Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 116

Thread: 98 tj gears

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    epping nh
    Posts
    408

    Default 98 tj gears

    i have a 98 wrangler with the 4 cylinder motor. i was wondering what gears are in this thing along with front and rear ends dana 35?
    i run 3" all terrains now but hopefully by spring i will have my 4 inch x flex suspension kit and 33" mud terrains.
    so whats the best gearing 456? i still need to drive this thing to work to. im fine with doing 65-70 and not redlining on the highway. so whats my best option? around 3000-3300 rpm doing 70 would be fine seeing thats where i have to run it to have any chance of making it up hills...lol
    98 TJ. 4 hella ligts,rough contry 4"x series lift and rock krawler x factor steering setup,33x12.5x15" bfg km's,mbrp exaust,8.8 waiting build.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Weare NH
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98whttj View Post
    i have a 98 wrangler with the 4 cylinder motor. i was wondering what gears are in this thing along with front and rear ends dana 35?
    i run 3" all terrains now but hopefully by spring i will have my 4 inch x flex suspension kit and 33" mud terrains.
    so whats the best gearing 456? i still need to drive this thing to work to. im fine with doing 65-70 and not redlining on the highway. so whats my best option? around 3000-3300 rpm doing 70 would be fine seeing thats where i have to run it to have any chance of making it up hills...lol
    You should have 4.10's And if you want my $.02 i would not regear till you swap out that rear Dana 35 axle.
    The front is a Dana30 and should hold up to some abuse.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

    NTC
    NEA

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    epping nh
    Posts
    408

    Default

    so running it stock should be fine doing so trail runs and obstacles? i mean i know on tough stuff we are going slow anyways just didnt know if i should upgrade? what would u run for axles?
    98 TJ. 4 hella ligts,rough contry 4"x series lift and rock krawler x factor steering setup,33x12.5x15" bfg km's,mbrp exaust,8.8 waiting build.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Weare NH
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98whttj View Post
    so running it stock should be fine doing so trail runs and obstacles? i mean i know on tough stuff we are going slow anyways just didnt know if i should upgrade? what would u run for axles?
    With that motor and 33s you would be much better of with 4.56s But that rear axle the Dana35 is not worth spending the coin on. It has a high failure rate.. You can do many thing's even with 4.10s and 33s but it would be much easier on the rest of the drive line if it was geared lower. One of the Best axles to swap into a Wrangler is a the Ford 8.8. Its the best fit you will find and its a very strong axle stock.. But its not cheap to swap if you have coils like you have.. If you take it easy and don't lock the Dana35 it will give you many fun wheeling trips. But just know that it is a weak point.
    Last edited by Mach2NH; 01-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

    NTC
    NEA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    epping nh
    Posts
    408

    Default

    yah i have read that the rear is a weak point thats kinda why i was posting to get some other peoples insight on what i should do for gearing and rear end. thanks i appreciate any info
    98 TJ. 4 hella ligts,rough contry 4"x series lift and rock krawler x factor steering setup,33x12.5x15" bfg km's,mbrp exaust,8.8 waiting build.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    If you going to spend the money to do a gear swap with a 4 cylinder go 4.88s

    Sean

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Weare NH
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JEEPSINCE1941 View Post
    If you going to spend the money to do a gear swap with a 4 cylinder go 4.88s

    Sean
    But with that said you now make the front Dana 30 an even weaker axle going that low in gearing. People run 4.88s with the 30 all the time but its just one more thing to think about..
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

    NTC
    NEA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    epping nh
    Posts
    408

    Default

    so unless i spend a ton of money doing a 8.8 rear end and still having to do the front whats my best option? 4.56's and some new aftermarket axles?
    98 TJ. 4 hella ligts,rough contry 4"x series lift and rock krawler x factor steering setup,33x12.5x15" bfg km's,mbrp exaust,8.8 waiting build.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Weare NH
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    If it was me. And i tend to go a little over kill with things.
    I would swap in a high pinion D30 from a XJ and gear that axle. That gear set will hold up longer with 4.88s. The gears are cut different then the standard dana30. Plus its a bolt in swap. And then i would swap in a 8.8 and gear that axle to 4.88's.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

    NTC
    NEA

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    The XJ front axle does bolt in but there is no caster adjustment on the a XJ axle because XJs adust caster on the control arm mount on the body, so he will need to put in adjustable control arms. Yes the XJ is a HP30 which is stronger, but with a 4 cylinder, it will take him a lot longer to abuse the 30 then someone with a 4.0. And with a 4 cylinder the D35 will survive a lot longer and really depending on how/where he wheels with the Jeep the setup could last him forever. The big thing is a 4 cylider with 33s is REALLY slow so either you regear it, and if you swap in a 8.8 you didn't solve anything, or you swap in a bigger motor. 4.10s and a 4.0 with 33s and that Jeep will go great.

    Sean

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Weare NH
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JEEPSINCE1941 View Post
    The XJ front axle does bolt in but there is no caster adjustment on the a XJ axle because XJs adust caster on the control arm mount on the body, so he will need to put in adjustable control arms. Yes the XJ is a HP30 which is stronger, but with a 4 cylinder, it will take him a lot longer to abuse the 30 then someone with a 4.0. And with a 4 cylinder the D35 will survive a lot longer and really depending on how/where he wheels with the Jeep the setup could last him forever. The big thing is a 4 cylider with 33s is REALLY slow so either you regear it, and if you swap in a 8.8 you didn't solve anything, or you swap in a bigger motor. 4.10s and a 4.0 with 33s and that Jeep will go great.

    Sean

    Well installing new control arm mounts are not a big deal and should be done any for the stock setup is junk. And even a 4 cyl can snap a 44 shaft with 4.56's and 33s.

    %97 of all the class 6 trails/road in NH are fine for stock axles. But gearing would still help even on them. If you want to stay on the cheap. Then look around for someone selling a geared D35 they go for cheap coin.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

    NTC
    NEA

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    concord nh
    Posts
    3,747

    Default

    i would not spend the $$$$ to go from 4.10 to 4.56. just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post
    That is a true statement. The only house I would be even less inclined to steal a hose from would be mud_junkys...
    Quote Originally Posted by agent smith View Post
    If you really want to be All-American buy a Ford,at least they didn't take money from dot gov to keep afloat from their poor buisness decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by team420 View Post
    Either way... I DO think Ford makes the best vehicles on the market today,

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Posts
    451

    Default

    I wouldn't bother spending cash on regearing that thing. If you really want to get some where, find a 4.0 out of a junker of similar year and swap it in first off. The gains will be so much more than just a regear on that lil 4 banger, and your price difference shouldn't be too much.
    4.0/AW4/NP231, AA SYE, Mutant RC/RE 4.5" lift, RC adjustable CAs, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, 8.8 rear/LSD/4.10s/disc brakes, Aussie locked D30 front, 297x alloy joint upgraded shafts, snorkel, wilderness rack. KB1RGV Operating on 2M.
    "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    epping nh
    Posts
    408

    Default

    so how much is involved in an engine swap? are we talking cutting up the frame? or will a 6 go in pretty easy?
    98 TJ. 4 hella ligts,rough contry 4"x series lift and rock krawler x factor steering setup,33x12.5x15" bfg km's,mbrp exaust,8.8 waiting build.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bennington, NH
    Posts
    4,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98whttj View Post
    so how much is involved in an engine swap? are we talking cutting up the frame? or will a 6 go in pretty easy?
    Ask Ron (soup31314) about that. He was riding with Becca (JeepGirl) in the dark blue TJ today. He was going to do the swap in his last year when he blew up his 4 cylinder.
    My Jeep: http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?t=7394


    Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Lindsay says, "pick on somebody your own size".


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •