Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: What to do when a Class VI is gated?

Default What to do when a Class VI is gated?

I know that many Class VI roads are "subject to gates and bars", but those gates aren't supposed to be locked.

What's the best approach when they are? Town manager?

Open true class6 roads do have gates now and then but its sorta rare and i only know 3. Gate shouldnt be locked but pinned so open gate drive in and close gate. Back in the day roads crossed more farm and grazing land and would have livestock. But people still needed to pass so the road was gated but unlocked to allow this passage. Now i have seen gates shut and locked for mud seasons but have only see this in the southwestern part of the state. Today it seems gates are more of a tool to cut down on traffic by playing the unknowing card.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    I know that many Class VI roads are "subject to gates and bars", but those gates aren't supposed to be locked.

What's the best approach when they are? Town manager?
    assuming you've already looked up the town map and verified its still a C6, I'd approach the road agent for the town and ask an "innocent" question... "Mr. road agent, I was wondering about the status of X road." (RA) Oh, sure, ...(bla bla bla)... why do you ask? (you)well, I was scouting X road and came across a gate at (lat/long) so I think I was on the c6... (RA)hmmm... lemme look into that...
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    assuming you've already looked up the town map and verified its still a C6, I'd approach the road agent for the town and ask an "innocent" question... "Mr. road agent, I was wondering about the status of X road." (RA) Oh, sure, ...(bla bla bla)... why do you ask? (you)well, I was scouting X road and came across a gate at (lat/long) so I think I was on the c6... (RA)hmmm... lemme look into that...
    The tax maps show it as a Class VI. I'll have to look into who our Road Agent even is... everyone else in town government is well known and listed on the website, but no RA. I know we have (or had) one, from previous select board minutes, but no one is ever named.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    The tax maps show it as a Class VI. I'll have to look into who our Road Agent even is... everyone else in town government is well known and listed on the website, but no RA. I know we have (or had) one, from previous select board minutes, but no one is ever named.
    Some towns call them the highway supervisor or something like that. I've had to do a little digging around to find the right person, especially with the smaller towns.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Member: The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411