Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: GPS Reccomendations?

Default GPS Reccomendations?

Hey All,

Bear with me I am not to familiar with these devices, hence why I am turning to you guys. So I am in the market for a handheld GPS. I am not sure what you guys reccomend/use.

I want to be able to use it for hiking, overlanding, and for Search and Rescue. I want to be able to access maps and program routes into it. Waterproof would be nice also. I do not have a set budget but cheaper would be nice.

Not sure if i missed anything but if I did then let me know.
    '93 Black Ford Bronco, "One Fast Chicken"
    Mostly stock but it was awesome from the factory anyway.

Bump. No-one uses a GPS?

A lot of us just rely on navigation apps and use on our phone or tablet. This thread has a lot of info on apps, http://forums.exploringnh.com/showth...ght=GPS+device. You'll find more activity on this forum in spring when folks wake up from off road hibernation. Check out some groups such as Overland Bound (https://www.overlandbound.com) or a local hiking group like Hike the 4000 Footers of NH.

Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 93bronco View Post
    Hey All,

Bear with me I am not to familiar with these devices, hence why I am turning to you guys. So I am in the market for a handheld GPS. I am not sure what you guys reccomend/use.

I want to be able to use it for hiking, overlanding, and for Search and Rescue. I want to be able to access maps and program routes into it. Waterproof would be nice also. I do not have a set budget but cheaper would be nice.

Not sure if i missed anything but if I did then let me know.
    Check out the inReach from Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by bajatacoguy View Post
    Check out the inReach from Garmin
    I had a Garmin Dakota 20 which was handheld, you could get topo maps for, had a companion programf or your laptop so you could set up your routes then download them into the device.

This was several years ago, not sure what the current unit is called but I liked it and would recommend it.
    Back In Only Please

My in Dash unit is great for pavement...
    I bought a Garmin Oregon 650 with topo maps that works great for tracking/scouting jeep runs and then saving the files and uploading to Google Maps or Base Camp.
    The handheld is my main unit for Jeep, Hunting, Fishing, GeoCaching and other outdoor activity.

-Mark
    2016 Rubicon, RK 2.5" Lift, RK steering stabilizer, FOX 2 Shocks, 35" DuraTrac, Bushwacker Fenders, Spider Diff covers, TeraFlex HD Trackbars, Cobra 75 CB, RI LED HD, Firestick2, Superwinch, GMRS "WRBS559"

Thank you all. Some good options here. For now I will just try out the various phone apps. Sometime soon I wil upgrade to a dedicated GPS.

Type "bad elf gps" into whatever search you prefer on your computer -- it a GPS receiver, smaller than a cigarette pack, that links by blue tooth to your phone, laptop,tablet

it's also a stand alone gps data logger, it will track where you've been but won't point you where to go unless joined to another device

I use mine with a program called Gaia on my IPad -- can download very detailed maps and use everything offline

just another very versatile option...

Not that this will help everyone, but I just got my 730N RER MyGig system back from having the screen repaired and the maps updated. When they did, they upgraded a lot because now I can record trails. It only stores 12, but still, you can record a run (depending on length or time, not sure which yet) and save it, and then you can just plot your next trip to that start point and run it again. This last bit is an assumption, but I can see no other reason for recording them, and reviewing it seems to back that up.
    So as I said, not a lot of help unless you own a JK. But, it is an option that I have now for recording that I didn't have before :)
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Not that this will help everyone, but I just got my 730N RER MyGig system back from having the screen repaired and the maps updated. When they did, they upgraded a lot because now I can record trails. It only stores 12, but still, you can record a run (depending on length or time, not sure which yet) and save it, and then you can just plot your next trip to that start point and run it again. This last bit is an assumption, but I can see no other reason for recording them, and reviewing it seems to back that up.
    So as I said, not a lot of help unless you own a JK. But, it is an option that I have now for recording that I didn't have before :)
    Wait, WHAT! Your OEM nav radio has ability to record a track? That is cool

Quote Originally Posted by Yipjeep View Post
    Wait, WHAT! Your OEM nav radio has ability to record a track? That is cool
    Hells ya! I was shocked, because like you I had not realized it was available at all. It is stated right in the 2010 manual for the radio, but not in the 2008/2009 version. From what I read, they were pretty high tech for their day.
    The funniest part to close out my hijack is it has both uconnect buttons, for hands free calling. Right in the jk manual it lists the radio, then notes uconnect and says "not available in wrangler and wrangler unlimited models". It can be activated on my unit but I dont use it enough to pay for the plug in module.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Concerning the Gaia app on a tablet. How do you delete tracks? I'm leading a run this weekend and want to use the app to follow the trail but I have several tracks loaded and need to remove some so the screen isn't so cluttered. Thank you, ME

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-13-16-06-01.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	31402  
    Back In Only Please

On the bottom menu bar, you should have a selection that looks like a little folder called "Saved". Opening that shows all your saved tracks. They all have an eyeball symbol next to them. Tap the eyeball and it'll turn grey with a line through it and that track will no longer be shown on the main map screen.

At least on Android. YMMV with an Apple product.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Ford 8.8" rear axle, HP D30 front axle w/ chromoly shafts and truss, hydro assist steering, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    On the bottom menu bar, you should have a selection that looks like a little folder called "Saved". Opening that shows all your saved tracks. They all have an eyeball symbol next to them. Tap the eyeball and it'll turn grey with a line through it and that track will no longer be shown on the main map screen.
    At least on Android. YMMV with an Apple product. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    this is great thank you, I am Android so it shouldn't be an issue
    Just in time too, we are doing the run tomorrow!
    Back In Only Please