Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: If it's a class VI road doesn't that mean it's public?

Default If it's a class VI road doesn't that mean it's public?

Why is there an element of secrecy about the location of class 6 public roads? If it is a class 6 road it is ok to ride, right? These roads should be on your town map. I usually just search Google satellite images to look for new places to ride and find class 6 roads that way. So I'm just curious, is this how the club makes money? Rather then having meetings and paying dues. Isn't the location of the roads already public and the club is providing info in an easier to access format?
    Last edited by Heg; 04-09-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    Why is there an element of secrecy about the location of class 6 public roads? If it is a class 6 road it is ok to ride, right? These roads should be on your town map. I usually just search Google satellite images to look for new places to ride and find class 6 roads that way. So I'm just curious, is this how the club makes money? Rather then having meetings and paying dues. Isn't the location of the roads already public and the club is providing info in an easier to access format?
    It's a matter of not sharing data easily for people to trash the trails, over run the trails and ultimately get them closed. Yes they are public roads that anybody has access to. They aren't as easy to find for everybody and we do our best to scout them and keep them updated so we know if they are still open and accessible. There are groups out there that have no concern for the trails, the town, the surrounding areas so the "secrecy" on our end is to limit sharing the information with the wrong people.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

I will let others speak to the existence of ENH, but it's not a club, no dues, meetings, etc.
    The secrecy around public roads is making it easy for any yahoo to google and track down condition, location, access etc. Then making it easy to know much damage they can do. Or not. But, err to the side of caution, and those willing to put out the face time with others are allowed access to MappingNH, also a free perk.
    Thatbis a very short explanation meant to drive thought from the perspective of a yahoo, not the ordinary every day family type who just wants to get out and find some old cellar holes. ;)

Whoops, Paul beat me to it.
    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    I will let others speak to the existence of ENH, but it's not a club, no dues,....those willing to put out the face time with others are allowed access to MappingNH, also a free perk.
    Access to MappingNH is free. It doesn't require a supporting membership or payment of dues. Earn the trust of other members and run leaders and you can eventually gain access to MappingNH.

Ok I understand. I thought it would be easier to track down maps of the roads. Bob if you are ever looking to go wheeling on the weekend I am close by in claremont. I have found a few roads up here so far. I am excited to be back in NH with a new to me TJ I've been in RI for the past ten years where there seems to be no good legal spots to ride. I've found some roads in unity but they don't open until July. I am looking for places close by that I can go with my wife and 9 year old daughter. I'm trying to get access to the mappingNH stuff. And find friends in the area with rigs to go wheeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    Ok I understand. I thought it would be easier to track down maps of the roads. Bob if you are ever looking to go wheeling on the weekend I am close by in claremont. I have found a few roads up here so far. I am excited to be back in NH with a new to me TJ I've been in RI for the past ten years where there seems to be no good legal spots to ride. I've found some roads in unity but they don't open until July. I am looking for places close by that I can go with my wife and 9 year old daughter. I'm trying to get access to the mappingNH stuff. And find friends in the area with rigs to go wheeling.
    Pretty much this whole area is closed until June, at least from what I have known. Plainfield, Cornish, Meriden, Enfield for sure, and I thought Unity was July, so good to know I've not yet completely lost my mind lol.
    I hope to have the time this year, actually going to ensure the time, to get out again. I hate not having a winch though, but I threw my come along in the rear, so I'm making progress lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Hello and welcome :)

Pretty much been wrote already, but it is simply just our way of not helping to make it any easier to possibly get our roads shut down because of the "yahoos". Plus our scouting reports of the roads, which we did all the work to help provide other good members with good to know information, is just that...ours, so that is more difficult to just hand over to just anyone, knowing all that useful information, could potentially get the roads that we also use closed permanently.

Something I wrote and use to give to the new mapping scouts:

Just please remember that a mapping trail scout is a privilege and you will be entrusted to not give the information to anyone.

You will also be responsible to help promote "Tread Lightly!".

ENH trusts very few members to access the maps and a few have lost their right to them because of either abuse, or the lack of assistance in achieving the goal to map out the entire state. So just a little freindly warning, if you are not helping, or fail to assist in submitting scouting reports, you might be taken out of the system to give a chance to someone else that will.
    Sorry, this is not meant to scare or worry you, but rather just a FYI. I personally hope you do well with this opportunity.

Thank you again for wanting to take on this task with others that share your commitment to preserving these roads.

I am a little further north than Bob(not by too much), so I will look forward to meeting you and your daughter, and seeing your TJ ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

This is a good example of why roads are closely guarded 'secrets'... Fall River State Forest... public road through the forest. it WAS open. Few days after the 2 incidents the town closed the road. It is believed that the 2 vehicles went into the puddle because they were trying to avoid the branches from pin-striping their paint...

There are also many roads that are 'on' peoples driveways (more accurately they built their driveway on the C6) and they don't appreciate us 'tearing up "their" property

I have seen alot of call-outs for assistance on FB this spring (most seem to be from the "Overlanding" groups) getting stuck somewhere they shouldn't have been, trying to get out before they are noticed, and really tearing things up in the process. Primarily ENH seeks to prevent this by ensuring people know what they are doing, where they should & shouldn't do it and that they have the gear to do it.

Additionally (particularly during snow season) there are roads and Class A (skidoo/ATV) that run along same areas and sometimes the road will break off one direction but Class A will continue a different direction and you will think that the ClassA is the C6 until you either get too far in and its too tight or you visit with a Game Warden on the trail...

And finally, I'm also a club member of a group in MA. In a few weeks we are doing a clean-up in Mashpee. There is no wheeling oportunity there, it's to build up good repor with the state and to shine a favorable light on wheelers. Personally, every time we go on a ride, I come out ot the woods with a bed full of trash. Largest haul was a jeep buper, 5 tires, an inner fender well, and a box of clothing...

(One of several dumpings @ Mashpee forest. Town is providing us several dumpsters)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	30915  
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

the short answer is Yes, all C6 roads are public roads and assuming no restrictions place such as mud season, weight limits, etc, you are free to ravel on them as you see fit. And that is why we also find folks on the trails who have blindly followed the GPS into the woods and are now stuck on a rock, or just lost.

The flip side is, us and other user groups tend to get protective of our favorite trails. We know that we follow Tread Lightly principles, conduct trail maintenance, and generally leave the trails and the woods as we found them. Not everyone is so considerate, usually younger wheelers who have little regard for the long term impact of their behavior to the environment and the sport. Most specifically trail/road closures by towns who have had enough.

So your best option is to join a group like ours, come on runs, meet people, get involved, and have a good time.

See you on the trails!
    Back In Only Please