Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: 1992 Range Rover Classic

Default 1992 Range Rover Classic

So I found another Range Rover Classic that I probably shouldn't own. This one was in Virginia, She is finished in Eastnor Green, which is in my top ten Land Rover greens, and she needs quite a bit of work. Virginia is about 11 hours once you factor in food stops, fuel stops, co driver pickup/drop off, restaurants, snack stops, traffic, food stops, and such. I reached out to my longtime friend Nate to see if he was up for a random journey, and he was in. I had the day off so we headed out at about Midnight early early Tuesday morning. We did fantastic on the way down, making it to nearly Baltimore before traffic thickened up. We encountered rain, sometimes heavy, but not too much on the way down. We arrived at the pickup location a little early, the seller was good with that, so we gave her a good check, agreed on a price, and loaded her up.

She looks okay, she has some body issue, but virtually no rust, the interior is in pretty good shape, and she has not run in about 9 years. Frame and undercarriage components are virtually rust free. She has some tailgate issues, rusty upper tailgate, and damaged lower tailgate, sheís missing a window, but the Portofino Red one has all these parts in pretty good shape. We tried briefly to start her, but no luck. I was told she was parked, and he got a new more efficient car. Hard to imagine something more fuel efficient than a Rover V8.

Loading it up took over an hour, thanks to XJ_Dave for dropping off a fantastic come along, that really helped the loading. We strapped her in, and headed home. Now because we were leaving Virginia at 11:30, this meant we were doomed from a traffic standpoint. The ride home was rough, and it poured. At one point in the pouring rain someone even attempted merge between the pickup truck and trailer. Nate said it looked liked they even hit the trailer but we didnít feel anything. We tried to wave at her or talk to her, as she was next to us in traffic a few seconds later, but she just looked forward. It was pouring, and it was that stretch of road the essentially extends from where NJ ends and CT begins. I have nothing against NY, but the stretch of 95 around NYC is my least favorite stretch of road. The George Washington Bridge is rough, itís a bottleneck of everyone going north or south, and itís best to be hit in the middle of the night. We hit it at about 5 PM, during extremely heavy rain.

We stopped for dinner at a great diner in New Rochelle, NY, I had lasagna, and Nate had a buffalo chicken wrap, I also had enough about 7 Diet Cokes, good DCís there for sure. We headed out, thankfully traffic had slightly improved. We made our final fuel stop in CT and headed home. We arrived at right about midnight. Nate made a good point, if we didnít stop for that Rover, and kept going south we would have been in Florida. My thanks to my friend/co pilot Nate who is not on the forum, XJ_Dave for the come along, and CLMB for this trailer, itís a fantastic trailer.

First bit of traffic, just before dawn.

I Think the fuel costs about as much as the Rover. We averaged 18 on the way down, 12 on the way back. It probably would have been higher but we sat in traffic for hours.

Getting her loaded

She's ready, Nate's ready

She looks happy. Also the guy found a bumper in his shed that he also threw in, it's in the bed, you can kind of see it there.

I'm not a huge fan off all beef hot dogs, but on a rode trip with Nathan, what choice did I have

Doing good, straps were still tight

Rain as we went through the toll on NJ/NY border heading north.

NY Traffic, was this way for hours

Lasagna at the New Rochelle Diner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55957459044__5690C898-B46E-498F-8994-6220796A2BB2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	31965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	31966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	31967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	31968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	31969  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	31970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	31971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	31972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderedImageTraffic.jpg 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	31973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuelstop.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	31974  

Last edited by joemcd; 09-30-2018 at 07:23 PM.
    1992 RRC Alpine White - Gone
    1988 Defender 90 Black - Gone
    2006 LR3 Tonga Green - Gone
    1988 RRC Portofino Red
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green

Nate had a better picture of the bed with bumper in it. I suppose i could have just gone outside and taken one but here is this one instead.

Name:	PUMP.jpg 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	31975  
    1988 RRC Portofino Red
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green

Awesome Joe. Excited to get you back on the trails.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Awesome post! Looks like you had fun
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie

1989 Ford Bronco II (yet to be named) -> Stock except for blown head gasket mod

Are you creating one from two or just building two?

Quote Originally Posted by onedomino View Post
    More like half/half to 1. HAHA
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Awesome post! Looks like you had fun
    Thanks! It was a fun but long day.
    Quote Originally Posted by onedomino View Post
    Hopefully getting one good truck out of two rough trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    More like half/half to 1. HAHA
    Half and half to maybe 3/4?

So today I hooked the battery up, moved some things around in the engine bay to make the battery fit, as the terminals were reversed, so the +- connections had to be swapped, but couldn't reach. took out some things, re routed the wires, and every thing works. Well she doesn't run, but all the windows work, the sunroof works, the power seats work. She cranks and cranks, but doesn't start. So the golf cart dragged her off the trailer, she does not roll well at all!

I took out the rest of the broken window, and started to work on removing the rear upper tailgate, as that is rusted, but the one on the red truck is in good shape. I nearly immediately snapped my T27 socket, so I went to Lowe's. Although they claim to have a hassle free life time guarantee, i would say the return process was a hassle, and somehow cost me 23Ę for a replacement.

I came home, began to remove the upper tailgates, and it started to rain, so i put a tarp over the missing window, and then ate a bunch of hot dogs.

My sister in law said "What are you opening up a junk yard"

Name:	2girls.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	31985  
    1988 RRC Portofino Red
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green

Quote Originally Posted by joemcd View Post
    It was pouring, and it was that stretch of road the essentially extends from where NJ ends and CT begins. I have nothing against NY, but the stretch of 95 around NYC is my least favorite stretch of road. The George Washington Bridge is rough, itís a bottleneck of everyone going north or south, and itís best to be hit in the middle of the night. We hit it at about 5 PM, during extremely heavy rain.
    This may not help you but if you live in the part of NH where you take 91 north into VT and then to 9 or 101, you might want to try a new route. We've been experimenting with takin the Mass Pike all the way west, almost to Albany and then 87 South to get down to Maryland/Philly. This adds about half an hour to the trip but you gain in back in sanity.

The Tappen Zee Bridge is another alternative but you still get some bad traffic when you are near the GW. You'll be on the Pallisade's Parkway just north of the bridge, so no trailers, so that won't work for this type of trip.

Nice looking rig also!
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Good luck to you my friend!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

I have taken ways around the George Washington Bridge before, but I have also had some issues with trailering in CT, I think it was Shawn and I on the way to Rausch. We were towing the LR3, so the first sign said "No Commercial Vehicles" so we talked about that, and we figured we'd be okay, then we get to a sign that says maximum combination 7500lbs, and we start doing the math and were probably closer to double that, then the next sign says Max height 8', so we turned around. This turn around added hours to our journey to rausch, so I go a different way there now. This trip to be safe I stuck with 95. It's the most direct, and we did great on the way down. If I could do the trip over, I would have left at 9 or 10 pm instead of midnight, then we wouldn't have hit NYC right 4:45.

The past couple days I have been working on that rear upper tailgate, it's very much rusted and the latch is rusted close. I really don't want to climb in there and push it open from the inside as there is glass all over the place in there, but I may have to do that. I haven't been able to devote too much time to it but today I got the bolts out of the hinges, and am hoping to pry the window frame out from the top. The window from from the donor Rover is all loosened up and ready to come out.

Mostly I just ate crackers today.

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	31990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1450 (1).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	31991  
    Last edited by joemcd; 09-30-2018 at 12:32 AM.
    1988 RRC Portofino Red
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green

Got the good glass all out of the Red Rover. I'm going to have to smash the rear hatch of the green rover, and take the frame out piece by piece, it's just rusted and won't budge, even with the hinges unbolted, nothing is free. I could have spent some more time on it today, but I ate a bunch of tacos instead.

Good glass on the porch, need to clean up the frame a little bit, but it's not bad at all.

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	31992  
    1988 RRC Portofino Red
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green

Mmmmm tacos....
    Looks like a fun project, nothing better than getting to break glass on purpose

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer