Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got into a Wrangler

Default Finally got into a Wrangler

So after realizing my 08 kk liberty wasn't gonna be the best trail rig with parts and accessories being extremely expensive and rarely available (some might remember from freezing your gas off) which I couldn't attend due to being unable to source parts in time, so I began the search for a tj and happy to say I found this 97, now begins the fun part of getting it to where I want it to be, already picked up a front bumper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180130_174437640.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	30525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180205_165834853.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	30526  

Both nice looking jeeps. Are you able to keep the liberty to daily drive? Good luck with the build.
    2014 JKUR
    White/Auto/4:10's
    Teraflex 2.5" spacer lift~Poison Spyder HD transmission crossmember~RockHard 4x4 engine, transfer case and fuel tank aluminum skids~
    PureJeep electronic swaybar disconnect steel skid~Dominion Offroad evap relocation~IPF headlight upgrade~Cobra 75wxst

Quote Originally Posted by XJ_Dave View Post
    Both nice looking jeeps. Are you able to keep the liberty to daily drive? Good luck with the build.
    Yea still got the liberty and thank you

COngrat
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-ties
    KC1GPY

enjoy the build ,so many ways to build
    Scott / Team Jeep crawl

1997 Jeep TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,BFG KM 2 33s ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,stinkys off road full roll cage , ARB snorkel along/ with a few outer moderate add ons ,with a bunch of gear / tools for some moderate class six adventures ...with a Bantam Trailer, for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Leave no trace / carry out more then you carry in

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Congratulations!!
    Same year as mine, well some of it, haha ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jeep crawl View Post
    enjoy the build ,so many ways to build
    This ^! I try to enjoy every turn of the wrench
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-ties
    KC1GPY

Thanks guys, I plan to keep it fairly simple, probably a 3-4" lift with 33's

Quote Originally Posted by Tjohns37 View Post
    Thanks guys, I plan to keep it fairly simple, probably a 3-4" lift with 33's
    Just a heads up, there is no "simple" 3"-4" lift for the TJ. You will need a cv driveshaft at the rear, a slip yoke eliminator at the rear output of the transfer case, adjustable control arms on the rear, upper at a min I believe. Your axles will look quite goofy with one way left of center and the other way right, so track bar relocation will be required front and rear.
    These just come immediately to mind. IMO, if you do all that you may as well go with a tummy tuck to get some serious ground clearance.
    You should be able to fit 33" tires with 2" lift and 1" body/mml. I fit them quite well with a saggy 2" lift. I had like 4.25 bs rims with 33x10.5x15 tires, so cleared everything quite well, but had a 2000 Sahara which had 1" wider fender flares than other models (same as Rubicon flares were) . A good 2" spring lift might be the ticket if you go with non stock bs rims and 33x10.5 tires.
    You could also do the 2" lift along with a tummy tuck, bit you would still have to do the transfer/ds/ca/mml changes and possibly a body lift.
    Of course, all of this depends on your luck with the nutserts in the frame. They suck. Hard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bob; 02-11-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Just a heads up, there is no "simple" 3"-4" lift for the TJ.
    If this is your first time out wheeling I'd spend as little as possible right now. Those look like 31s, great size tire for a TJ. I'd put a cheap-o spacer lift in, and rock sliders. Make sure your gas tank skid is still there and maybe consider putting a stronger one on, I can't remember my TJ's skid, that was too long ago. Engine oil pan skid before gas I guess.

Oh, differential covers.

Do you have a 4 or a 6? If you have a 4 you will not want to go bigger than 33s without re-gearing.

That should be under $700, I'm guessing, I didn't do the math, and you'll have a blast.

OH, front sway bar disconnects, that will make your life easier.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disco w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids

Oh, and a steering box skid, those are super exposed on TJs (and YJs)
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disco w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    Oh, and a steering box skid, those are super exposed on TJs (and YJs)
    It's the 4.0 and yes it has 31's on it now with a budget spacer lift, I'd guess an inch, I do plan to put skids in, this wouldn't be my first time wheeling, just first time in a Wrangler, i found a teraflex 3" kit that comes with everything needed, about a year old for a good price, only thing I'd need to get is the sye, and skids

Congratulations on the Jeep. Looks like you are working fast in finding parts!
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, OME stock height, Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid, modified TG Tacoma Sliders
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Quote Originally Posted by Tjohns37 View Post
    It's the 4.0 and yes it has 31's on it now with a budget spacer lift, I'd guess an inch, I do plan to put skids in, this wouldn't be my first time wheeling, just first time in a Wrangler, i found a teraflex 3" kit that comes with everything needed, about a year old for a good price, only thing I'd need to get is the sye, and skids
    The TJ is a nice addition to the Liberty. I'm a fan of both.

Just to echo what Paul (NotThePainter) said; keep it simple for now and you'll have a great time. If you already have a budget boost and 31's I'd say run it as is for the beginning of the season. My first outings with this bunch were with a 20-something YJ on tired springs (about -1"), 31's, and factory skids, and I had a blast. I found what I wanted to improve little by little, mainly because I had the chance to learn what I wanted, on the fly. We pre-ran the entire Bacon to Margaritas course three years ago with a showroom stock YJ following, and I mean down to the 215/75-15 tires.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Member: The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

My biggest mistake was building too fast. I both didn't learn how to drive and I kept flushing money down the drain.

I'm where I want to be right now but the path to get there was weird and convoluted.
    --