Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Cleaning the underside of your rig

Default Cleaning the underside of your rig

I need some tips and tricks. My crosstrek has mud/dirt/junk all on the underside of it, from shenanigans over the past couple of weeks. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get all the dirt off at the self car wash stations. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

(Need to take it in for an oil change soon, and don't want the folks at the dealership to see the 'carnage' since i'm leasing) :)

I've heard people suggest parking over a sprinkler for a while. I've tried it myself to only some success. For me the gouges and dents on the skid plates pretty much give away the game so I don't have much chance of hiding the fact from mechanics... But then mine isn't a lease either.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Iím in the same boat as Tundra. I usually hit the underbelly with the high pressure wash hose at the car wash but Iíve got plenty of ground clearance. You may have to jack up that Subie to get under it. Youíre living on the edge wheeling any leased vehicle in the first place. 😂

Oh I'm totally living on the edge, i took off a small metal cover that had been scraped and had a little surface rust. Wire brushed it, cleaned it, and hit it with some gloss black paint to match. Good as new... I guess?

I think I never realized how much I'd want to offroad, so 19 months and 2 days left until I have the chance to get something else haha. Tacoma? Colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by matt.arsenault View Post
    Oh I'm totally living on the edge, i took off a small metal cover that had been scraped and had a little surface rust. Wire brushed it, cleaned it, and hit it with some gloss black paint to match. Good as new... I guess?

I think I never realized how much I'd want to offroad, so 19 months and 2 days left until I have the chance to get something else haha. Tacoma? Colorado?
    If you are really set against a Jeep - there is always the Ford Bronco coming soon.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

What is this "washing" thing you speak of?
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie

1989 Ford Bronco II (yet to be named) -> Stock except for blown head gasket mod

my gets washed about every time i have to do a deep water crossing
    Scott / Team Jeep crawl

1997 Jeep TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,BFG KM 2 33s ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,stinkys off road full roll cage , ARB snorkel along/ with a few outer moderate add ons ,with a bunch of gear / tools for some moderate class six adventures ...with a Bantam Trailer, for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Leave no trace / carry out more then you carry in

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteWinter View Post
    Youíre living on the edge wheeling any leased vehicle in the first place. 😂
    We're on lease vehicle #3, the last two were Subarus, they seem more concerned with milage than anything else when trading in. Turning the vehicle in at the end of the lease is more focused on little stuff, though. The final statement will include everything they can charge for, but a call to the lease company may find willingness to negotiate. Hint: don't park a Subaru under or anywhere near an oak tree...
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

Quote Originally Posted by matt.arsenault View Post
    ... have the chance to get something else haha. Tacoma? Colorado?
    Buck the trend, don't be a lemming... get a Frontier...

Ok, there are real benefits to drinking the coolaid and joining the masses... namely wide aftermarket support.

Nissan's strength is price & sturdy simplicity.

AS TO initial question, bring a set (or 2) of ramps to a diy pressure washer. Use soap setting. Many have 'hot' water with soap setting. Then finish with a quick rinse.
    I have a pressure washer at home but during the winter I use this method.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs

So I took it to the car wash today. Drove it up onto some 6x6s, so I was able to really get under the car with the pressure washer. did the front then the back. Was careful to not get too far under it with my body, but using the brush provided with the soap seemed to do a good job! Also dropped the plastic cover under my engine off, and gave that a good cleaning. Found out I've managed to crack a couple plastic brackets, 20 dollar fix.

Also in regards to the lease return (tad off topic), I have 10k miles in 14 months so far, so I'll be well under the 36k i'm allowed. My rear bumper is currently screwed in on one side until I can replace a bracket, and my front bumper is glued on, on my driver side (my dad's doing, not mine, haha). Will probably just get an alignment(some pot holes at school knocked it pretty good), and a detail if I do decide to get rid of her in a while :)