Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Bluetooth FRS/GMRS Radios?

Default Bluetooth FRS/GMRS Radios?

Has anyone ever tried any of the radios with bluetooth connectivity?
    I'm thinking it would be really convenient to be able to use the vehicle's build in hands free features, but I'm not sure how well it would work. It's not really useful if it's just static broadcast over the car speakers the whole time.

I'm looking at either:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PR562BL.../dp/B073RZSTGL
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MU35.../dp/B00CHHE0KA

Any opinions on either of those?

The Midland handheld unit I have came with (not very good) earpiece and mic, and the handset has vox capabilities. I have played with vox and it ain't great. Yes, different h/w will work differently, but if the vox is not Great, then using the bluetooth in your truck will, at best, never key up and at worst, never un-key (hot mic) and prevent everyone from talking.
    If you can't find one locally to play around with & test and your only reason for laying down nearly 100 smackers is for BT (versus a similar radio about $50) I'd be familiar with the Amazon seller's return policy.
    Most radios have vox, all are limited to the same 22 channels and 'extra' channels they claim are preset privacy codes on a given channel. Biggest difference is advertised wattage (max is 5w handheld) for type certified radios but regardless of how much power you pump, you can only reach the horizon as UHF is line of sight (roughly 6mi for 2 folks @ sea level) but more power you will have a 'clearer' conversation (discounting possible obstructions & 'noise')

If you choose to push forward I wish you the best of luck. just be sure to test it before a run to see how much of a hot mic it is.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    The Midland handheld unit I have came with (not very good) earpiece and mic, and the handset has vox capabilities. I have played with vox and it ain't great. Yes, different h/w will work differently, but if the vox is not Great, then using the bluetooth in your truck will, at best, never key up and at worst, never un-key (hot mic) and prevent everyone from talking.
    If you can't find one locally to play around with & test and your only reason for laying down nearly 100 smackers is for BT (versus a similar radio about $50) I'd be familiar with the Amazon seller's return policy.
    Most radios have vox, all are limited to the same 22 channels and 'extra' channels they claim are preset privacy codes on a given channel. Biggest difference is advertised wattage (max is 5w handheld) for type certified radios but regardless of how much power you pump, you can only reach the horizon as UHF is line of sight (roughly 6mi for 2 folks @ sea level) but more power you will have a 'clearer' conversation (discounting possible obstructions & 'noise')

If you choose to push forward I wish you the best of luck. just be sure to test it before a run to see how much of a hot mic it is.
    Thanks, this was super helpful. It hadn't even occurred to me that any of the bluetooth ones would use vox. I was more envisioning pressing the call button on the steering wheel and having that work as the push-to-talk button.

This let me research into these a bit more. It appears the cobra one uses vox for the bluetooth, so that's sort of a deal breaker there. The motorola one offers PTT but it uses the button on the unit itself, which basically defeats the purpose of using the bluetooth anyway. The moto is also only 1 watt.

So now I go buy cheaper radios, because as cool a feature as this would be, it's not worth the hundreds it would cost to get it working the way I want.

wise choice... I like low-mid $$ handhelds because they ARE handheld, and have a greater chance of walking off, falling in mud/under a tire, forgot on the roof/hood/fender...

What was/is your primary reason for wanting it across BT? For the vox or the louder audio or ??
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs