Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: CB Radio Sticky?

Default CB Radio Sticky?

Hi!

I was searching through the forums to find information on CB radios and such, seeing as I found them mandatory on several group events. After reading a few of them I noticed a common trend of various CB questions being asked a lot, and members referring back to previous posts. After I while I felt like I was going to one thread, to be referred to another, which went to another, to find that there were threads that had the information in it, but it was buried somewhere a dozen pages in. The threads answered most of the questions regarding purchasing a CB and equipment, but almost none of them had information on setting up the CB, such as tuning.

Would it be possible to have a Sticky for CB Radios with an FAQ that would help alleviate some of these questions? That way someone who is just getting into wheeling in groups can quickly and easily find what they need. For example, I was trying to find information regarding using a magnetic antenna or a mounted one, and whether I would need to tune it every time I removed it (in either case). Now that I think about it, it would probably be best to have something that covers all comms FAQ's, because a newbie might not know what an FRS radio does vs an HAM radio or a CB or what GMRS is.

What do you think?
    95' ZJ, 4.0L I6, AX-15 5-Speed, NP231, 3/8" D30 Diff Cover, Lotsa Miles

Definitely a good idea. And going through the forum has been quite and undertaking. There are thousands of threads and many redundancies. I am trying to go through and clean things up as much as I can but it is a daunting process.

I will look more into your suggestion and see if I can make it work.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

This has been and is an ongoing problem on here and one of the reasons we brought Paul ^ on board to help clean up the clutter. Thus we ask members to search before starting a possibly already previously started thread on the same or similar subject. But because some people don't, even the search efficiency makes it so people don't even want to bother trying. Like Paul basically stated, it is tiring/seemingly endless/thankless/difficult work.

On a positive note, he did start many other "master" threads to keep a lot of topics easier to find. Then he moved some posts that had pertinent information over from older threads. So thanks Paul :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Hi Beta,

For what it's worth, with regard to CB's I've been using the Cobra 75 WXST with a combination CB/AM/FM antenna modulator (kit by Rugged Ridge) under a 48" Firestik and heavy duty spring mount. I had heard some negative reviews about the CB/AM/FM combo but couldn't resist having my antenna mounted in the stock position on the right fender of my 2017 JKU. So far, I've been very pleased and had no trouble communicating loud and clear while wheeling. I hope this helps!

I'd be willing to help create some FAQ threads when I have time here or there.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Arrow

My current trail set-up in my TJ:

Uniden Pro505XL that I got from Home Depot for < $30. I have had great luck with this brand of radios. Mounted it on a bracket I attached to the windshield frame in place of the footman loop, above the mirror. And wired it directly to the battery for the least amount of interference.

Cobra K40 magnetic mount. Positioned in the middle of my hood to take advantage of the best ground plane on a Wrangler. Routed the coaxial cable to have no loops, which can choke the signal.

K40 whip antenna, so no fiberglass to break, and no spring needed, plus it tunes better. Running 1.1-1.2 on my electronic SWR meter.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Well I got a gently used Uniden Bearcat 880 for $50. It's not so much the CB radios themselves that I had questions about in the beginning, but it had more so to do with antennas, since they have so much more of an impact on the CB performance than anything else. Everything I read says the taller the better, I know about the ideal length, 1/4 wavelength, 102" etc. But I still have a hard time finding out what the bare minimum length would be for acceptable use for someone like me. I only plan on ever using a CB when on the trail to speak with the group, and I plan on mounting it on the center roof of my ZJ. With it being mounted so high, clearance is a concern for me from not just low hanging branches but garages, etc. I'd like it to be easily and quickly removed, so a magnetic mount seems best, but since I'm mounting it so high up, I don't think I'll need a 3 or 4 foot whip for the short distance I plan on using it. All the research I've done have shown me that 2 foot antennas are not worth it because of their short range, but everyone planning on using those always ask about mounting them on the hood or behind the cab of a truck, never the center roof. Is performance going to really be that awful if I mount it to the roof and only use it for short distances every few weeks or months? Also, I can't find much information on whether or not the coax cable is removable from the mount or if it's permanently attached to the magnetic base. I'd like to be able to grab the mount off the roof and just leave the coax in place if possible.

These are the little details that would make an FAQ wonderful. Min acceptable equipment for ENH runs with general placement locations (roof, hood, bumper, truck bed, etc). Obviously it will vary per vehicle, but it'd be nice to know that say, a K30 3 foot whip is what is acceptable for most people just looking for off-road communication, and information on why shorter antennas don't make sense except in such and such cases.

I did find a lot of information after the fact on the ENH website where the store is located, but I didn't see it here on the forums, so having that easily found on the forum would be huge for newcomers without having to make a lengthy new post.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Well I got a gently used Uniden Bearcat 880 for $50. It's not so much the CB radios themselves that I had questions about in the beginning, but it had more so to do with antennas, since they have so much more of an impact on the CB performance than anything else. Everything I read says the taller the better, I know about the ideal length, 1/4 wavelength, 102" etc. But I still have a hard time finding out what the bare minimum length would be for acceptable use for someone like me. I only plan on ever using a CB when on the trail to speak with the group, and I plan on mounting it on the center roof of my ZJ. With it being mounted so high, clearance is a concern for me from not just low hanging branches but garages, etc. I'd like it to be easily and quickly removed, so a magnetic mount seems best, but since I'm mounting it so high up, I don't think I'll need a 3 or 4 foot whip for the short distance I plan on using it. All the research I've done have shown me that 2 foot antennas are not worth it because of their short range, but everyone planning on using those always ask about mounting them on the hood or behind the cab of a truck, never the center roof. Is performance going to really be that awful if I mount it to the roof and only use it for short distances every few weeks or months? Also, I can't find much information on whether or not the coax cable is removable from the mount or if it's permanently attached to the magnetic base. I'd like to be able to grab the mount off the roof and just leave the coax in place if possible.

These are the little details that would make an FAQ wonderful. Min acceptable equipment for ENH runs with general placement locations (roof, hood, bumper, truck bed, etc). Obviously it will vary per vehicle, but it'd be nice to know that say, a K30 3 foot whip is what is acceptable for most people just looking for off-road communication, and information on why shorter antennas don't make sense except in such and such cases.

I did find a lot of information after the fact on the ENH website where the store is located, but I didn't see it here on the forums, so having that easily found on the forum would be huge for newcomers without having to make a lengthy new post.
    Sorry I cannot help you or others with making a sticky anymore. However I can let you know that my K40 antenna detaches from the magnetic base underneath of the loaded part, and I then just leave the mag base where it is, as the coax cable is indeed permanently attached to it. I have a plastic cap that covers the hole of the quick disconnect area, so it can keep that spot clean when the antenna is not installed. Hope this helps with that question anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    This has been and is an ongoing problem on here and one of the reasons we brought Paul ^ on board to help clean up the clutter.
    "we brought Paul on board"? I thought Paul bought the board? He bought it just to clean up clutter? Statement make absolute no sense...

Anyway, I'll agree that good CB info is hard to find, not just here, so I'll toss in my $.02
    Find a good mag mount base if that's what you want. I had a RadioShack one that would fly off at highway speed.
    A lot of people have good luck with mounting their antenna on the bumper, even though it doesn't fit the best ground plane logic. You're looking at realistically less than 1/2 mile of needed range. Quality parts with proper tuning mean more than perfect placement in my opinion.

Good luck
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Hijack warning...
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    "we brought Paul on board"? I thought Paul bought the board? He bought it just to clean up clutter? Statement make absolute no sense...
    Sorry you feel that way. Explanation: Paul was a mod well before he bought the forum off from the former owner Ryan. I was an admin plus mod back then and that was the reason pitched towards Ryan to get Paul on board. Makes perfect sense, if you know the history, and now you do ;)

Wishing you a Happy New Year. I hope it will be a good one :)