Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: "The Road To Moab" - Team Overbuilt

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

All this ^ makes me think that my decision of renting when I go, would be a good one, to avoid the time and money of breaking.

Chris does not look happy in that picture, sorry to read this happened.

I wish you guys better luck next time out and hope you have a good rest of your trip.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    All this ^ makes me think that my decision of renting when I go, would be a good one, to avoid the time and money of breaking.

Chris does not look happy in that picture, sorry to read this happened.

I wish you guys better luck next time out and hope you have a good rest of your trip.
    It's all good, thanks for the support! We're on our way back to Moab now and it'll be fixed very soon. We will be hitting a trail by the end of the day. Everyone is in great spirits regardless. The photo was a bit staged - apparently that is Chris's serious face haha.

I looked into renting. They are VERY restrictive of where you can bring the rentals as far as trails. There no go list covered almost half of what we wanted to do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

To come full circle, here is a photo from about 2 hours after the shaft broke once we got off the trail. We're having a great time just being here!

Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    It's all good, thanks for the support! We're on our way back to Moab now and it'll be fixed very soon. We will be hitting a trail by the end of the day. Everyone is in great spirits regardless. The photo was a bit staged - apparently that is Chris's serious face haha.

I looked into renting. They are VERY restrictive of where you can bring the rentals as far as trails. There no go list covered almost half of what we wanted to do.
    No problem :)

Never got there far to see the rentals restrictions, but thanks for the heads-up ;)

My other thought was Chris was tired and hungover, haha :p
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

So we got the red truck back together and hit the trail around 4:30pm. We chose Cliffhanger. The H3, truck and Jeep descended into the valley and slowly started up the other side. A couple obstacles in, we realized it was getting late and dark and had over four hours left to go to complete the trail. We opted to turn around and head back out. On the last obstacle on the way out, the H3 broke a rear 10 bolt axle shaft halfway up. We were able to get him to the top and limped out to the road where Devin arrived with his trailer and truck and brought the H3 back to the condo. Will and Casey will retrieve a new shaft from a junkyard in New Mexico tomorrow morning and replace it in the parking lot.

Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Awesome trip.

But your experience is exactly why I donít go off-roading in a truck anymore. Spend all the time working on the vehicle just to break shortly afterwards. No Thanks!
    It's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
    Awesome trip.

But your experience is exactly why I donít go off-roading in a truck anymore. Spend all the time working on the vehicle just to break shortly afterwards. No Thanks!
    Thanks! We think it's awesome too!

It isn't for everyone, I agree. Breaking is all part of the experience. Sometimes the recovery and repair is more exciting than the obstacle you broke on. Sure, it sucks to break and end a day of wheeling but I sure feels great to be able to repair and get back out there.

Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

MappingNH Trail Scout

Talking

Great picks Mitch :)

10-bolt axle -- LOL!! Why? HAHA! Better buy more than one axle...for spares ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Great picks Mitch :)

10-bolt axle -- LOL!! Why? HAHA! Better buy more than one axle...for spares ;)
    I agree! It needs something stronger.

Casey and Will drove to New Mexico to pick up a junkyard replacement shaft. While they were out, we went back and finished running Cliffhanger with the truck and Jeep. Having done some of the obstacles already, we moved right along at the beginning. The trail climbed up to a cliff ledge with some technical rock obstacles. We had a blast!

Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

These photos are absolutely KILLING ME!

Glad you guys are having such a good time. When does the rest of the crew start wheeling? Today?

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    Thanks! We think it's awesome too!

It isn't for everyone, I agree. Breaking is all part of the experience. Sometimes the recovery and repair is more exciting than the obstacle you broke on. Sure, it sucks to break and end a day of wheeling but I sure feels great to be able to repair and get back out there.

I couldn't agree more. I somewhat perversely look forward to having breakage because it tells me what I need to work on next!
    I like wrenching on my rig almost as much as I like driving it, maybe even more if I'm honest.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Ford 8.8" rear axle, HP D30 front axle w/ chromoly shafts and truss, hydro assist steering, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

Yesterday consisted of another half day of wrenching in the parking lot and then we hit the Moab Rim Trail. We've been time to head up so you hit the top at dusk allowing you to see the town below all lit up. We could even see offroad vehicles on Hells revenge across the valley.

This was a two way trail meaning we had to come out the way we came in. In the dark. This proved to be time consuming and tedious at times but overall an awesome experience. The trail is very close to the top of a cliff so nerves are high. We got to the trail head around 2am.

Video of Chris on the first obstacle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiIQr2PAe6d0TTPM2

Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Are you guys totally independent of the other group?
    It's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
    Are you guys totally independent of the other group?
    So far, the plan was to be independent and hit some harder trails then meet up with the rest of the crew early this week. We also got out here much earlier.

A lot of plans have changed for both groups due to breakage. Joe and Paul are on a short road trip to get parts for the Land Rover. We're playing it by ear and making the best of the time we have in this amazing place. We do plan to meet up with everyone and have a relaxing day on the trails.

Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I somewhat perversely look forward to having breakage because it tells me what I need to work on next!
    We call it "weakness leaving."
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    These photos are absolutely KILLING ME!

Glad you guys are having such a good time. When does the rest of the crew start wheeling? Today?

I like wrenching on my rig almost as much as I like driving it, maybe even more if I'm honest.
    Its an excuse to spend money
    98 Chevy 2500
    pro rok 60 front, rcv shafts, arb, ORD steering, 4.56
    14bff, arb, disc brakes, 4.56
    VIAIR system, 37 BFG KM 2's