Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I started my build today

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Next...

https://youtu.be/f1m-Fh5kiRU

This turned out to be my problem. Had to shim the axle with 3 deg shims.
    I checked the working angle at the pinion u joint and the middle u joint. I came up with 6 degrees working angle at the pinion u joint and .5 or less at the middle u joint. The two drive shafts are pretty much dead but in line with each other. This seems like a big difference. From what I understand, the working angle of these two u joints are supposed to be the same but not zero degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc88 View Post
    I checked the working angle at the pinion u joint and the middle u joint. I came up with 6 degrees working angle at the pinion u joint and .5 or less at the middle u joint. The two drive shafts are pretty much dead but in line with each other. This seems like a big difference. From what I understand, the working angle of these two u joints are supposed to be the same but not zero degrees.
    That pinion should be around 3deg right? If so, 3 degree shims and then space the carrier bearing with washers (if needed) until the vibes stop.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-ties
    KC1GPY

That pinion should be around 3deg right? If so, 3 degree shims and then space the carrier bearing with washers (if needed) until the vibes stop.
    Curious...how much lift in the back?
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-ties
    KC1GPY

Curious...how much lift in the back?
    I forgot to take a before measurement. There's a u tube video by Low range off-road of a lift install of the OME lift on the same year Tacoma as mine. They are showing 2.5 in the rear and 3 up front. I don't think they went with 886 coils though.
    Is it possible to over torque the leaf springs and causing the pinion to point up or down? I torqued them to 75 FLBs

I forgot to take a before measurement. There's a u tube video by Low range off-road of a lift install of the OME lift on the same year Tacoma as mine. They are showing 2.5 in the rear and 3 up front. I don't think they went with 886 coils though.
    Is it possible to over torque the leaf springs and causing the pinion to point up or down? I torqued them to 75 FLBs
    Maybe if you torqued them while it was in the air. If you torqued wIth the weight of the vehicle on it, I cant see that happening. Measure middle of the hib to fender. 23 inches is a 3 inch lift on a second gen. Not sure about 3rd gen, Anyhow, 75lbs for those bolt cant be too much IMHO. I got a little over 4 inches in the back from my dakars.
    -anon

KC1GPY

Maybe if you torqued them while it was in the air. If you torqued wIth the weight of the vehicle on it, I cant see that happening. Measure middle of the hib to fender. 23 inches is a 3 inch lift on a second gen. Not sure about 3rd gen, Anyhow, 75lbs for those bolt cant be too much IMHO. I got a little over 4 inches in the back from my dakars.
    Yes I did torque them in the air with no vehicle weight. So if I loosen the u bolts up while the suspension is loaded may make a difference. I'll do that this weekend after I get the bumper on. I'll get that hub to fender measurement tomorrow. This is all a learning curve for me, so I'm expecting a few bumps along the way. Oh ya and then retorque the u bolts in the ground. Thanks for your input.

Yes I did torque them in the air with no vehicle weight. So if I loosen the u bolts up while the suspension is loaded may make a difference. I'll do that this weekend after I get the bumper on. I'll get that hub to fender measurement tomorrow. This is all a learning curve for me, so I'm expecting a few bumps along the way. Oh ya and then retorque the u bolts in the ground. Thanks for your input.
    Its worth a shot! I have learned a HUGE amount in my Taco journey so far, and I have so much more to learn. Thats half the fun IMO. I wonder -> try to measure before and after you re-torque and see if the height is different.
    -anon

KC1GPY

Dont know if you've seen this - torque spec guide

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-guide.318116/
    -anon

KC1GPY

Great thread. FWIW, my 1st gen had driveline vibes between 30 and 50 mph. When I switched my rear pack from NWOR to Alcan (which incorporates the 3 degree shim angle into pack) my vibes went away. Sounds like you guys are on track but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid, modified TG Tacoma Sliders
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    Great thread. FWIW, my 1st gen had driveline vibes between 30 and 50 mph. When I switched my rear pack from NWOR to Alcan (which incorporates the 3 degree shim angle into pack) my vibes went away. Sounds like you guys are on track but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.
    Same thing here, but vibes at 20mph. 3 degree shims fixed it
    -anon

KC1GPY

Dont know if you've seen this - torque spec guide

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-guide.318116/
    That was a good read. I did find what I believe is an FSM for a 2026 Tacoma and it has the u bolt torque at 52 ft lbs.

i did loosen the leaf springs on the ground, then retorqued them to 75 ft lbs. there was no change in height. The height I have on rear of truck is 24" from center of hub to bottom of fender. I have the same up front, 24". I'm going to install the bumper and winch this weekend and see if the added weight up front makes any changes.
    I took the OME shim out from the carrier bearing and went from nearly a zero degree working angle on the center u joint to a 3 degree working angle. It didn't change anything though. Will see what happen after the bumper install.

That was a good read. I did find what I believe is an FSM for a 2026 Tacoma and it has the u bolt torque at 52 ft lbs.

i did loosen the leaf springs on the ground, then retorqued them to 75 ft lbs. there was no change in height. The height I have on rear of truck is 24" from center of hub to bottom of fender. I have the same up front, 24". I'm going to install the bumper and winch this weekend and see if the added weight up front makes any changes.
    I took the OME shim out from the carrier bearing and went from nearly a zero degree working angle on the center u joint to a 3 degree working angle. It didn't change anything though. Will see what happen after the bumper install.
    2016 Tacoma

So I installed my ARB bumper and Warn Winch. The front end squated 1" and the front vibes I Was feeling are pretty much gone. I'm still going back to Toyota next Saturday to have them recheck the allighnment that they did and to also have the wheels rebalanced.

I am pretty sure that 54 is a misprint in the manual. i use 73. check around
    -anon

KC1GPY

I am pretty sure that 54 is a misprint in the manual. i use 73. check around
    I agree. I torqued mine at 75.