Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Calendar with birthdays

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator, Mod, CTL Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Question Calendar with birthdays

I hope this does not come across as negative, so I apologize if it does, but I thought the "Today's Birthdays" at the bottom of the forum page was suffice. However I just went into the once practically empty calendar and it was now cluttered with seemingly every member's birthdays, which made it difficult [for me] to find anything else. Does anybody else feel this way? If so, please post up, as Paul might wish to see what others think of this change. Thank you.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch do not ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I hope this does not come across as negative, so I apologize if it does, but I thought the "Today's Birthdays" at the bottom of the forum page was suffice. However I just went into the once practically empty calendar and it was now cluttered with seemingly every member's birthdays, which made it difficult [for me] to find anything else. Does anybody else feel this way? If so, please post up, as Paul might wish to see what others think of this change. Thank you.
    I added it to see what it would look like and it definitely clutters up things so I have no problem removing it. However, it was also a little bit of a test to see if anybody would even notice. I did this change about 3 weeks ago so either nobody thought it was an issue or nobody has looked at the calendar. I have no problem removing the birthdays if it makes more sense.

Thanks for pointing this out.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

I actually like the layout change. If there are too many events, it consolidates birthdays into one and says "X birthdays", so it doesn't seem overly cluttered. A different color for like events (runs, birthdays, gatherings, etc.) might make it more clear, but it isn't bad on my end, at least here at work on my computer. Though that could be different on my phone. And, I'm more of a calendar person than daily scheduler anyway, so it flows well for me.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

I'm on both sides of the fence... first no I had not seen this until now, but with all being the same color I do not really like it, events and birthdays just blend together. If the birthdays were a different color as bob said this may not be as bad. On my personal google calendar the types of events are differentiated by color or shading and it works well.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

No issues on note 4 using chrome. I also like that events seem to be prioritized, meaning they top the days events. Perhaps just a color selection is all it needs Paul.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    I actually like the layout change. If there are too many events, it consolidates birthdays into one and says "X birthdays", so it doesn't seem overly cluttered. A different color for like events (runs, birthdays, gatherings, etc.) might make it more clear, but it isn't bad on my end, at least here at work on my computer. Though that could be different on my phone. And, I'm more of a calendar person than daily scheduler anyway, so it flows well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    I'm on both sides of the fence... first no I had not seen this until now, but with all being the same color I do not really like it, events and birthdays just blend together. If the birthdays were a different color as bob said this may not be as bad. On my personal google calendar the types of events are differentiated by color or shading and it works well.
    Good feedback. Let me see if I can set the birthdays to a specific color and we can go from there.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

I forgot we had a calendar. Thanks for the reminder
    I don't always go off road, but when I do, I prefer a Land Rover.
    Keep wheeling my friends.

Joe "All the meats" McDonough

There are now 2 calendars. When you click the calendar the default is the Events Calendar. Up in the right hand corner on the calendar page is a Calendar Picker drop down where you can go and select the Birthdays Calendar if you want to see the ENH birthdays.

Hope this helps.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Buy a Gazetteer

great idea ! should work very well.

Now if everyone can use the event calendar
    Scott / Team Jeep crawl

1997 Jeep TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,BFG KM 2 33s ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,stinkys off road full roll cage , ARB snorkel along/ with a few outer moderate add ons ,with a bunch of gear / tools for some moderate class six adventures ...with a Bantam Trailer, for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Leave no trace / carry out more then you carry in

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    There are now 2 calendars. When you click the calendar the default is the Events Calendar. Up in the right hand corner on the calendar page is a Calendar Picker drop down where you can go and select the Birthdays Calendar if you want to see the ENH birthdays.

Hope this helps.
    Way better!
    MIKE
    Member: Treadlightly
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

I am hoping more people will start using the Calendar. Including myself. HAHA. Hopefully if the CTL's start using it and pointing people to it, then it will start being used more.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator, Mod, CTL Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeep crawl View Post
    ...Now if everyone can use the event calendar
    I tried a few years back, but had no luck, but there needs to be more than one person directing members to it, so maybe there will be better luck this time.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch do not ;)