Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Did I find a class VI rd?

Default Did I find a class VI rd?

I am not sure how specific I should get here. I found a trail head that looks like a class 6 rd off of hwy 12 in Claremont right by the VT border. i have the Lat. and Lon. but i don't think i should post it here. the trail leads to power lines and into cornish. i think it is a class VI because it looks like there is a washed out sign at the entrance and there is an abundance of trash and tire tracks. So far i have only hiked in and i was considering scouting the trail on my ATV. I dont want to get in trouble however and i am hoping a trail leader can tell me if it is a legal spot.

Most roads by power lines are not class six roads. They right of ways for power line companies. Most class six roads are closed for mud season. Your best bet is to join a run in your area when the mud season is over. Atv use on class six roads is town by town.
    Scott / Team Jeep crawl

1997 Jeep TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,BFG KM 2 33s ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,stinkys off road full roll cage , ARB snorkel along/ with a few outer moderate add ons ,with a bunch of gear / tools for some moderate class six adventures ...with a Bantam Trailer, for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Leave no trace / carry out more then you carry in

That road is one the locals use to get a little face time with the local constabulary ;)
    It looks for all the world like a road, but it's not on any maps, likely for the reason Scott noted-power line access roads are private property. There are some exceptions, but generally for Class VI roads (Class IV in Vermont) crossing them.
    Great question and also restraint for not posting specific location. I only knew which one you meant because I asked myself that same question 10 years ago ;)
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

And yeah, its frustrating to have to wait through to the end of mud season. You really only have two options at this point.

Drive on open, legal, dirt roads, which you can find on a Gazetteer, but this is just driving on dirt roads, you'll probably meet a Honda Fit on bald tires not having any issues, the road will only be "fun" because it is dirt.

The other is a to join a reputable club and wait for them to have events. They often use private land. The downside to that is that many private clubs are for built up rigs. Some do have stock runs on easy trails even on private lands. (At least I've read that.) But there aren't many of these.

You basically just have to wait it out.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

If you are itching to get out and explore try Mt. Mud Run in Warren NH. Fun place.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    And yeah, its frustrating to have to wait through to the end of mud season. You really only have two options at this point.

Drive on open, legal, dirt roads, which you can find on a Gazetteer, but this is just driving on dirt roads, you'll probably meet a Honda Fit on bald tires not having any issues, the road will only be "fun" because it is dirt.

The other is a to join a reputable club and wait for them to have events. They often use private land. The downside to that is that many private clubs are for built up rigs. Some do have stock runs on easy trails even on private lands. (At least I've read that.) But there aren't many of these.

You basically just have to wait it out.

oh yeah i will not risk riding "dirty" down the class VI roads, I can wait. I am just an excited new jeep owner. Taking an inventory of the closest places where i can ride when the time comes. right now me and the family are enjoying the muddy dirt roads. I have a piece of land just over 7 acres that i am itching to cut some trails in over there, i would like to create a loop, that way i have a small place to test ride/have fun when ever i want. there is good potential for a mud hole on my land as there is a design from the army core of engineers to create a pond there.

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    If you are itching to get out and explore try Mt. Mud Run in Warren NH. Fun place.
    i plan to be up at mt mud for the first exploringNH event, though i might make it up there before that.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Definitely mentioning Class VI roads are against the rules, at least on the public forum sections.
    Some are actually posted if they are and most have rock walls on both sides, though not always the case.

I have been doing just like you, hiking them, and that is damaging enough right now. During the winter I skied, snowshoed, and fat biked some of them to help with the anxiousness, plus it helps me learn them ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)