Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeep Gladiator Reveal

I was not impressed at all with the reveal. I wanted to be, but even in a room full of Jeep fans, the best they could muster was a three second half-a-clap.

I'd love to see the J-10 back, or some Power Wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.arsenault View Post
    Is it weird that I'm not as in love with it as I thought? The BRUTE is what got me into jeeps, and still love that one, but I don't know why the gladiator doesn't give me the same fuzzy feeling as does the brute :/ Maybe seeing the Brute all kitted out, vs the stock rubicon model. Idk
    Completely agree with you. As Rubicon alluded to in his comment about the turning radius, it just looks soooo long. The gray, lifted one from the reveal looks pretty awesome, the base model, not so much.

I love the look and the idea of a convertible pickup, but I can't get over that rear overhang if you're actually gonna wheel it.

The departure angle is going to be real bad without huge tires.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

I was as excited as anyone, probably more, about a Jeep pickup, but my my biggest fear was confirmed: Only motor choice is the 3.6L Pentastar.

Works great for a daily driver and light duty offroad rig, no question.

But towing?

I can't believe for a moment that the same motor that was "acceptable" for towing 3,300 lb is now billed as having a 7,650 lb towing capacity. This is absurd. I've towed the same 3,300 lb load (travel trailer) with the 3.6L Pentastar as well as its 3.8L V6 predecessor. For that load the 3.8L was poor. The 3.6L was acceptable and no more, and even that was with the benefit of the 4.10:1 Rubicon ratio.

Please tell me how the very same motor claims to handle more than twice the load. I understand the wheelbase is longer and therefore more sure footed, but I'm talking about pulling power.

Despite the stunted bed length and long wheelbase, the new Gladiator could be good for someone who wants an offroad capable Jeep in a pickup format. As long as you don't need to tow a 3,000+ lb boat or trailer at other times.

Wish list: Wheelbase of a 4-door JKU in a single cab or extended cab format, with longer bed. Option the 5.7L hemi? Seals the deal but I understand that might be hard to squeeze into the Jeep.

I'm not ruling it out. Just saying I won't be first in line at the dealer.

Glad to see the new Gladiator still offers manual shift.
    Last edited by mostlystock; 03-04-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Jeepless :(

Quote Originally Posted by mostlystock View Post
    I was as excited as anyone, probably more, about a Jeep pickup, but my my biggest fear was confirmed: Only motor choice is the 3.6L Pentastar.
    The Eco diesel will still be offered in 2020 wont it? (I know... I'd rather see the 5.0 Cummins in there. But, at least the Eco diesel has more torque.)
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    I know... I'd rather see the 5.0 Cummins in there. But, at least the Eco diesel has more torque.
    Looking at the specs for the EcoDiesel, I'm impressed. Hp and torque are comparable to my 12V at half the weight. Granted the old 12V likely has much more potential with tuning it's still only rated at 420 ft lb with the automatic, the same as the EcoDiesel.

The choice of the engine for Jeep and light Ram vehicles probably has to do with a couple of things; VM Motori is part of FCA and has a good track record with Jeep (the 2.8 CRD), and it's a lighter engine (507 vs. 900 lbs for the Cummins 5.0)
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

As yet unnamed: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, automatic, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

I was under the impression that the engine was not the factor for towing capacity of the 4-door jeep. I thought it was due to Jeep's wheelbase. This truck is not trying to compete with the big boys, it's competing with the Tacomas, Rangers, Colorados, smaller Rams, etc... Most of the trucks in the smaller truck class run 4 or 6 cylinder engines, for example the Dodge Ram runs the 3.6 Pentastar.

Quote Originally Posted by Yipjeep View Post
    I was under the impression that the engine was not the factor for towing capacity of the 4-door jeep. I thought it was due to Jeep's wheelbase. This truck is not trying to compete with the big boys, it's competing with the Tacomas, Rangers, Colorados, smaller Rams, etc... Most of the trucks in the smaller truck class run 4 or 6 cylinder engines, for example the Dodge Ram runs the 3.6 Pentastar.
    That makes sense, Mike. Thinking about it some more; towing capacity is likely based on a bunch of factors: wheelbase, weight, and brakes as well as raw power. I towed well beyond the rated towing capacity with my old XJ back in the '90s. The tow rating was 5,500 but the 4.0 had plenty of grunt to pull over 8,000, however it was scary and really unsafe considering the short wheelbase and 3,400 vehicle weight.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

As yet unnamed: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, automatic, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    That makes sense, Mike. Thinking about it some more; towing capacity is likely based on a bunch of factors: wheelbase, weight, and brakes as well as raw power. I towed well beyond the rated towing capacity with my old XJ back in the '90s. The tow rating was 5,500 but the 4.0 had plenty of grunt to pull over 8,000, however it was scary and really unsafe considering the short wheelbase and 3,400 vehicle weight.
    I'd bet there is a fair amount of marketing and liability consideration that goes into tow ratings that engineers have no input on, too.

The Pentastar isn't exactly known for low-end torque, but the Gladiator tow rating is right in line with the Chevy Colorado which also has a 3.6L V6 and the Ford Ranger with its tiny little 2.3L turbo. Probably run out of payload well before hitting the tow limit anyway... I certainly wouldn't want to put 7k behind anything smaller than a F150 even if it had enough power.
    2015 JKURHR 6MT - Rancho 4" Crawler short-arm w/RS9000XLs, Yokohama G003 35s, 4.56s, Quadratec AL skidplates, Smittybilt X2O 10k