Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: No door laws

Default No door laws

Hey everyone,

So a friend of mine just went to get his jeep inspected and the mechanic told him that you would get "stopped for not having doors". He seemed to think there was some new law that was passed. Is there any truth to this? Maybe my friend just misunderstood what the mechanic was telling him.

AFAIK, it is only illegal if you do not run a drivers side mirror minimum. Jeep has attached mirrors to the door for the last few iterations, so you have to either move them, or use a secondary one when it is off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

as the previous poster said as long as you have external mirrors you normally wont get hassled for no doors on a Jeep. It might help to identify the state he was told this in but I've driven doorless in MA/NH/ME/PA with no issues and haven't heard any rumors that would make me think its not still fine to do so...
    Jeff
    2012 JKU on 35s with skids
    1997 Jeep TJ lock/lock RIP...
    1970 Jeepster Bone stock

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Talking

Doors are over rated :p
    They just slow you down when entering and existing.
    Dune buggies don't even have them.
    Heck, the Duke boys just welded theirs shut ;)
    Haha!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

You always hear random stories of this and that passing or failing. I myself cant remember ever having the doors on when i got a sticker and i have never been stopped for anything to do with lack of doors or mirrors. Was about 18yrs of that. With that said i no longer have the YJ and its been 3yrs or so.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

To add on to this, my parents ran an NH inspection station for years. Doors were never an issue. You need a driver's side mirror and one of either rear view mirror or passenger side mirror to pass inspection.

I also took the doors off a '95 ford bronco and drove all over NH and MA for about 2 years and was never stopped for it. A local police officer saw it parked once and asked ME if it was legal. I said "i dunno, but jeeps do it all the time." He said, "fair enough," and that was the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
    as the previous poster said as long as you have external mirrors you normally wont get hassled for no doors on a Jeep. It might help to identify the state he was told this in but I've driven doorless in MA/NH/ME/PA with no issues and haven't heard any rumors that would make me think its not still fine to do so...
    This has come under fire in Pa. actually. There has been a LOT of chatter about it across the 'net.
    This is a link to a PD in Pa. I don't have the Facebook but it still worked for me.
    https://m.facebook.com/WBTPD/photos/...329198/?type=3
    Last edited by bob; 04-09-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer