Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To waggy or not to waggy....

thats why most people suggest one tons. the price difference is negligible. and you can get tons with 4.10s stock
    jon
    some parts to build a YJ buggy
    "look at life through the windshield not the rear view"

I have made up my mind and ordered all the stuff to complete the wj knuckle swap, tie rod flip, 4.56 gears and locker for the front (rear is already). Im just gonna hammer it until I get sick of beaking it. then I might go bigger.... thanks for all your input guys.
    Built by me, for me. If you dont like something about, it keep it to yourself...

88 comanchee, 4.0, sm465, dana 60 chevy front, 14 bolt rear (both full width). 3 link front, 17 inch bilstein tripple rate coilovers. 42.5X13.5X17 boggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman882000 View Post
    I have made up my mind and ordered all the stuff to complete the wj knuckle swap, tie rod flip, 4.56 gears and locker for the front (rear is already). Im just gonna hammer it for 15 sec till it breaks. then I might go bigger.... thanks for all your input guys.
    fixed

38s are way too big for a d30. your wasting your money. save a bit more and do it the right way the frist time.
    jon
    some parts to build a YJ buggy
    "look at life through the windshield not the rear view"

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSuth View Post
    not to bad with h1 wheels. they have a ton of backspacing

Keeping the stock back spacing with H1s will bring up other clearance problems.
    Most hit the Tie-rod at the stock mounting point on the knuckle for one.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

I have made up my mind and ordered all the stuff to complete the wj knuckle swap, tie rod flip, 4.56 gears and locker for the front (rear is already). Im just gonna hammer it until I get sick of beaking it. then I might go bigger.... thanks for all your input guys.
    Good choice...IMHO.
    If those "Waggy" axles came out of a p/u, they are going to be wider than actual Wagoneer axles. Plus, all the previously mentioned details........
    "It's not overbuilt..........it's excessively engineered."

Originally said by Measty:
    you can come burn anything you want except the house :)
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered will never know."

must be out of a j10 then
    "Mr. T the tree guy."
    My Build http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?t=7093
    Adam
    TR- 98 XJ
    DD- 08 Tacoma
    DD- 00 SL1 Sold
    92 Camry R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-speed XJ View Post
    must be out of a j10 then
    Well, that's what was mentioned in the 1st post, but they were still being referred to as Waggy's.
    Yes, the same Jeep style axles, but not the same width. Every inch counts (least that's what SHE tells me!)
    "It's not overbuilt..........it's excessively engineered."

Originally said by Measty:
    you can come burn anything you want except the house :)
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered will never know."

Ya the J truck would be 65" wide. A grand waggy is 60".
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

I am going to keep my eyes out for a hp 44 from an old ford. n run the 30 for now. I have less than 500 bucks in gears, locker and wj swap... so why not right? prob going to run 37" trxus mts. my buddy has been running 38 tsls on a d30 for 2 years now. no probs. and it is the disco housing and shafts. n he doesnt baby it. prob has to do with the muddy logging roads we moslty wheel on...
    Built by me, for me. If you dont like something about, it keep it to yourself...

88 comanchee, 4.0, sm465, dana 60 chevy front, 14 bolt rear (both full width). 3 link front, 17 inch bilstein tripple rate coilovers. 42.5X13.5X17 boggers.

I run the same thing in my YJ...a narrowed HP HD 44 from a 79 F150 Supercab. They have the heavier .500 wall axle tubes. You have 2 good choices to narrow to and not have to use custom inner axle shafts. Wagoneer width which gives you a 60 inch WMS-WMS or you can run Rubicon inner shafts which will give you 62.5 inch WMS-WMS. Going with off the shelf shafts keeps the cost down and replacements are easier.
    Last edited by shimxtr1; 03-03-2011 at 09:41 AM.

the j10 axles are 65" so im told... poss to use those shafts? I narrrowed one down 2 years ago but never put shafts in it, sold it first.

You can have them cut down and splined to match whatever size you narrow to. Mitchel Diferential in Shrewsbury Mass is who I have used in the past for stuff like that.

my buddy has been running 38 tsls on a d30 for 2 years now. no probs. and it is the disco housing and shafts. n he doesnt baby it.
    I know that guy,, I think he is trying to blow up the disco shafts before he swaps to the TJ one piece ones. Just won't die for some reason though
    1947 cj2a all stock

1951 cj3a, small lift, 33's and some other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 98blacksahara View Post
    I know that guy,, I think he is trying to blow up the disco shafts before he swaps to the TJ one piece ones. Just won't die for some reason though
    Ya mud will do that.

NTC
    NEA

I realize the d30 isn't ideal, but everything up here is covered in slime and snot. I would like to do a 44, but anything junkyard will have a bolt pattern change and I will lose all my current steering/brake upgrades.
    The BDS TJ that runs petersons ultimate adventure is running 37 inch MTR's with a HP30 and an 8.8 with chromo's and a few other upgrades. Sure he brakes once and awhile, but everyone does.

I am not worried about blowing up shafts, they are easy to change and I carry spares. When I get sick of the snap crackle po noises, I'll save for a bolt in style 44 that will accept my wj knuckle swap etc.
    Last edited by 98blacksahara; 03-03-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    1947 cj2a all stock

1951 cj3a, small lift, 33's and some other crap