Only one locker, what better front or rear?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heg
    • Apr 2018

yes i understand and think you are 100% right. good to know i can go with the high pinion D30 on the front, add that to my list. i am sorry if my terminology is confusing. I agree.

Comment

• Rubicon
      MappingNH Trail Scout
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Heg
      yes i understand and think you are 100% right. good to know i can go with the high pinion D30 on the front, add that to my list. i am sorry if my terminology is confusing. I agree.
      Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.
      Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
      ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Comment

• NotThePainter
        MappingNH Trail Scout
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Heg
        HP30 is viewed by some to far superior. The YJs had high pinion also.
        --
        Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
        Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Comment

• xjtinker
          • Jul 2017

Here's something you may want to consider outside of the pull vs push discussion. When considering an auto locker for front axle application I was informed by the tech at PowerTrax that they strongly recommend a CAD or unlocking hubs. The technical jargon he gave me was "the locker might encounter a reference it doesn't understand". What that means is that it's possible that the locker could stay engaged when you don't want it severely hampering steering control. When searching web for this I did find some accounts of people who had this happen in particular when cresting a hill and immediately going into a downhill bend. My guess is that in these accounts 4wd was engaged but the warning from PowerTrax applied to both 4wd and 2wd. At the time I didn't have a CAD and ran the lockrite that way for a year without issue. I now have lockers front and rear but do now have CAD in the front.

Just passing along.
          Call sign KD2NDW

Comment

• Heavyopp
            • Jul 2017

OK, I can't put my finger on it -- What is CAD in this reference?

Comment

• bob
              Supporting Member Tier 1
              MappingNH Trail Scout
              • Sep 2010

Center axle disconnect. Not sure the operation though it separates the axle shafts, but it was intended I believe to save wear on the front axle and improve fuel mileage. And being vacuum operated, suffered failures. In a typical Jeep fashion, they decided to hop on the recent "retro" bandwagon with the rest of the auto world, and they decided they would bring it back for the JL.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
              Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
              Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
              Now also gone-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount
              Currently-2018 JK Willys, stock but for the XD820 Grenade rims.

Buy a Gazetteer

Comment

• BlueberryHill
                Supporting Member Tier 1
                MappingNH Trail Scout
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Heavyopp
                OK, I can't put my finger on it -- What is CAD in this reference?
                A Center Axle Disconnect has a two piece axle shaft on the long side of the front axle that engages and disengages with a vacuum operated clutch. It's on the passenger side in the case of XJ and YJ Dana 30. If you don't see a cast housing opposite of the differential housing you don't have it.

The CAD warning for auto lockers has to do with the function of allowing the front driveshaft and tcase chain to not spin in 2WD, reducing drive line vibration at speed. It depends on the spider gears to work, so with an auto locker the driveshaft and tcase chain will spin.
                Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.10 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, Warn 9.5ti, a bunch of skid plates

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
                Tread Lightly!
                KC1EIJ

Comment

• Heavyopp
                  • Jul 2017

Guess I had a brain fart -- I know exactly what it is

Comment

Working...