Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Can you fail inspection for "scored rotors"?

Default Can you fail inspection for "scored rotors"?

I just dropped my truck off for inspection this afternoon and they guy calls to say it failed for:

(1) Rear brake pads are low
    (2) Rotors are scored

I can maybe believe the brake pads are junk, but can you actually fail for "scored rotors"?

Chaldaean added 9 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

From here (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule...saf-c3200.html), I copied/pasted the brake section. I don't see anything about scored rotors....

PART Saf-C 3212 BRAKES

Saf-C 3212.01 Wheels. When inspecting brakes, the mechanic shall remove at least one front and one rear wheel.

Source. (See Revision Notes at chapter heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07

Saf-C 3212.02 Brakes.

(a) A vehicle shall be rejected if:

(1) The brakes do not have adequate stopping power;

(2) Any wheel fails to indicate braking action;

(3) Brake pedal reserve shows that:

a. Less than 1/5 of the total service brake pedal travel remains when the pedal is depressed and held;

b. On front disc-equipped vehicles, the dashboard warning light illuminates; or

c. On drum brake-equipped vehicles, the pedal height cannot be maintained for 10 seconds with moderate foot-force;

(4) Brake warning indicator light:

a. Fails to light up when ignition is turned on;

b. Fails to go out when engine is started;

c. Lights up when brake pedal is depressed;

d. Press-to-test light fails to light up, if the vehicle is so equipped; or

e. If equipped with an anti-lock system, fails to light up when ignition is turned on or fails to go out when engine is started;

(5) Parking brake:

a. Does not hold the vehicle with engine slightly accelerated in low gear;

b. Does not hold the vehicle on a 20% grade; or

c. The pedal or lever reaches its limit before the brakes are set;

(6) On 4 wheel disc brake equipped vehicles:

a. Separate parking brake linings are loose, worn out or soaked with grease, oil or fluids; or

b. Drums are cracked, broken or damaged;

(7) Bonded linings on brake shoes or pads are less than 2/32 inch thick, when measured at the thinnest point;

(8) Wire in wire-backed linings is visible on the friction surface;

(9) Riveted linings on the brake shoes or disc brake pads are worn to within 2/32 inch of any rivet head;

(10) Rivet(s) on the brake lining are loose or missing or the lining is not securely fastened to the shoe or pads;

(11) Brake lining is broken, loose or cracked more than ˝ way through the total thickness of the brake lining, except in the case of bonded linings which are cracked but are not loose from the brake shoes;

(12) Lining surface is contaminated with foreign material so that it interferes with operation of the brake;

(13) Any brake drum or disc:

a. Shows evidence of mechanical damage other than wear;

b. Is contaminated with grease or oil on the friction surface;

c. Has cracks on the friction surface extending to the open edge or on the outside of the drum, particularly at the drum mounting area;

d. Has a broken disc;

e. Has cracks on the friction surface extending to the open edge on a disc;

f. Has defective grease retainers;

g. Is worn below the manufacturer’s specifications; or

h. Has thickness less than the minimum which is stamped on the assembly;

(14) The inside diameter of the brake drum exceeds the maximum diameter stamped on the drum or is greater than 0.090 inch, 2.3 mm, over the original drum diameter for unmarked drums;

(15) Fluid is leaking from the master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, or parts are missing, improperly retained or not in good working condition;

(16) Hydraulic fluid in master cylinder reservoir is more than ˝ inch below lowest edge of filler opening in either reservoir chamber, or is below minimum level indicated by manufacturer on reservoir. Passenger cars with disc front and drum rear brakes and dual master cylinders shall indicate wear on disc brake pads if fluid level is lower in the large reservoir only;

(17) Hydraulic hoses, tubing or connections are leaking, chaffed, restricted, crimped, cracked, broken, corroded, flattened or insecurely fastened;

(18) Any mechanical linkage parts are missing, broken, badly worn or seized;

(19) There is high friction in the brake pedal and linkage or in the brake components;

(20) Brake operating levers are improperly positioned or misaligned;

(21) On vacuum booster power brakes:

a. Any hose or tube is leaking, collapsed, broken, badly chafed or improperly supported;

b. Any clamp is loose, missing or broken; or

c. The service brake pedal does not move slightly when the engine is started; or

(22) On hydraulic booster power brakes:

a. There is insufficient fluid in the power steering pump or reservoir;

b. There are broken, kinked or restricted fluid lines or hoses;

c. There is any leakage of fluid at the pump; steering gear, brake booster or

any lines or hoses;

d. Belts are missing or are in danger of failure; or

e. While applying pressure to brake pedal, no action is felt in the service brake pedal when the engine is started.

Source. (See Revision Notes at chapter heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07
    Last edited by Chaldaean; 08-08-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]

1997 LX450 Factory Locks, OME 2.5", 285/75 BFG, MetalTech Sliders, Cobra CB, Cup Holder
    1988 FJ62 - R.I.Pieces due to frame rust

Unless the rotors are worn through sounds like crap to me. Most rotors have some scoring, the pads just wear to fit em.

scoring = Damage so yes, but its all left up to interpretation. would I fail you for scoring, not as long as the brakes worked.

(6) On 4 wheel disc brake equipped vehicles:

a. Separate parking brake linings are loose, worn out or soaked with grease, oil or fluids; or

b. Drums are cracked, broken or damaged;

I know it says Drums but they are talking about disc brakes.

-Rich
    Sold
    '99TJ- 5.2L/NV3500/231
    HD 44 4.56 locked/d30 4.56 open
    RC 2.5"/1.25" BL
    36x13.5 IROK's

My build http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?t=8481

Yet another reason to scrap this BS system. In the last few months NJ and one of the Carolinas (can't remember which) have repealed their inspection laws because they are useless. Write to your state Rep.

Sounds like someone is being very thorough or finicky.....Scoring should only flunk if the lines/ridges are measured and found to be under spec.....
    Then again it is the inspectors license and his call....Fussy as it may sound!!!!
    Snoope

I picked up the truck and got some pads from NAPA.

I went to take off the passenger rear wheel (which had been previously removed and re-installed by the shop earlier in the day) and 3 lug nuts came off fine with the impact gun. The remaining 3 were on so tight that I needed a cheater pipe so long that I was standing on the end of the pipe with my hands bracing myself on the bumper. On one of them, the stud broke.

I was more than pissed and drove to the shop just before they closed to show them the busted stud. They told me come back the next day and talk with the service manager.

I replaced the pads (which were toast) and measured/inspected the rotors. The rotors were well within thickness spec (they are Toyota OEM rotors and I just replaced them last year) and didn't have any signs of "scoring" (nothing you could snag a fingernail on). The only ridge I could see was the build-up of brake dust, which flakes away when scraped.

The inspection is only $19.95, so I get the fact that they don't make money off of people that fix their own vehicles, but its a dirtbag move to invent problems. To save me the hassle, I think I would have had them go ahead and replace the pads if that was the only thing wrong. However, I knew the rotors were good.

I'll go back tomorrow and see what they say. The broken stud just sucks and it's possible that over-torquing them was intention.

Skibum, a letter to the State Rep sounds like a good move.
    [ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]

1997 LX450 Factory Locks, OME 2.5", 285/75 BFG, MetalTech Sliders, Cobra CB, Cup Holder

Did you fix the stud as that will fail it now!
    I don't fail for lightly scored rotors. As previously stated if they are deep, or beyond the minimun thickness then yes.
    You can repeal a fail to the DOT.
    If a shop refuses you a sticker for an item, and its is inspectable you can call DOT and they will send an officer out to investigate.
    Some people are like slinkys, not much good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!

That's absurd, sorry to hear that. I'd doubt the lugs were intentionally too tight... Unfortunately I'd bet it was just whoever put it on. Not sure which is worse.

If you do have lugnuts tight like that in the future, try putting the other 3 back on and torquing them down, then taking off the problem lugnuts. Maybe you tried that. It works for me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
    Did you fix the stud as that will fail it now!
    It broke at about 7:30PM last night so I couldn't get a new one. I'd like to replace all six now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
    You can repeal a fail to the DOT.
    If a shop refuses you a sticker for an item, and its is inspectable you can call DOT and they will send an officer out to investigate.
    I was wondering how that worked. I have no problems going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
    That's absurd, sorry to hear that. I'd doubt the lugs were intentionally too tight... Unfortunately I'd bet it was just whoever put it on. Not sure which is worse. If you do have lugnuts tight like that in the future, try putting the other 3 back on and torquing them down, then taking off the problem lugnuts. Maybe you tried that. It works for me sometimes.
    Yeah, thanks Nick; that's what I did. I lubed up the lugnuts (coated the captive washers etc.), reinstalled and snugged them down pretty good.
    [ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]

The proper way in my eyes is to tell the customer you fail for pads and we RECOMEND rotors becouse they are scorn , but the rotors pass ! recomend cuz its better for your new pads to be on a new surface and sometimes scoring can cause a brake pullsation ( or you will get a pullsation after you put new pads on old rotors ) and we leave it up to the customer to make the choice ! this way if there is a problem becouse they did not do rotors then its on them . I only fail rotors if they are not thick enough or if they are rusted to the point ware the hardened surface is flaking off the face of them !

owndog12 added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

All so keep in mind that 9 out of 10 brake jobs done with out doing rotors , poeple come back bitching cuz they have a pullsation or a noise or what ever . so some shops just say you need both !
    Last edited by owndog12; 08-09-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    BUY , SELL , TRADE
    WHAT YOU GOT , WHAT YOU NEED

Quote Originally Posted by redneckboarder12 View Post
    who cares...if i can touch them theyre real!

Looking at the official inspection print-out (paper copy that they give you), it just says it was rejected for pads. Even though they told me the rotors failed over the telephone, this wasn't reflected in the report. If the stud hadn't broken, I would be done and stickered now.

Yesterday, I went back to the shop (Kia of Somersworth) and showed the service manager the broken stud. I told him that since they tried to rip me off on the rotors and over-torqued the lug nuts, I wouldn't be back. It's a bummer as they are only two minutes from my house and are on the route to work.

I've got two big projects going on at work and I don't have the time/energy to fix the stud (going to replace all six studs just to feel confident), I called Rochester Tire and Automotive, dropped it off last night and they are going to fix it up and perform the inspection. It's good to have a shop you can trust.
    [ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]

Quote Originally Posted by Chaldaean View Post
    Looking at the official inspection print-out (paper copy that they give you), it just says it was rejected for pads. Even though they told me the rotors failed over the telephone, this wasn't reflected in the report. If the stud hadn't broken, I would be done and stickered now.

Yesterday, I went back to the shop (Kia of Somersworth) and showed the service manager the broken stud. I told him that since they tried to rip me off on the rotors and over-torqued the lug nuts, I wouldn't be back. It's a bummer as they are only two minutes from my house and are on the route to work.

I've got two big projects going on at work and I don't have the time/energy to fix the stud (going to replace all six studs just to feel confident), I called Rochester Tire and Automotive, dropped it off last night and they are going to fix it up and perform the inspection. It's good to have a shop you can trust.
    Your in good hands now bud
    BUY , SELL , TRADE

Quote Originally Posted by owndog12 View Post
    Your in good hands now bud
    X2 they do great work.

Except dwayne...avoid that tech!!

Tim
    It's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
    X2 they do great work.

Tim
    Ya all that guy does is stand around and look good !
    BUY , SELL , TRADE

Quote Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
    X2 they do great work.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by owndog12 View Post
    Ya all that guy does is stand around and look good !
    I heard he just puts around on the computer all the time...
    2005 Wrangler Rubicon 6spd - 2.5" OME Springs, Bilstein 5100's - 31" General Grabber AT2's
    2010 Mazda3 s - DD