Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dun_right
    • May 2018

Spray Booth or similar help?

I want to bed line my hard top both exterior and interior. There are some dings and scratches that have let the white fiberglass exposed. I'm leaning mostly towards Raptor Line, but I want to spray it instead of roll it on. It would be killer if someone on here knew of or had a spray booth, or some sort of space they have set up to do this type of stuff. It doesn't need to be anytime soon. In the near future would be perfect. Or even after winter. I'll gladly pay any sort of rental fee and beer or food for advice and guidance lol. I've painted stuff before, but not on this scale where it needs to evenly done to get a nice finished product.

I was thinking I could get a harbor freight car port and then just attach tarps that hang down and setup a makeshift "booth". I'd rather do it indoors to have everything go smoothly. If i need to wait until spring and go the route I mentioned, I will. Its worth it for me to rent instead of mickey mouse it.

Thanks in advance!
  • mb523
    Resident radio nerd

MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by dun_right
    I want to bed line my hard top both exterior and interior. There are some dings and scratches that have let the white fiberglass exposed. I'm leaning mostly towards Raptor Line, but I want to spray it instead of roll it on. It would be killer if someone on here knew of or had a spray booth, or some sort of space they have set up to do this type of stuff. It doesn't need to be anytime soon. In the near future would be perfect. Or even after winter. I'll gladly pay any sort of rental fee and beer or food for advice and guidance lol. I've painted stuff before, but not on this scale where it needs to evenly done to get a nice finished product.

I was thinking I could get a harbor freight car port and then just attach tarps that hang down and setup a makeshift "booth". I'd rather do it indoors to have everything go smoothly. If i need to wait until spring and go the route I mentioned, I will. Its worth it for me to rent instead of mickey mouse it.

Thanks in advance!
    Are you looking to spray from a rattle can or a spray gun? I've done a lot of rattle can AND roll on bed liner jobs (bumpers, fenders, tubs, rockers, underbody) with great success. It is a pretty forgiving medium as well so even a bit of a mess-up still looks like bed liner once dried.

I'm not aware of any shops around that rents their spray booths out. I don't see why you couldn't just protect the ground with a tarp, mask everything off, scuff it up and have at it with a roller or spray (can or gun). Protect from over-spray and you should be golden. Mind my asking why spray vs. roll on?
    Mr. Red - 2006 H3
    Lindy - 1998 K2500 : RIP
    WAGGLER - 1999 TJ: RIP
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

GMRS: WRAR675 | KG-1000G | GMRS-V1 | GM-30 | GMRS-PRO

Comment

• Ivoryring
      MappingNH Trail Scout
      • Apr 2012

I'm curious why you want to bedline the hard top. I've never given it much thought - what is the problem you are trying to fix or prevent?
      -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

Miss Jean - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - mine-mine-mine-no-matter-what-the-bank-says - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?33005
      Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy
      Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet

Comment

• dun_right
        • May 2018

Originally posted by mb523
        Are you looking to spray from a rattle can or a spray gun? I've done a lot of rattle can AND roll on bed liner jobs (bumpers, fenders, tubs, rockers, underbody) with great success. It is a pretty forgiving medium as well so even a bit of a mess-up still looks like bed liner once dried.

I'm not aware of any shops around that rents their spray booths out. I don't see why you couldn't just protect the ground with a tarp, mask everything off, scuff it up and have at it with a roller or spray (can or gun). Protect from over-spray and you should be golden. Mind my asking why spray vs. roll on?

The kit I'm most interested in is by Raptor Line because it specifically says its UV resistant. It comes with a gun and the containers screw onto the gun. all i need is a compressor. From research that I've done and comparison pictures, rolling gives it a more aggressive finish. I want to spray it so its more even. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's just what I've learned over the past few days of surfing the web and watching videos.

I definitely could just spray it outside but I'd rather not have the chance of junk and dirt kicking up at it and get impregnated into the finish. I'm completely okay and expect it to get scratched and messed up wheeling, but I don't want to start out with it being off. If that makes sense? I'm not in the whole "its a jeep, just run it" mind set.

Comment

• dun_right
          • May 2018

Originally posted by Ivoryring
          I'm curious why you want to bedline the hard top. I've never given it much thought - what is the problem you are trying to fix or prevent?
          When I bought the Jeep, it came with the hard top. It has a couple small spots where it got dinged from the last owner exposing the fiberglass underneath. When I took it off this past spring to throw the soft top on, I had my girlfriend try to help me, which ended up me doing pretty much all of it. It got more scratches on it exposing the white. I'd rather throw a couple coats of bedliner on it to at least protect it that much more so i dont have to mess around with worrying about something getting scratched and need to go through a whole process of touching it up. If it's just bedlined, spray a little on the spot and boom, good to go. plus I like the look of it. I'm still thinking if I want to do the inside as well while I'm at it, because the white is horrendous lol.

Comment

• Ivoryring
            MappingNH Trail Scout
            • Apr 2012

When I bought the Jeep, it came with the hard top. It has a couple small spots where it got dinged from the last owner exposing the fiberglass underneath. When I took it off this past spring to throw the soft top on, I had my girlfriend try to help me, which ended up me doing pretty much all of it. It got more scratches on it exposing the white. I'd rather throw a couple coats of bedliner on it to at least protect it that much more so i dont have to mess around with worrying about something getting scratched and need to go through a whole process of touching it up. If it's just bedlined, spray a little on the spot and boom, good to go. plus I like the look of it. I'm still thinking if I want to do the inside as well while I'm at it, because the white is horrendous lol.
            Thanks for indulging my curiosity. Is rattlecan touchup of bedliner easier than rattlecan touchup of paint?
            -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

Miss Jean - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - mine-mine-mine-no-matter-what-the-bank-says - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?33005
            Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy
            Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet

Comment

• dun_right
              • May 2018

Originally posted by Ivoryring
              Thanks for indulging my curiosity. Is rattlecan touchup of bedliner easier than rattlecan touchup of paint?
              Ya no problem! My idea is it would be thicker and more of a shell so it wouldn’t be prone to scuffing and exposing the fiberglass. It would be like a self healing coat almost. Then to touch it up if needed, clean it and slap more on. In my experience with touching up paint it needs some sort of protective coat over the paint itself, so that it wouldn’t be prone to fading and potentially just chipping again. More finicky in my opinion.

Comment

• mtyler11
                MappingNH Trail Scout
                • Apr 2016

I want to bed line my hard top both exterior and interior. ...
                If you haven't already looked into it, Rhinoliner and similar products off-gas alot and are not safe for enclosed space (like vehicle cab). I'll try to find the safe stuff links, but unless you plan to drive with the windows down all the time (boy that'll be cold in winter) I wouldn't bedline the interior.
                -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
                '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
                -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
                '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
                -----3" lift, Heftyfab skids & winch bumper, Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Comment

• NotThePainter
                  MappingNH Trail Scout
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mtyler11
                  If you haven't already looked into it, Rhinoliner and similar products off-gas alot and are not safe for enclosed space (like vehicle cab). I'll try to find the safe stuff links, but unless you plan to drive with the windows down all the time (boy that'll be cold in winter) I wouldn't bedline the interior.
                  Interesting. I've not heard that but it makes sense. Monster Liner specifically mentions "Jeep Tubs" as an application.
                  --
                  Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
                  Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Comment

• BlueberryHill
                    Supporting Member Tier 1
                    MappingNH Trail Scout
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by NotThePainter
                    Interesting. I've not heard that but it makes sense. Monster Liner specifically mentions "Jeep Tubs" as an application.
                    Uh oh, there's a lot of Jeeps running around with "bed liner" tubs... Maybe just Monster Liner specifically?
                    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.10 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, Warn 9.5ti, a bunch of skid plates

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
                    Tread Lightly!
                    KC1EIJ

Comment

• dun_right
                      • May 2018

Originally posted by mtyler11
                      Thanks for that tip lol. I’ll skip that entirely and just deal with the white. I’ll have to look into that. Not once did I see that mentioned in any other forum posts out there. I’m glad I put this up here.

Comment

• mtyler11
                        MappingNH Trail Scout
                        • Apr 2016

use lizard skin for alternative

found the article I'd read a while back. https://raybuck.com/bed-liner-inside-truck-cab/
                        -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
                        '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
                        -----3" lift, Heftyfab skids & winch bumper, Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Comment

• mtyler11
                          MappingNH Trail Scout
                          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by NotThePainter
                          was looking at the MSDS and went over their webpage, looks like once it's cured it would be OK. But give it a good week to cure (per their instructions for full cure vs dry to touch/light scuffing)

But I know alot of the other bed liners in a can and LineX, Rhinoliner... they offgas for a good long time. you could still smell my bed off-gassing a month later.
                          '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X

Comment

Working...