Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The (re)building of the Team Overbuilt fab shop

Default The (re)building of the Team Overbuilt fab shop

For anyone following along in my build thread, you are already aware that fab progress on my Jeep was halted shortly after our return from Moab, UT due to Chris moving and the need to relocate the entire contents of his single bay fab shop to my house's garage, a 2 bay, ~600 square foot building once used to simply park vehicles when not in use. The roomy 2nd story will serve as extended bench space, woodworking tools, storage and a relaxation area.

This thread will be the "build thread" for the new shop!
    Right after we bought the house. The E30 enjoying some alone time inside! The interior of the building is unfinished, unheated and underlit, ideal starting conditions!
    image-20171006_225652 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

image-20171006_225710 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

It sat, largely untouched, all winter and served as a safe haven for the E30 from the harsh winter weather and temp storage from the move. Once the weather broke, I began clearing things out in prep for the migration of Chris's tools as well as the beginning of this project. The major phases of the project:

1. Floor
    - grind concrete
    - floor epoxy (100% solids epoxy with flake)
    2. wire
    3. insulate
    4. wall coating / paint
    5. ceiling coating
    6. lighting
    7. install air delivery plumbing
    8. provision benches, toolboxes, tools and storage

Bonus:
    - central vac system
    - automation!
    - heat
    - 2nd floor completion
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

Ceiling looks pretty high. Bet you could fit a lift in there. Just throwing it out there :)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The real progress started last weekend with some basic prep to clear everything out in prep for the floor coating. Everything got moved into the loft, into the basement, or somewhere else nearby for temp storage. The bench was lifted and remains suspended above the floor.

PANO_20180610_183327 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Had some company stop by for a little locker fixing and catching up early this past weekend.
    IMG_20180616_143437 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Headed off to Home Depot late Saturday night and rented a 10" diamond disk floor grinder. This opens the concrete up and removes any dirt and grime that got into the top layers. It leaves a nice porus finish for the epoxy to bite into.

image-20180616_210317 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

After some research, we decided to make a vortex dust separator which was supposed to catch 90% of the dust before it reached the shopvac. Using a 5 gallon HD bucket, some 2" PVC pipe and rubber pipe adaptors, we set off to build the dust separator. Since we had 2 vacs, we put a tee on the inlet to be able to run both 6.5 hp shop vacs at the same time. A single inlet into the bucket was connected to the floor grinder with 20' of hose. It was incredibly effective!

image-20180616_225400 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Chris testing the vac system

IMG_20180616_225151 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

The next morning we geared up and hit the floor grinding. Chris operated the floor grinder and I operated a 4.5" right angle grinder with a diamond disk. A 5" dust collection shield mounted to the grinder and suction from a 3rd shop vac kept dust to a minimum. Any valley the floor grinder missed was ground down by hand, as well as tight up against the walls and other hard to reach places.

Largely the end result of this weekend's labors. I'm operating the hand grinder in this photo.

PANO_20180617_164250 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

The collector bucket at the end of the day, after one emptying of the same volume

image-20180617_171629 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

And the shop vac filters. Note that we only used ONE NEW FILTER per vac for the whole grind. There really was no accumulation of dust in the vacs, just some on the filters and lining the edges of the tubs.
    image-20180617_171723 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

We finished off the day installing a new catalytic converter in Chris's Honda.
    image-20180617_211139 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

I still have more finish grinding to do before we're ready to lay down the epoxy. I'll be able to chip away at it at my leisure as I don't have to worry about the tool rental. The epoxy components have been ordered and will hopefully be shipping soon. I expect, with my current timeframe, to have the coating on in ~ 3-4 weeks.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

What are the dimensions of the garage? Is it "big enough?" (Of course it isn't, but you know what I mean...)

I'm still toying with the idea of building one.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Subscribed. This post just made my summer. Better than a new Netflix series. Keep the updates coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
    Ceiling looks pretty high. Bet you could fit a lift in there. Just throwing it out there :)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Thought about it, decided against it (for now). A lift, while being useful sometimes, would be in the way most of the time. Even a modest 2 post lift takes up some room in against one wall and the middle of the garage and prevents parking one vehicle diagonal or in the middle of both bays. I would probably design an addition off the right of the existing structure that is full 2 story height and a single extra wide, extra long bay to serve exclusively for a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    What are the dimensions of the garage? Is it "big enough?" (Of course it isn't, but you know what I mean...)

I'm still toying with the idea of building one.
    25' deep X 23' wide X 9.5' high. Doors are 8' tall. The back right is taken up by a staircase to the 2nd floor. It is big enough to meet the current demands of working on one vehicle while having access to all necessary fab tools. Would more space be useful? For sure. Would I go bigger? Yep. But it will work great for a long time. If I was building it myself, I'd go bigger but this was already built and is being paid for via mortgage so I consider that a win.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
    Subscribed. This post just made my summer. Better than a new Netflix series. Keep the updates coming!
    Finally bested Netflix, yes! Hope you enjoy the new series, brought to you by ENH!
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    Thought about it, decided against it (for now). A lift, while being useful sometimes, would be in the way most of the time. Even a modest 2 post lift takes up some room in against one wall and the middle of the garage and prevents parking one vehicle diagonal or in the middle of both bays.
    MaxJax portable
    http://www.maxjaxusa.com/learn
    J.J. Nissen snack truck minus the snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    Nice, thanks for the link! Certainly something to consider someday. Did some brainstorming and most of the work we do doesn't involve nor would be easier with a lift. Sure, there are some things that are nice on a lift like fluid changes. More thought on this for sure.

Been busy traveling for work and recovering from a nasty cold recently. Have made no additional progress on the floor grinding. Hope to get small progress done tonight / tomorrow night after work perhaps.

I did notice during the last rain storm that some water is coming in near the side door casing. There are no gutters on any of the roofs so all water drips right onto the driveway and splashes up onto the building, apparently enough to seep through the door casing, which clearly is un-sealed. It looks like gutters are in my future.

water door by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Epoxy floor components came in the mail late last week! This floor coating system is Arthur approved, he thoroughly inspected every bit. I think I may need to get some 100% solids patching compound to fill in some low spots that broke out during the grind process.

epoxy by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Spent a couple hours last night grinding with the 5" disk on the angle grinder. I'm about halfway done with the small work.

image-20180627_185708 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Since we're not using the large floor grinder, I connected my small dust collector to the dust collection bucket and used both vacs. This worked very well!

image-20180627_195011 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Closeup of the 5" diamond disk and the collector shield

image-20180627_202028 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

The suction from both vacs was so great that the bucket started to collapse. I suspect the reduction in pipe size had a lot to do with this as well.

image-20180627_201954 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

cda is offline Purveyor of Shenanigans Supporting Member Tier 1
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

poor bucket, having a bad day

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cda View Post
    poor bucket, having a bad day
    Just don't "kick the bucket" :p
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Typar with no sheathing? Curious, whatís your insulation plan?
    It's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
    Typar with no sheathing? Curious, whatís your insulation plan?
    I found that interesting as well. The garage is built like a pole barn and requires no sheathing to add structural rigidity to the walls. The home wrap was installed on the 2x6 joists, directly underneath 3/4" thick vertical cedar tongue and groove boards. I was planning to fill the bays with unfaced fiberglass batts and then install plastic or vinyl sheets to act as a vapor barrier. The inner walls will be 1/2" OSB, painted with an exterior semigloss epoxy paint.

Currently considering a higher R-value batt in the ceiling cavities covered with a rigid foam board to make up the ceiling. The 2nd floor will eventually get insulated / heated but that will be a couple years off at this rate and would have it's own heat source.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    Currently considering a higher R-value batt in the ceiling cavities covered with a rigid foam board to make up the ceiling. The 2nd floor will eventually get insulated / heated but that will be a couple years off at this rate and would have it's own heat source.
    Check out Rockwool. A neighbor clued me into it. It handles getting wet and mice hate it. Oh, and unlike the fiberglass bats you can handle it without gloves.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    Check out Rockwool. A neighbor clued me into it. It handles getting wet and mice hate it. Oh, and unlike the fiberglass bats you can handle it without gloves.
    Hate to burst your bubble but the mice definitely donít hate rock wool. And if you can handle rockwool all day without gloves or a mask and not complain....Iíve got a job for you!

It is however better at moisture management than fiberglass, sound dampens better and is more dense which I believe helps perform better than fiberglass in real work r value.
    It's all gone.