Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: time2getlost.com

Default time2getlost.com

An armed society is a polite society.

Hartford.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

They definitly got a late start

Sean

Thanks for the sticky Mr. Smith.

I will try to update this thread as I go but if I forget or not able to, my blog will be the most current.

In a continuation of my Build Up thread, we are now on the road and headed for Ushuaia. We will be traveling swiftly through Central America and will be stopping at Panama Passage to hang out for a few days and get the truck shipped into Colombia. After Panama, we intend to slow down a bit, explore, and see the sights. We will still be traveling quicker than most and hope to hit Ushuaia in 5-7 weeks. At this point, we will see where the road takes us.

Once in Ushuaia, my driving partner will be departing and my wife will fly in to meet me. The two of us will then spend 3-6 months touring around Chile, Argentina, and hopefully back up to Colombia.

You can track our progress here: http://time2getlost.com/where-are-we/
    The Spot Tracker updates our location every 10 minutes while we are on the road.

Yesterday we stopped at Rausch Creek Off Road Park in PA for a little test run of all the new modifications. The truck worked well overall, despite breaking a u-joint early in the day. The joint itself was fine, but the retaining clip broke off and the driveshaft yoke slipped down, causing a knocking that we noticed right away. Because we noticed it so quickly, we were able to fix it by just popping in a new, heavy duty, snap-type retaining ring. After that, we were good to go for the rest of the day.

The tires performed flawlessly throughout the day in conditions ranging from wet nasty clay to very grippy rocks. The clay turned the tires into slicks, but it did the same to everyone, regardless of tire.

We started out at 18psi since I was unsure of what the tires would do. They were ok at this pressure but they didn't conform to the rocks as well as I liked. Our next stop was 10psi, and that is where we stayed for the day.

There was some water, but nothing major.

So much rock. The truck flexed out ok. I am still hoping that the springs break in a little bit.

Today we are headed to do a final shopping trip for supplies that we either forgot or planned to pick up on the road. Our optimistic target is to hit Mexico at some point on Monday. We are still about 30 hours out and we are starting late today so we will see how far we make it before getting too tired to continue.

We will post updates as we can. :sombrero:

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPSINCE1941 View Post
    They definitly got a late start

Sean
    har har har. You so funny.

Jill, Destin, and I are following you guys (on-line) on your trip. We wish you a fun & safe trip.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by B Bear View Post
    Jill, Destin, and I are following you guys (on-line) on your trip. We wish you a fun & safe trip.
    Thanks Brian :)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Quote Originally Posted by agent smith View Post
    That's awesome!!!!
    I wish we had the time to do even half of that kindda adventure.

Good luck and lots of fun!!!!!!!
    "It's not overbuilt..........it's excessively engineered."

Originally said by Measty:
    you can come burn anything you want except the house :)
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered will never know."

map is down on the site right now. Will fix tonigt. Currently in va getting oil changed.

I am on vacation this week, so I'll keep you posted on your site with any issues I find.
    Unless you guys are checking it yourself.

Map is back online and we are on the road. We are almost out of VA after spending 4 hours getting the oil changed and other misc stuff done. Added some insulation to the trans tunnel floor. The factory pad doesn't cover everything and it gets toasty when wearing sandals or just bare feet. Much better now. Truck is doing well so far. Forgot to mention that we busted the exhaust at Rausch. Sounds good now. Turbo spool is awesome. Pedal has been to the floor most of the way. Fuel mileage is suffering. Very hilly. We are at 2280ft as I am typing. The 200tdi has been maintaining a good 68ish on the flats and downhill while dropping to 52-55 on the bigger up-hills. We are still faster than most loaded semi trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by B Bear View Post
    I am on vacation this week, so I'll keep you posted on your site with any issues I find.
    Unless you guys are checking it yourself.
    let us know if you see any issues. Most updates are from phones or slow internet, so there is a high probability of messing things up and mot noticing.

How does vehicle registration work in other countries or continents? Reciprocity with NH or...?

Tim
    It's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
    How does vehicle registration work in other countries or continents? Reciprocity with NH or...?

Tim
    In addition is there any special requirements for licensing? And does you insurance policy cover damages for accidents in other countries?

I think you need to arrange insurance, but I don't think you have to do anything about registration.

To get into each country you need to get a temporary vehicle import certificate. To get this, the truck needs to be titled in the drivers name and it needs to match the address on the driver's license. If you have a lienholder, there is more paperwork.some countries want a valid registration from the drivers country of residence, but not all require it. Valid insurance for the country is required in most countries. These policies can be purchased at or very near the customs/aduana offices for relatively little money. You shouldn't expect these policies to actually cover anything, but they give you the certs that you need. If you want real insurance, you need to find a company that provides it. There are very few of them. Most accidents and disputes are handled with cash on the spot. There is a sense of personal responsibility once out of the states.

we just entered louisiana and should be in san antonio by 9ish. We will spend the night there since it will be too late to cross into mexico at that point. The good news is that we should be well rested and ready to go at 6am. Hopefully we can get throug with very little traffic that early on a weekday.

truck is doing ok. Oil hange place knocked off my wiper fluid reservoir and it melted all ove the turbo downpipe. They also overfilled the oil by about a qt and didn't grease any u-joints, check tire pressures, or check rear diff, like we asked. About what I would expect from an express oil change place. At least we got good oil. I wanted a small garage, but none were open on a sunday.

Uh oh so no windshield washer fluid now? That kinda sucks, you should try and get that fixed before you enter Mexico tomorrow. I bet you'll wish you had that when you get on some real dusty roads down south...
    2013 JKU Rubicon