Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunchbox Lockers?

Default Lunchbox Lockers?

Let's say I was broke. Let's just say. That would pretty much leave out the OX locker that I wanted to have on the Jeep prior to the next Jamboree. So, in an effort to make the rig more capable but avoid any ugliness (like flying dishes or divorce lawyers) I'm thinking about a cheap, interim locker for the rear D44. Something like a Lockrite, Aussie or any of a half dozen others. Anybody have any recommendations? Is one brand any better than another? Stronger? Easier to install? Etc. Thanks in advance.

aussie x100, i have them front and back and i love them, pretty quiet ( i sont drive on the road much) a lunchbox will take some getting used to cuz they all make noise and behave different

it took me about 45 min to install mine
    jon
    some parts to build a YJ buggy
    "look at life through the windshield not the rear view"

they dont make stuff like that for d60's do they? i tried looking and couldnt find them.
    To each his own, just drive it like it

R.I.P. Brandon Keith Newton (9/8/89 - 7/2/07)
    http://www.facebook.com/raynewton1485
    myspace.com/raynewton1485

Aussie hands down, i got a aussie in the rear and lockrite in the frt, aussie is alot smoother nevr had a issue with it popping or banging, the lockrite if i pull into parking spaces to fast or sharp uturn to quick, it will act up

ROBZ95XJ added 0 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

Quote Originally Posted by raynewton1485 View Post
    they dont make stuff like that for d60's do they? i tried looking and couldnt find them.
    aussie dosnt make any for the 60, but lockrite does, i see you have a dodge 2500, i wouldnt waste money on that 60
    Last edited by ROBZ95XJ; 12-01-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, does not like the 98
    1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport, has no idea whats going on
    1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited, stealing money from the 95

im looking for the front one, and why? whats wrong with my 60? i know it has a 2 piece axle on one side and hub bearings, but its way easier than buying and swapping another one. this is my daily driver and will get wheeled occasionally, then it will be a tow rig once i get a real trail rig

Quote Originally Posted by raynewton1485 View Post
    im looking for the front one, and why? whats wrong with my 60? i know it has a 2 piece axle on one side and hub bearings, but its way easier than buying and swapping another one. this is my daily driver and will get wheeled occasionally, then it will be a tow rig once i get a real trail rig
    its a oddball 60 with 32 spline shafts i dont know who has a locker for it

anyone run a locker with an Automatic transmission? Is it any different/ make a difference????

lunchboxes are better with autos

the torque converter absorbs some of the loading/unloading that the locker does

i have a 5 spd and i have to push the clutch in when turning slowly on pavement
    jon
    some parts to build a YJ buggy
    "look at life through the windshield not the rear view"

so maybe at some point I should think about a locker then.

aussie

and the power trax. they both work the same way

and a quick lok
    Last edited by Ranger Dave; 12-01-2009 at 07:07 PM.

oh ok i see about the splines. i allready have a factory limited slip in the rear and 4.11's, just wanted to upgrade a little bit. im gonna get new axle shafts front and rear and save the old ones for spares and upgrade the ujoints in the whole truck anyways. thanks for the help and sorry if i hijacked this one!

I just installed a lockrite on my tacoma. I too was nervous about the streetability but now i've found its not bad at all.

I run a 5 speed so if I want to make it "act up" I can but as for normal driving around town I haven't had to modify my driving style.

Onramps and offramps if your in the throttle you can slighty feel the front fighting the push.
    Around town I was amazed at just how much power you need in order to lock it up. I thought just a slight amount of throttle would lock it but you can still apply gas around a corner and just hear a faint clicking.

Now, as far as brands, I can't comment. I've just run the lockrite for now. Though I wouldn't hesitate throwing a lunchbox in another Daily driver.

i run mine on the street.

JP or Peterson's ran a locker comparison a couple of months ago, but of course I can't find it now. Anyway, I thought I remember them saying that one of the lunchbox lockers installed way easier than the others because there were no springs. Anybody still have a copy of that comparison test?

Quote Originally Posted by B Bear View Post
    anyone run a locker with an Automatic transmission? Is it any different/ make a difference????
    i dont notice any diffrent, ive had my mom drive my jeep and never notice it either