Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Enfield NH Offroad Adventure

Default Enfield NH Offroad Adventure

A few weeks ago a newbie member, Southie, contacted me about doing some offroading in Enfield, so we setup a small trip. UVWanderer joined us as well. We wound up driving three trails with a late-morning start and early-afternoon finish with a nice lunch in the middle. Despite the recent rain in Enfield the trails were in good shape, we didn't sink into anything, although the puddles and streams were quite full.

At the start of the first trail:

I took lead in my GX470 because I knew at least the first trail and had the least-capable vehicle.

We settled on having the HMMWV (uvwanderer) in the back with the Jeep (Southie) in the middle. If the exta-wide humvee had to turn back, he could, and if Southie got himself into trouble we could pull him forward or backwards. Luckily we didn't need to!

We did two water crossings on this trail. The first was very easy, but was a good learning situation to go through planning a line and various water-crossing considerations. We skipped the very rotted wooden bridge.

We spent a lot more time talking through the second, more challenging, water crossing. The water level here was ~6in above normal, and so it warranted extra thought to execute cleanly.

GX Approach:

HMMWV crossing:

Jeep exit (best picture of the trip):

Southie and uvwanderer were not experienced spotters, but did a great job here. They learned quickly and adapted nicely when we ran into a snag. The rest of the trail was a nice exercise in carefully steering through mild rocky terrain and went quite smoothly.

After lunch we headed out to explore two additional trails that I had not driven on before.

The first trail we explored went through some open fields, which was a nice change of pace.

It connects to large network on trails that I would have loved to explore, but proved to be too tight for the HMMWV. Our formation choices paid off with a smooth turn-around of the group and we took a different branch that connected back to our first trail.

The third trail was unremarkable. Short and flat, but with several hardwood trees fallen over it. We put my chainsaw to work and cleared everything out.

We also picked up a few bottles, some misc. trash, and what appeared to be a door panel, from the trail. These trails were better-kept that most that I've seen, and we helped to keep it that way!

Whole trip album is here: https://imgur.com/a/jcmrSho

I landed on my transmission pan somewhere on the second trail. Oops.

Pan and filter were both smashed, but did not leak and kept running smoothly all afternoon. I have since replaced everything and have ordered some aluminum skids from Asfir 4x4.

I hope to have more reports to post as I continue to explore the trails in and near Enfield!

Looks like you guys had a good time. If you ever make that or a similar trek, I'd be interested in hooking up with you all.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Jordan went with me the next day, so keep me in mind next time, as I have a list of C6's that need some trail clean-up, as in downed trees, in the Lyme and Hanover area ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Awesome. I'll ping you guys the next time I go exploring!

MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jch13 View Post
    Awesome. I'll ping you guys the next time I go exploring!
    I will try and do the same, though last minute trips seem to be the only way I get out there lately, and make it tough to drum up people to come with that way :\
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I will try and do the same, though last minute trips seem to be the only way I get out there lately, and make it tough to drum up people to come with that way :\
    Me too. The bigger the local list, the more likely we'll be to get at least a second vehicle though, so it's always worth a shot!

Looks like a great time! New here to the forum but would love to explore with you guys sometime

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by newenglands1stzr2 View Post
    Looks like a great time! New here to the forum but would love to explore with you guys sometime

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Sure thing! Shoot me a PM.

Looks like a good time! Sucks my new to me Jeep had put me back to ground zero, though I did get tires on yesterday.
    Nice to see a JL out there too, sweet! Hut, I have to say, for your "best pic of the day", nothing beats a HMMWV diving into a water crossing, that was a cool shot ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Looks like a good time! Sucks my new to me Jeep had put me back to ground zero, though I did get tires on yesterday.
    Nice to see a JL out there too, sweet! Hut, I have to say, for your "best pic of the day", nothing beats a HMMWV diving into a water crossing, that was a cool shot ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Bob it is a Jeep and still has solid axles, plus all those electronic gizmos to make it go = no excuses! :p

That 7' wide monster was indeed very cool to wheel with :)

Looks like an awesome trip. Hope to see you guys out on the trail sometime.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid, modified TG Tacoma Sliders
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)