Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Tech Talk Skid Plates

Default Tech Talk Skid Plates

I am going to start combining/merging/moving all skid plate questions/conversations/threads to this thread.
    Last edited by FSHJNKY; 01-05-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Default Underbody protection

Hello all!!
    I have a new Wrangler Unlimited Sport. I added on some sweet rock rails.
    What is the next thing I should get to protect the Jeep while off roading? This is also my work car, so I have to keep it running!
    Skid plates (which ones?), diff. covers...???

Thanks!
    Jim

I would definitely get a full skid system, gas tank included. I would reach out to one of our Marketing Partners and see what they recommend, what deals or offers might be available right now. I went with SOLID diff covers based on price, recommendations and reviews.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb Repost

Definitely skids or protection items in general of important stuff underneath. I always have told people to do them first, as protecting some very expensive vital parts would be in your best interest, as well as the environments ;)

This topic has been already covered here on ENH, so please feel free to read and learn. it is easier to find and read one thread that has all the pertinent information rather than several. Paul has done an exhaustive job of making many master topics covering such things as this, so go ahead and check them out. Thank you.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

One question - if you're planning to do any kind of rust protection (Fluid Film, POR15, Eastwood Anti-Rust, or any other products that lead to never-ending debates online), shouldn't you do that BEFORE putting the skid plates on?

Now I want to start a thread asking where all the skid plate threads are.... ;)
    Happy New Year Paul :)
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Now I want to start a thread asking where all the skid plate threads are.... ;)
    Happy New Year Paul :)
    And I want Paul to come organize my garage . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
    And I want Paul to come organize my garage . . .
    Thanks for reminding me what I need to do this weekend. Mine is a disaster area.

Engines over here, trans and transfer cases there, old cylinder heads and transmission parts cluttering up my bench, a TJ tub just hanging out by itself in the middle of the floor... I'm tired just thinking about it.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Ford 8.8" rear axle, HP D30 front w/ chromo shafts and truss, hydro assist steering, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" BB on 30's, 'The Beater'

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    Thanks for reminding me what I need to do this weekend. Mine is a disaster area.

Engines over here, trans and transfer cases there, old cylinder heads and transmission parts cluttering up my bench, a TJ tub just hanging out by itself in the middle of the floor... I'm tired just thinking about it.
    Thanks for reminding me, luckily most on mine is new parts in boxes, but theres no more room under the kitchen table and to many prodjects going on in the basement. Maybe the computer room!
    MIKE
    Member: Treadlightly
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

OK, I found this section and just curious what folks think... I have my eyes on either a HardRock system or Metalcloak system.
    Both are priced about the same, just curious on install and fit. I dont run long arms, I do have a 2.5" lift, so shouldn't need any cutting.
    I want a bolt on system.

concerns with a system like this is crap collection on the skids that i dont see (mud, leaves...)
    Oil changes and having oil run down the back of the skid plate? (will add a valve and hose to drain)

Any feed back on either of these 2 systems?

Thanks!
    2016 Rubicon, RK 2.5" Lift, RK steering stabilizer, FOX 2 Shocks, 35" DuraTrac, Bushwacker Fenders, Spider Diff covers, TeraFlex HD Trackbars, Cobra 75 CB, RI LED HD, Firestick2, Superwinch

Here are several photos of my MetalCloak underarmor system. Iíve slid down a few high-center obstacles with it, so I can confirm that it is solid.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuACtRAQNfF_goIWQog6eWHAbP-BXA

My other advice would be to decide whether or not to do any rust protection BEFORE you install the skid plates. You can see photos and notes on my rust-proofing project here:

http://www.baystatejeepers.com/forum...abd7d5d#p47431