Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Storage suggestions for Jeep Wrangler (or any 4x4 for that matter)

Default Storage suggestions for Jeep Wrangler (or any 4x4 for that matter)

Years back, I had a milk crate in the back of my 4Runner where I kept a recovery strap, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, can of WD-40 and various other items. Looking at the mandatory equipment list for group runs, with the eye of a (slightly) more mature adult with some gray hairs, I'm thinking that an open milk crate with assorted potential projectiles is a not-so-responsible thing to do.
    Any (inexpensive) suggestions for keeping that stuff together safely in one place?
    I thought something similar to this could be a workable solution: https://www.quadratec.com/p/rightlin...4x4-duffle-bag
    For the fire extinguisher, probably going with a holder that attaches to the roll bar.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mike

You definitely want your fire extinguisher in an easily accessible place, not buried in a bag somewhere.

I like to carry several different bags, because if I put all my tools and recovery gear in one bag it'd probably weigh 200 pounds. And while I certainly don't mind paying more for quality gear, it seems like a lot of 4x4 and overlanding stuff is priced pretty ridiculously. Harbor Freight has several sizes of decent tool bags. Amazon has tons of cheap options, too, like this Craftsman bag pair.

Packing stuff so it won't roll all over the place is definitely an art, but it really depends on what all you carry.
    2015 JKURHR 6MT - Rancho 4" Crawler short-arm w/RS9000XLs, Yokohama G003 35s, Quadratec AL skidplates, Smittybilt X2O 10k

I have a 20qt tote or box with lid to contain some of my gear. got it at HD. I toss my tool bag, recovery bag, tarp, compressor, and i forget what (changes every few trips) think I paid $20 for it. The tool bag is an old Craftsman soft-side Cordura nylon bag (similar to a 15" bag you see at HD) and the recovery bag I won @ a raffle (has a strap, tree saver, bow shackles, winch block).
    I also have a removable, swing-out toolbin that is pretty handy, but not cheap.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs

Thanks for the great suggestions. Going to take Flash!'s recommendation for those Craftsman bags. Seems like a good deal and, with Amazon prime, they'll arrive here on Thursday w/free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 2706588 View Post
    Thanks for the great suggestions. Going to take Flash!'s recommendation for those Craftsman bags. Seems like a good deal and, with Amazon prime, they'll arrive here on Thursday w/free shipping.
    If you have a Harbor Freight nearby their bags are terrific. My gear is stashed in three 12" and one 15" Voyager bag. Believe it or not; they seem to handle the abuse better than the Craftsman bags I had.

One bag is winch gear, one bag is compressor and tire gear, another is recovery tools (shovel, hatchet, etc.), and the last is repair tools and assorted parts (hose and muffler clamps, u-joints, belts, etc.)

Stuff that's not in the bags; fire extinguisher on each side between the seat and door, tow strap stuffed in the roll bar on the driver's side, recovery strap in the same spot on passenger side, first aid kit under driver's seat, and Hi-Lift across the fenders (secured in a Loc-Rac) behind the back seat, which traps the bags underneath.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Member: The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

I ride on Assateague Island in MD and one of the required items is a piece of 3/4" plywood (for use under a jack), SO, I bring a milk crate with all the required gear plus some and have the plywood on top. The plywood is cut to fit easily inside the crate ( but not too loosely) and I use straps to hold the plywood-topped crate tight to the floor in the rear of my Jeep. I believe all the contents would remain inside the crate even if I rolled the rig (no plans to test this).

I also just installed the interior rack from Front Runner which I have not yet put to use but it looks really good and I believe it will hold 3 milk crates.
    https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...imline-ii.html
    “Don’t lick a gift horse in the mouth”

Its just a cheap lock box i got for like $150 and i made a stand for it so i could stick my hi-lift jack under and a few other things. Inside i still had my ammo cans and such but the stuff couldnt kill me in a roll or a crash now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2431.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	31681  
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Great suggestions from everyone. The Craftsman bags arrived from Amazon, they seem pretty good (although part of the zipper on one of the bags was not sewn properly, but I don't think that will be an issue) and I'll give those a try for now. Maybe down the road a bit I'll go for some of the more sturdily mounted options people have suggested.

I got this pretty cool storage bag that fits perfectly in the area underneath the floor in the back. I put my new basic recovery gear in it. It's by Poison Spyder. I ended up finding it on Amazon but here's the link to the PS website for it: https://shop.poisonspyder.com/PS-Gea.../57-17-100.htm