Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovery Issue

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    ...The welded base looks intact to me...
    Agreed. It is just a bung plug and was simply not completely welded from the factory anyways. In my opinion, the only damage is the bumper skin and the purposely "weak link", which is the threaded eye hook. I wish you good luck with Toyota and hope you are able to get it to a point where you are happy.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Oh man. I misunderstood, I thought you were saying you used the small loops under the bumper. (The transport tiedowns)

That "tow eye" in every towing manual I've ever read on any car that uses a screw in tow eye specifically says they are only for pulling a car in neutral onto a flatbed. They are not designed for any off-angle pull, securement of the vehicle in transport, or any hard pull at all. I've seen tow guys pull on those to get someone out of a snow bank and rip the whole front clip of a vehicle off.

Unless your owner's manual says something different, I don't know if Subaru is gonna do much. That being said, I don't have any SPECIFIC knowledge about Subarus, just that the standard procedure for the towing industry is to treat those as very fragile and only used for loading. They were originated on European import cars when we first started seeing them, but Subaru with their offroader marketing might have different standards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, getting a whole lotta love this winter. Atlas-4, Waggy 44 swap, 3-link/4-link, 37" Pitbulls, maybe some coilovers or air struts? Stay tuned!
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

I downloaded the manual for a 2018 CrossTrek, and was quite surprised by the chosen verbiage.

"Towing hooks and tie-down hooks/holes - If towing is necessary, it is best done by your SUBARU dealer or a commercial towing service. Observe the following procedures for safety.The towing hooks should be used only in an emergency(e.g.,to free a stuck vehicle from mud, sand or snow).

. Use only the specified towing hooks and tie-down hooks/holes. Never use suspension parts or other parts of the body for towing or tie-down purposes.. To prevent deformation to the front bumper and the towing hook, do not apply excessive lateral load to the towing hooks."

That to me says some lateral load is acceptable, and these are only to be used to free a stuck vehicle.

Full section of manual for a 2018 CrossTrek

Manual came from https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-resources.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.56.54 PM.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	32634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.56.06 PM.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	32633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.56.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	32635  
    1992 RRC Alpine White "Grover" - Gone
    1988 Defender 90 Black "Ralph"- Gone
    2006 LR3 Tonga Green "Greenie"- Gone
    1988 RRC Portofino Red "Randy"
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green "Rocket"
    2000 DII Oxford Pearl Blue Metallic "R2"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    I know it's a new(er) vehicle and you want it to look mint, but scars can be a "badge" that says "I use my rig, it's not just a pretty face". Every scratch and dent on mine is a story... So fix it the best you can and you have a story!
    Sign and date it.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    Sign and date it.
    Funny, my cousin suggested the same thing this morning when I pointed out the latest ding from following Agnes at Rausch.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

As yet unnamed: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, automatic, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

Hey guys,

I can't thank you all enough for the tips and advise on this issue. I'm working with Subaru's customer service still working to get this sorted out. If they won't do anything, i'm just gonna epoxy it from behind so it holds flush, and then use some touch up paint so it doesn't look bad. I may have to sign and date it on the back.

As well, thank you for pulling up the subaru crosstrek manual on towing as I may be able to use that as leverage to help me out a bit if they are still hesitant about it.

Moving forward, what do you recommend, if anything if I ever have to be pulled out from something? Pull straight?? Thanks again!

MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    ...a recover/snatch strap or rope? I would suggest the latter, as those purpose built ropes, like Bubba, do a wonderful job of absorbing the shock from an extraction, as they stretch the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.arsenault View Post
    ...Moving forward, what do you recommend, if anything if I ever have to be pulled out from something? Pull straight?? Thanks again!
    Plus use a weight on the line to deaden it, if the hook does indeed get pulled out :O

Or don't get stuck :p

Something else to think about, is traction aids to self extract. Such items could be as simple as sand[for ice] or even mats[for snow]. Believe it or not, I actually keep all my pistachio shells to use here at the homestead, as they work amazing on the steep driveway and very icy parking area ;)

Again, hope this helps and good luck :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

As well, thank you for pulling up the subaru crosstrek manual on towing as I may be able to use that as leverage to help me out a bit if they are still hesitant about it.
    What was the wording in the owner's manual?
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

So another, and possibly the last update. Subaru said they won't cover it, and I just tried to explain everything as in detail as I could to ask them to look it over again. They pointed out that section of the owners manual referring to lateral pulling can damage the front bumper.

In a last ditch effort after explaining, I referenced a couple of commercials saying that they show that the crosstrek is capable in mud and off the main road, and I just hoped that the towing gear would be capable in a recovery if the situation every arrises. Most likely, I'll just fix it as best I can and keep a little battle scar for the story books :)

Went in for an oil change on it, and the didn't notice the damage, or mention anything to me, so as long as it is fixed before I turn in the lease, i'll be all set.

I'll let everyone know if the folks at SoA change their mind, and if not, i'll post up a picture of the fix once I'm done with it!

@Rubicon, I like your idea of the pistachio shells, may have helped a little bit, going to have to consider snacking on those whenever i'm on the trails now

MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

...@Rubicon, I like your idea of the pistachio shells, may have helped a little bit, going to have to consider snacking on those whenever i'm on the trails now
    We buy the in-shell ones by the 3 pound bags over at BJ's and save the shells in a plastic shopping bag. We must have saved about 3 bags worth the first time I needed them, and they worked amazing! I probably have about 2 bags worth saved up since. What I am saying is that it takes a lot, so start saving now. It obviously helps to have a friend add to the pile. Plus they are Keto friendly ;)

... @Rubicon, I like your idea of the pistachio shells, may have helped a little bit, going to have to consider snacking on those whenever i'm on the trails now
    the shells are pretty good for ice conditions, for snow/mud/sand... traction mats are a godsend.

Amazon has seen them come down in price alot... one, two, three, or search " traction mat "

You could also look for used snowmobile tracks. a 4ft length would be plenty.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    the shells are pretty good for ice conditions...You could also look for used snowmobile tracks. a 4ft length would be plenty.
    Thanks Tyler!
    My just divulged my "secret weapon", a picked snowmobile track that I keep in back of my Ranger, and had to use it twice this week on a Class VI