Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vobs 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
    Just registered and looking forward to it.

Being my first event of this type I'm wondering if there are any vehicle requirements (I'm building off the vehicle requirements on this site), or things I should keep in mind? Do they generally have differing levels?
    A week or so before the event, Peter will email you a set of trails maps of the area. There is a range of difficultly levels, from stock appropriate to fairly difficult. I took a look at your signature and it looks like you should be good to go for most of the trails because you have good recovery points front and rear as well as sliders. The only other thing I could possible see the desire for would be skids for the transfercase or IFS. My guess is that you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Lumpskie; 01-09-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

I'll be there as a first-timer, too!

What do you recommend for comms? FRS, Ham, CB, GMRS? Not sure if there's one that's more common than others if people are putting together group rides at the event.
    Matt C.

2014 4Runner Trail Premium | MLO GTS Suspension w/ 3" Lift | 285/70/17 BFG KO2 | RCI Sliders & Full Skids

Basically this is an open fun event. You will get the information a week before the event. ExploringNH will be setup down in the corner of the main field. If you get there early enough you can grab a camping site near us. There are some planned things happening during the event each day but for the most part its a go at your own pace type of event. They try to limit group sizes to lessen the impact on the terrain and the locals. We usually end up leading a small group on the harder trails with me driving and Anthony navigating. If it works out for you to join us that is great, if not, there will be no shortage of friendly like minded people there to converse with and hit the trails with.

As far as comms we brought FRS radios and CB's. Usually that covers most vehicles. Recommended equipment would be similar to ENH with specifics for your vehicle added on and anything else that you require to get you off the trail.

Looking forward to the event.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    A week or so before the event, Peter will email you a set of trails maps of the area. There is a range of difficultly levels, from stock appropriate to fairly difficult. I took a look at your signature and it looks like you should be good to go for most of the trails because you have good recovery points front and rear as well as sliders. The only other thing I could possible see the desire for would be skids for the transfercase or IFS. My guess is that you should be good to go.
    I should have skids installed by that time. Other than that its just finally installing a winch and comms.

Hoping to get some trail time in prior to that.
    2014 Nissan Xterra S: Extended Radflos (2.5" Lift), SPC UCAs, Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Bumper, P&P Engineering Level III Sliders.

Member: Tread Lightly!, Overland Bound (#13805)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
    Hoping to get some trail time in prior to that.
    Good news! The ExploringNH Offroading/Overlanding 101 session is always scheduled a couple months before the Vermont Overland Birdwatching Safari!

____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_). BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle

Thanks for the plug Matt. I am actually in the process of working out the logistics of a few dates and I am hoping to open up the schedule within the next 2 weeks.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    Thanks for the plug Matt. I am actually in the process of working out the logistics of a few dates and I am hoping to open up the schedule within the next 2 weeks.
    +1, thanks Matt! Looking forward to VOBS (CDA and I will be there) as well as the 101/102 trainings this upcoming season!

Also looking forward to some delicious Vermont beer (after the day's driving is done, of course).
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    +1, thanks Matt! Looking forward to VOBS (CDA and I will be there) as well as the 101/102 trainings this upcoming season!

Also looking forward to some delicious Vermont beer (after the day's driving is done, of course).
    Woohooo!
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

Im interested in the 101 session and meeting some ENH members.

I went to my first VOBS last year. Its a really great time. Awesome vibes, lots of great people and fantastic food trucks Fri and Sat evenings. As mentioned before the maps are very helpful and the app is really trick even if it is a little expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    VOBS = 25% great trails, 25% great scenery, 25% great food and 25% great beer. And 25% great friends. Yes, it's a 125% experience!

And as Paul mentioned, we have officially locked in our favorite corner of the main field for 2019!

Last edited by MattJ; 01-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    ____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_). BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle

cda is offline Purveyor of Shenanigans Supporting Member Tier 1
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    Woohooo!
    Very much looking forward to this!

Default Yea VT again

Ill be going again this year!
    Had a great time last year (and really good soup too)

Looking forward to driving with a bit less built rigs. If anyone else interested.

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    I'll keep an eye out. I missed the Fall 2018 class so hoping I'll get enough notice so I can attend one this year.
    2014 Nissan Xterra S: Extended Radflos (2.5" Lift), SPC UCAs, Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Bumper, P&P Engineering Level III Sliders.

Member: Tread Lightly!, Overland Bound (#13805)

Message from Peter Vollers:

Hello all!

I hope everyone's enjoying an awesome winter! As many of you already know, VO's sole surviving overlanding event is the Vermont Overland Birdwatching Safari (fka VOR). As I'm sure you can imagine, this event is no easy task to pull off in a state where motorized recreation is not everyone's cup of tea. We persevere for one reason and one reason only: you lovely people having such a fabulous time and supporting both the event and our local businesses.
    New for this year will be the inclusion of many more maps heading both north and south, plus we're working on a new mapping system that will hopefully be able to show whole counties of Class 4 road sectors on one map! We're also really focusing on the featured stops on the maps, truly off the beaten path spots where most tourists fear to tread.
    Which brings me to the reason for this email:
    ONLY 18 REGULAR SPOTS LEFT!!!
    Every year after the event sells out I get literally hundreds of emails from folks asking if they can still get in. DON'T BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE, REGISTER TODAY!!!
    Peter Vollers, Vermont Overland
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Default Vobs 2019

Great event. I met Dmitri there last year. Camped near the bridge that crosses the small stream.