Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Lumpskie's Diesel Land Cruiser Build

I made a little progress on the headlights today... plastidipped the chrome surrounds anthracite gray to match the grill and corners.

1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, OME stock height, Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid, modified TG Tacoma Sliders
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Depos installed! I was surpised that I had to remove grill, corner markers and turn signals to get the stock lights out.

Here's what they look like on:

Here's the look off:

Here's the light pattern, after I adjusted them. Those 45 degree shards of light are actually handy on the road... they act kind of like mini high beams for the edge of the road.

Over all, I'm happy with the result. I'll save my stockers, just in case I change my mind too.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, OME stock height, Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid, modified TG Tacoma Sliders
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Lookin good!
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-ties
    KC1GPY

Bumper and lights look real good! Look forward to seeing this in the spring!
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ, LQ9 powered, NV4500 5spd, 2.5" front 3 link on coilovers / rear triangulated 4 link on 35's, triple stick NP205 + ECObox doubler, tummy tuck, trussed Waggy D44s with chromo shafts, 4.88s, OX locked, York powered OBA, 8k winch, LED reverse lighting and always up for an adventure!
    Build thread

Overland Trailer: fully caged, custom TJ width 6 lug axle, 35x12.5 MTs, XJ leafs, airbag shocks, dual battery, 15gal fuel reserve, 80qt fridge, LED lighting, stereo

Thanks guys!
    On Thursday I drove home from work and, when hitting the brakes, the Cruiser wanted to pull to the right. When I parked in the garage, I got out and saw smoke billowing from the front driver's wheel well. Looked in through the wheel and saw the caliper giving off a faint glow. This was a problem because my inlaws were arriving on Friday and I was supposed to drive everyone up to the Ice Castle, which was a 2 hour drive in each direction.

I pulled the caliper and, sure enough, the pistons were stuck. Luckily, I knew that a local shop still had a parts rig sitting out back. So, I swung by Wicked C.A.S. and bought a caliper off this rig:

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    My heart sank for you for a second - I saw this picture before I read the text and thought you had an accident!

Glad it was just a pesky caliper.
    2003 TJ - Superwinch 9500 (second motor, second solenoid) - 1" MML - 3" spring lift - JKS Track Bar - 33x10.50 on stock Canyon rims - Core4x4 Tier 4 CAs

Quote Originally Posted by dschad View Post
    My heart sank for you for a second - I saw this picture before I read the text and thought you had an accident!

I didn't think of the picture scaring anyone but, now that I look at it, I can totally see your reaction!

My Miata has aftermarket headlight housings that have a very similar beam pattern to those. I love it, it makes a huge difference in spotting deer and things. I wish US spec cars came with ones like that.
    Scott

2003 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    My Miata has aftermarket headlight housings that have a very similar beam pattern to those. I love it, it makes a huge difference in spotting deer and things. I wish US spec cars came with ones like that.
    Yeah, the more I use them the more I like them!

I guess I'm becoming a Toyota nerd... I decided to buy an OEM Toyota Jerry Can for the Land Cruiser. Here's what they look like:

What would be wrong with a regular jerry can?
    '93 Black Ford Bronco, "One Fast Chicken"
    Mostly stock but it was awesome from the factory anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dschad View Post

I thought the same thing.

Now out out of curiosity...why would you buy a used caliper off a rig thatís been sitting?
    It's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 93bronco View Post
    What would be wrong with a regular jerry can?
    not as cool thats for sure. I dig it Lumpskee
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-ties
    KC1GPY

Quote Originally Posted by GSSFC View Post
    I thought the same thing.

Now out out of curiosity...why would you buy a used caliper off a rig thatís been sitting?

I just bought it for the nerd factor. I saw a good deal and just wemt for it. They are like most any high quality can. I like that the spout stores inside rather than on top too. Toyota makes a can holder that I like as well.

For the used caliper, I needed it the same day so I could drive up to the ice castles. Since I knew that this rig had only been sitting for a couple months, and that is had only 150,000 miles on it, I went for it.

I've had an intermittent starting issue where the starter would turn over really slowly. I checked battery voltage while my wife cranked and it seems good. So, I think I might order a starter rebuild kit and replace all the contacts in there when it warms up.

For now, I'm just enjoying driving it... it's the best snow vehicle I've ever driven.