Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cooler opinions?

This is off the topic of cooling things down...BUT.... I wanna sticker bomb this thing.

Stickers wonít stick to the plastic since itís that oil impregnated stuff or what have you, plus the bumps.

Does anyone have a tried and true method for throwing stickers or vinyl on?

ive seen people use heat on the plastic area you want to put one, stick it on, use a credit card or something to go over it to really get it to stick and then thatís it.

i wonít take, ďdonít do itĒ for an answer lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67F1D534-8D7B-4E35-BE1C-D5CC012E15F3.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	31538  

Man, I was tempted to click "add to cart" when I saw the price on amazon, but the first review stopped me cold.
    I enjoyed this fridge for 3 winters in baja. I was able to power it easily from 3, 50 watt panels. So the fridge lasted 15 months of use.

The failure was in the evaporator. The evaporator is behind the silver lining on the inside of the fridge. The copper coils in the evaporator are wrapped in aluminum foil. With time the copper / aluminum eat each other up. I believe it's called electrolysis. The result is an r134a leak. When I pulled off the silver interior lining the evaporator pipes were all rusted. At first i thought the pipes were made of steel, because of the rust.But i cleaned them and found copper. The leak was on the right side of the fridge , above the large air vent. The pipes are all pitted. I was able to repair the fridge - a temporary fix, til the next leak . The fridge is toast. Built to fail. Can't figure how to post a photo. But if you saw it,you would pass on this fridge. For some reason amazon will not post my pictures. Photos are now up- check out the rust.

I got a good look at the compressor and every other part on this fridge. I installed a schrader access valve on the low pressure side of the compressor to pressure test, vacuum, and recharge the compressor and lines with r134a after the leak was repaired. I can assure you the word "Danfoss" does NOT appear anywhere on this fridge. Those who imply this is a genuine danfoss compressor are misleading or misinformed.

Is this BS or real? I know that dissimilar metals can do bad things, but fail like this?
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Quote Originally Posted by dun_right View Post
    Thatís what Iím thinking to try next time.

Iím going to research how the fridges work and see how much of a viable option it actually is for me. If you have any insight, itís very welcome!

I'm happy to answer any questions that I can to be helpful. Just let me know. Here's a thread that shows how I set up my fridge:

http://forums.exploringnh.com/showth...ND-Cargo-Rack!

And here's a photo of the Cub Scouts having fun with the "world's first off-road ice cream truck:

Grrr... the second remote thermometer arrived and damn, its on the same frequency as the first. I may need to ones with real probes and drill through the cool covers. (Note, I'm using crap coolers for the test...)
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Tick tick tick...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    Tick tick tick...

Did you end up getting the ones you have to seal up with heat or the ones with the plastic screw tops?

anxiois to see the results!

Quote Originally Posted by dun_right View Post
    Did you end up getting the ones you have to seal up with heat or the ones with the plastic screw tops?

anxiois to see the results!
    Our first set had to be sealed, the second set had the screw tops. Aside from being easier, the screwtop ones seem to have much thicker mylar. I'm sure they will be sturdier.

As for results, well, my setup isn't ideal and I'm goin to have to repeat the experiment. (Which means at least a 2 day delay for chilling the shock and ice to 0, maybe more, since we might go camping this weekend.) The coolers I'm using for the test really suck, heat is leaking in like crazy, the lids are cool to the touch. The thermometers are about halfway down inside the coolers, I was going for worse case scenario, where the items were not in contact with the shock or ice. That's why I built the styrofoam holders.

The lowest one of the coolers got was 57 degrees, the other one's low was 59. It took less than an hour to reach that temperature. Note, I do not know which one has shock and which one has ice. (I don't know which thermometer is #1 and #2). Right now the 57 degree one reach 59, the 59 degree one is at 64.

This test is going to be a pretty short test.

We're also thinking of getting another igloo. That's not needed for the test but it does eliminate and "lid closing" issues. But for my next test I'll seal up the thermometers in double or triple zip locs and put them at the bottom, so under the shock, and submerged in the ice/water.

I've not opened either cooler so I can't comment on the state of either.
    --

Our first set had to be sealed, the second set had the screw tops. Aside from being easier, the screwtop ones seem to have much thicker mylar. I'm sure they will be sturdier.

As for results, well, my setup isn't ideal and I'm goin to have to repeat the experiment. (Which means at least a 2 day delay for chilling the shock and ice to 0, maybe more, since we might go camping this weekend.) The coolers I'm using for the test really suck, heat is leaking in like crazy, the lids are cool to the touch. The thermometers are about halfway down inside the coolers, I was going for worse case scenario, where the items were not in contact with the shock or ice. That's why I built the styrofoam holders.

The lowest one of the coolers got was 57 degrees, the other one's low was 59. It took less than an hour to reach that temperature. Note, I do not know which one has shock and which one has ice. (I don't know which thermometer is #1 and #2). Right now the 57 degree one reach 59, the 59 degree one is at 64.

This test is going to be a pretty short test.

We're also thinking of getting another igloo. That's not needed for the test but it does eliminate and "lid closing" issues. But for my next test I'll seal up the thermometers in double or triple zip locs and put them at the bottom, so under the shock, and submerged in the ice/water.

Good stuff!

Schrodinger's cooler?
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Member: The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

I'm not going to publish my results yet, I'm pretty concerned that I have a methodology problem. Don't worry, I'm not giving up on the project, but the results have to be meaningful.

(Right now I have both sensor, hand waterproofed, in the same ice bath for 2 hours reading 5 degrees apart. This isn't good. They were fine at 73 degrees, but when cold, they got weird.

I've also been in contact with the Cooler Shock people, they're interested in my test. One of the issues I face is that the the test conditions are, well, up in the air. Cooler Shock says that pound for pound it out performs ice, but, the product itself says that 4lbs of Shock is equivalent to 6lbs of ice, which is what I tested.

So stay tuned, but don't expect anything soon. (Remember, it takes 48 to initialize a test and that's after I buy ice...)

Oh, I also have a question into the manufacturer of the remote sensors asking if they can be submerged. I suspect not but they do say they are waterproof, so that's something. I might need to find a way to make them waterproof and not have too much air the ziploc, which is, of course, an insulator.
    --

I would not sweat having air in the bag. The air will chill down to cooler ambient. Just means the temp changes will lag actual change by a slight bit

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    I would not sweat having air in the bag. The air will chill down to cooler ambient. Just means the temp changes will lag actual change by a slight bit
    That was my thought. But... the bags are symmetrical. At the end I put both sensor in the ice water. 5 or 6 degree difference after a few hours! I turned on of them upside down and it caught up within 30 minutes.

I need to find a better way to waterproof the sensors.
    Last edited by NotThePainter; 07-20-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    --

That was my thought. But... the bags are symmetrical. At the end I put both sensor in the ice water. 5 or 6 degree difference after a few hours! I turned on of them upside down and it caught up within 30 minutes.

I need to find a better way to waterproof the sensors.
    One of those kitchen vacuum sealers?
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project