New JKU Cargo System for 2018

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattJ
    • May 2017

I designed my tent mounting system so that the tent can open to the side OR the back of the vehicle. Today I tested the procedure for swiveling the tent, and it worked great! I'm really happy that it worked so well, since 1) it took a LOT of work to design and build this mounting system, and 2) as far as I know, this is the only tent a rack system on earth that can do this.

My goal is to test a new "fast back" overlanding configuration with three specific goals:

1) Reduce set-up and take-down time for the tent and tarps for treks where we camp in a different spot each night
    2) Use the tent floor as a "roof" over the back cargo bay, rather than using a separate tarp for that purpose
    3) Use a side tarp that is easy to set up and will be contiguous with the tent, creating one huge covered area around the back and side of the Jeep

Here are photos of the swivel switch and the "fast back" configuration. I'll take some more pictures of everything deployed in the woods this weekend.

Last edited by MattJ; 06-05-2018, 10:17 AM.
    ____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_). BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle

Comment

Working...