Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovery Points for a Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Johnders View Post
    Well I think that would be pretty cool, I honestly haven't found much cheap for bumpers granted most of what I see are plate style bumper's. The bottom line is for right now I cant do a whole lot with the truck (unless its broken) until I get some other priorities taken care of.. So maybe some day.. Do you have some brands in mind? I wouldn't mind researching for the future.
    Trail Gear would probably be the cheapest... but it's still $550-$600. I get your situation but I had to throw it out there!
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid, modified TG Tacoma Sliders
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Thank you all for the helpful information. Sounds like High Lift would not be the best option for me. Iím essentially just looking for something to carry in the event of a flat on a trail, not so much for obstacles. So seems like some blocks of wood and maybe a larger bottle jack might do the trick. It also sounds like just a bolt on type hook of some sort for the front will work, I was able to find some in a google search.. As for the frame as some mentioned, considering this is NH its in pretty good shape. I have been under the truck quite a bit looking around. I had to replace my clutch a few months back so I spent plenty of time down there. I did attempt to POR15 some of the areas that had surface rust but overall I see no evidence of holes or soon to be holes just a lot of surface stuff..

The spacer lift appears to be an aluminum spacer that is placed above the spring and a block out back. I have no idea what brand. When i bought the truck one of the blocks in the rear had broken the nub off that lines it up with the leaf pack and the whole rear axle was pushed back on the passenger side, so for a quick fix I just bought a new cast iron style block to replace it. In hindsight I wish I had done an add a leaf but at the time I knew very little about Tacoma's and what people recommended. Seems like my leaf springs are pretty much toast.. Some day id like to do an OME kit all around with maybe a Dakar leaf pack.

In most cases, that "nub" is just a bolt that goes through all the leaves of the spring to keep them lined up. If that center bolt breaks, you can replace it with the right sized grade 8 bolt and that'll keep everything in line.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Ford 8.8" rear axle, HP D30 front axle w/ chromoly shafts and truss, hydro assist steering, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

Sorry I miss spoke, The nub I was referring to was on the side that rests on the axle perch, it wasn't the bolt that goes through the pack itself into the top side of the block. The block was some real cheap POS so I am assuming they hit something hard and just snapped it off. The chunk was just hanging out in the hole of the axle perch... It looked like it had been that way for a while based on the wear on the block. I suppose its a testament as to why NOT to use blocks if your using your truck for off road. OR to use quality parts at least.. None the less i found it the night I brought it home, took pictures and told the dealer who sold it to me. Didn't get much out of that..As far as I am concerned its a safety issue as that block was not secured properly and hanging out half off the perch and the axle was out of wack and the U bolts where not completely tight. How they didn't catch that in there"inspection" is beyond me but that's a whole other story..
    Last edited by Johnders; 07-30-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Thank you all for the helpful information. Sounds like High Lift would not be the best option for me. Iím essentially just looking for something to carry in the event of a flat on a trail, not so much for obstacles.
    The obstacles come to you.

This was "easy," on two winches and one high lift. The high lift also saved Agnes from being swallow by the ocean. So it is a very important piece of safety equipment. Just treat it with respect, practice, and always know it wants to kill you.

BTW, you can see here how we're lifting the tire, not by the silders or bumpers.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Dang... That's probably more advanced then ill get any time soon haha. But I can see how that comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    The obstacles come to you.

This was "easy," on two winches and one high lift. The high lift also saved Agnes from being swallow by the ocean. So it is a very important piece of safety equipment. Just treat it with respect, practice, and always know it wants to kill you.

BTW, you can see here how we're lifting the tire, not by the silders or bumpers.
    That pic makes me want to go wheeling right now! lol
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie

1989 Ford Bronco II (yet to be named) -> Stock except for blown head gasket mod