Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Door Law in NH?

as the previous poster said as long as you have external mirrors you normally wont get hassled for no doors on a Jeep. It might help to identify the state he was told this in but I've driven doorless in MA/NH/ME/PA with no issues and haven't heard any rumors that would make me think its not still fine to do so...
    Jeff
    2012 JKU on 35s with skids
    1997 Jeep TJ lock/lock RIP...
    1970 Jeepster Bone stock

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Talking

Doors are over rated :p
    They just slow you down when entering and existing.
    Dune buggies don't even have them.
    Heck, the Duke boys just welded theirs shut ;)
    Haha!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

You always hear random stories of this and that passing or failing. I myself cant remember ever having the doors on when i got a sticker and i have never been stopped for anything to do with lack of doors or mirrors. Was about 18yrs of that. With that said i no longer have the YJ and its been 3yrs or so.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

To add on to this, my parents ran an NH inspection station for years. Doors were never an issue. You need a driver's side mirror and one of either rear view mirror or passenger side mirror to pass inspection.

I also took the doors off a '95 ford bronco and drove all over NH and MA for about 2 years and was never stopped for it. A local police officer saw it parked once and asked ME if it was legal. I said "i dunno, but jeeps do it all the time." He said, "fair enough," and that was the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
    as the previous poster said as long as you have external mirrors you normally wont get hassled for no doors on a Jeep. It might help to identify the state he was told this in but I've driven doorless in MA/NH/ME/PA with no issues and haven't heard any rumors that would make me think its not still fine to do so...
    This has come under fire in Pa. actually. There has been a LOT of chatter about it across the 'net.
    This is a link to a PD in Pa. I don't have the Facebook but it still worked for me.
    https://m.facebook.com/WBTPD/photos/...329198/?type=3
    Last edited by bob; 04-09-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

I failed an inspection in Merrimack for not having my doors on. I had to go home and put them on before they would pass me. He went on to say any light bars without covers would cause a fail. I have never been questioned outside of that inspection.
    Kevin
    2009 Rubicon, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Synergy lower control arms, Teraflex front and rear diff covers, AEM cold air intake , dynomax exhaust, bushwacker painted pocket style fender flares, warn front bumper, warn 9.5ti winch, Havoc rear bumper, ARB driving lights

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
    I failed an inspection in Merrimack for not having my doors on. I had to go home and put them on before they would pass me. He went on to say any light bars without covers would cause a fail. I have never been questioned outside of that inspection.
    Did you have external mirrors without your doors?
    I do recall something about lights above a certain height needing to be covered and only for offroad use. You can look it up in saf-c-3000 or something like that, link through the nh.gov site.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Did you have external mirrors without your doors?
    I do recall something about lights above a certain height needing to be covered and only for offroad use. You can look it up in saf-c-3000 or something like that, link through the nh.gov site.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Yes, I had mirrors on at the time. They said something like if it came on the jeep when you bought it then it needs to be on the jeep for inspection. Not sure if half doors would have made them happy or not though. From now on I will just put them on to save the headache.
    Kevin
    2009 Rubicon, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Synergy lower control arms, Teraflex front and rear diff covers, AEM cold air intake , dynomax exhaust, bushwacker painted pocket style fender flares, warn front bumper, warn 9.5ti winch, Havoc rear bumper, ARB driving lights

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

All 5 threads merged into 1.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Nice work, Paul.

I can only speak from my experience here in the Peoples' Republic. MaryAnne's inspection is in June and by then the top is off as well as the doors. She has a rear view mirror on the windshield and a driver's side mirror on a relocation bracket. It's never been an issue.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Member: The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

As a licensed state inspector maybe I can shed some light on this. The law in NH specifically requires doors as noted below (I'll link the full NH inspection requirements). With that said, there actually isn't anything requiring that doors be on the vehicle to operate it, only for inspection. But as others have said, make sure you have a side mirror (NH requires two mirrors...pick your favorite two). In fact, NH allows the windshield to be down or completely removed as long as the driver is wearing eye protection. Many people will most likely be able to find places that will inspect a 4x4 without doors though, it is up to the station and the chances they are willing to take.

NH inspection requirements: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule...saf-c3200.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	31683  

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    Nice work, Paul.

I can only speak from my experience here in the Peoples' Republic. MaryAnne's inspection is in June and by then the top is off as well as the doors. She has a rear view mirror on the windshield and a driver's side mirror on a relocation bracket. It's never been an issue.
    How does she like the Mirror Relocation? I would love to do this to my JK as I like to take the doors on and off if there's a stretch of bad weather. I have Barricade mirrors now that mount in the door hinge. I put the TMR Delrin Hinge Liners in and I'm not crazy about the idea of the nut needing to be reefed on in order to get the mirrors to not move when on the highway.

If you have pics, that would be cool too!

I got these from Quadratec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180807_095230.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	31684  
    2015 Rubicon