ask because I have been looking at some different fenders for my JK and saw these ----> http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/138.htm and was wondering if someone would get flak for having them on their vehicle?? I seriously doubt I will be purchasing them, they are a little out of my price range at the moment considering they're $1000 for a full set , but i figured I'd throw the question out there.... Any inputs are appreciated....

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

If you can drop a coin from the edge of the flare and it doesn't touch the tire on the way down.....you pass.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Yeh, I was told by multiple garages that your fenders have to fully cover the tread (not the sidewalls), however, it only seems to matter when getting an inspection sticker. My tires stick out almost 2" beyond the flare and I've been like that since early spring and have never been hassled about it. I had to get an inspection sticker in December and no garage would touch it with those tires. Luckily I still have my stockers so put them on for the sticker, but I will be looking for other fender options before next year. Thinking some custom tube fenders.
    2011 JK Unlimited Sahara ~ 2" coil spacers, Bushwacker flat fenders, 35 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 5:13 gears, ARB lockers & diff covers front & rear, OBA, lot's of body armor & skid plates, Warn 9.5 Ti & enough lights to wake a rooster. (on the wish list now is to beef up the d30, a real lift & a Rubicrawler)
    1970 Mach1 fastback & 2008 Yamaha R1

Quote Originally Posted by 70Mach1 View Post
    Yeh, I was told by multiple garages that your fenders have to fully cover the tread (not the sidewalls), however, it only seems to matter when getting an inspection sticker. My tires stick out almost 2" beyond the flare and I've been like that since early spring and have never been hassled about it. I had to get an inspection sticker in December and no garage would touch it with those tires. Luckily I still have my stockers so put them on for the sticker, but I will be looking for other fender options before next year. Thinking some custom tube fenders.
    A friend of mine got a ticket in Bradford for his tires sticking out too far (a good couple inches). It does happen...

I've heard from some people that it has to be totally covered, others say that it can be to the first line in the tread. I'd like to know for sure too.
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

I got a warning for mudflaps in Hanover
    "Mr. T the tree guy."
    My Build http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?t=7093
    Adam
    TR- 98 XJ
    DD- 08 Tacoma
    DD- 00 SL1 Sold
    92 Camry R.I.P.

the tire has to be covered ...
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

I have had no issue with mine from cops, however, I have to go to a "special" place for an inspection.

sticks out about 2"
    6spd 35" MTRs MB72 15" wheels, 3" OME HD Long Travel lift, Smittybilt XRC 8k, PSC BFH Trail Stinger, Genright steel carrier, ARB front and rear covers, RC Quick disco's, Cut flares, Custom rock rails, Woods Evap relocation and cat-back, Drop down tailgate, 1500Winverter, 6 Gal OBA, Oil Pan skid, Rock Krawler HD tie rod, PSC cooler. Tuffy Full Console, Alpine H/U Rockford Fosgate Speakers. Installed a computer instead of a T-case, yep I'm a nerd.
    Member of Tread lightly

I got a warning about a year ago by a cop with nothing better to do...

As for the cops it depends on thier mood that day...but seems like most look away for less than 1" - 1 1/2" of tire sticking out.
    -Sam
    Audrey 1995 YJ Unlimited (LJ Stretch) SOA on 35's with Cherokee 4.0 / AW4

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Currie 4", 1"BL 35 MTR Kevlars on Moabs, Sold
    BETTY, aka...94 SE, Stroked 4.6, 4" lift,1" Booms,1" BL, , D30, w/ Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD. SOLD
    2013 GMC Duramax 2500 Crewcab, on 33's

266:57 Flaps; Guards. Every vehicle operated in or upon any way, when not equipped with proper fenders to prevent the throw, spray, or splash of water, dirt, or other matter, shall be equipped with suitable fender guards or flaps which shall effectively reduce the throw, spray or splash likely to be emitted from any wheel or tire. Said flaps or guards required shall be of a type and size prescribed and approved by the director.

Really good read....
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...OC-XXI-266.htm
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

I've been thru this a few times. You should be able to take a straight edge (Level/yard stick) place it against both sidewalls of your tire (top and bottom) and touch the outer edge of your flare. In other words, FULL coverage.
    Most of the time, as long as you're within the first (outside) tread lug, you won't get hassled. If your vehicle is a "specticle" (loud/covered in mud/showboating around town/major lifted) they are going to pull you over..........
    "It's not overbuilt..........it's excessively engineered."

Originally said by Measty:
    you can come burn anything you want except the house :)
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered will never know."

a lot also depends on how your rig and how you look. loud ratty beat up old truck half covered in mud is asking for it a lot more then something like randalls jeep cruising through town. being young looking never helps eather cops often look badly and care more about the little things you do. i think that has more to do with it then anything else.
    NOT A FAN OF THE EVERYDAY

88 toyota xtra cab, custom frame, flatbed wIth latter racks, custom camper top, sas with 5.29 gears, lockrIght front welded rear, deals with 4.7 in rear, tripple sticks and much more

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    a lot also depends on how your rig and how you look. loud ratty beat up old truck half covered in mud is asking for it a lot more then something like randalls jeep cruising through town. being young looking never helps eather cops often look badly and care more about the little things you do. i think that has more to do with it then anything else.
    I don't know, if I were a cop and saw Randall cruising through my town I'd be suspicious.:biggrin5
    2011 JK Unlimited Sahara ~ 2" coil spacers, Bushwacker flat fenders, 35 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 5:13 gears, ARB lockers & diff covers front & rear, OBA, lot's of body armor & skid plates, Warn 9.5 Ti & enough lights to wake a rooster. (on the wish list now is to beef up the d30, a real lift & a Rubicrawler)
    1970 Mach1 fastback & 2008 Yamaha R1

Quote Originally Posted by 70Mach1 View Post
    I don't know, if I were a cop and saw Randall cruising through my town I'd be suspicious.:biggrin5
    Yeah, I get that, too!

Mostly, it's another case of the law being intentionally vague, so enforcement is, by design, at the officers' discretion. You don't poke him, he may not poke you.

Your tires have to be fully covered. Some places will use their " own discretion" on the matter. Some say if you are making a valid attempt to cover the tires and they do not grossly stick out they will let it go. Mine were grossly sticking out but was only ever stopped once.
    I was pulled over by a state cop on a run. I also happened to be the last one in line so of course I got pulled over. He said my tires stuck out too far. He said to get the flares fixed. Then let me get back to the group. Yes it helps to be a girl I know, he was more interested in what the 20 vehicles that drove by him were doing than giving me a ticket.

It all depends on the inspection station. The mood of the officer, and well if you don't have a blatantly illegal vehicle chances are you will get a sticker.
    4.0, 4"RC, HP D30, 8.8, locked, 4:10, 35x13.5x15 BF Goodrich Krawlers, RR mega short sye, custom cv drive shaft, adjustable lower front control arms, Currie steering, Angry Diff Cover. 1 1/4 JKS body lift, MML, Stinky's Off Road front bumper, Stinky's Offroad Custom Cage.
    My Jeep Build up

Default You know what might be handy?

If anybody felt inclined to share via PM a garage in Rockingham or Strafford Counties that might be willing to have bad eyesight. I just put spacers on (Willys Wheeler with stock wheels was decidedly tippy). Looks good, rides measurably better, but I did have a po-po break hard and give me a long look. I'm MAYBE 1/2" of tread showing depending upon your angle... maybe. But the sidewalls are completely outside.