Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Locked/Locked in winter daily?

Default Locked/Locked in winter daily?

so anyone have lockers front and rear and drive during the winter? hows it work out for ya

You mean auto lockers right? Just wanting to be clear. Mine is locked front and rear but selectable.
    As to input, I have no real world experience, however the general consensus is massive push in slippery stuff like snow and slush.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    You mean auto lockers right? Just wanting to be clear. Mine is locked front and rear but selectable.
    As to input, I have no real world experience, however the general consensus is massive push in slippery stuff like snow and slush.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Drove an xj with front locker and didn't notice a difference to speak of. Rear locker would bring the sucki believe.
    It's all gone.

(AUTO LOCKERS) Rear will like to come around on you in even small amounts of snow on hard turns when under power or engine braking with a stick. You will want to slow way down for just about any turn you need to make under power or engine braking with a stick. Now in 4 wheel and a front locker its going to push a lot. Wide tires or airing down helps but it will still push. The few times i drove the YJ in storms it was fine in the back roads but when turning at stop lights i would find myself making turns so wide i would hit the curb on the other side. You will hate it and tell ya the truth its very unpredictable and dangerous unless moving at low speeds.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

I ran open front, welded (full lock) rear, I loved it. Predictable and no pushing.

Ran 1 winter spooled front and rear (full lock), not bad, corners got interesting from a dead stop, but liveable.

Now I have a spool front and Detroit locker in the rear. I honestly hate the Detroit. Locks and unlocks, not always predictable. Bangs around a bit shifting.

If I had to choose one I'd go Detroit front and spooled rear. Money saved on locker pays the (very little) difference in tire wear.
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

I would think it depends a lot on what the rig is. I know when I've turned my lockers on in my TJ in the snow just to see how it handles, it's almost undriveable at road speeds. On dry roads, it'll hop you out of the seat taking a sharp corner. Even on hard gravel, it doesn't want to turn.

With something longer, I imagine it would be a lot less noticeable. The steer tires have a lot more leverage against the rear axle with a longer wheelbase.
    '99 TJ, 8.8" rear - HP30 front w/ chromos and trusses, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck.
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ, 5.2 V8, 2" BB on 30's, "The Winter Beater"

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Question

Pretty much agree with everything above, but what lockers and which vehicle, to be more exact with the opinions?

Off camber slippery roads tend to be the worst, because you don't have that one non spinning tire anchoring you to the road, so very easy to slide more sideways.

I have done it, but don't consider it the safest thing on the snowy roads.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch do not ;)

cherokee auto lockers. finding a winter xj for under $400 is impossible just going to rough it out. didn't know if anyone had any experience

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Hemenechi View Post
    cherokee auto lockers. finding a winter xj for under $400 is impossible just going to rough it out. didn't know if anyone had any experience
    Light vehicle, so you will feel them a lot more, though a little longer than a Wrangler will help slightly.
    As written, auto lockers will lock and unlock, sometimes unexpectedly, especially with a manual transmission.
    So yes basically it will simply suck when the slippery stuff comes.

It is hard to find cheap roadworthy automobiles period nowadays, never mind for just the winter, as everything has gone up, and it will get even harder starting next month when people start raising the prices for their "winter beaters".

Good luck and drive safe!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch do not ;)

Front locker in the snow at the speed and you won't be able to steer. Rear locker only in 4wd and you won't notice anything. Rear locker in 2wd and you will do the best donuts of your life whether you want to or not.
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad Fabrication & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Installations

(603) 831-0346
    www.scerbfab.com