Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HAM radio starter kit - buyer's guide

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    Ok so yours was only 7 business days, 10 regular days...

Did you just type your last name in the FCC licence search and you were there?
    Yup, daily! Refined it a little to only search the city we live in; found out there are two other "Capone's" licensed in town.

You'll definitely have it in a couple of days.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

As yet unnamed: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, automatic, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    Yup, daily! Refined it a little to only search the city we live in; found out there are two other "Capone's" licensed in town.

You'll definitely have it in a couple of days.
    Great, thanks for the feedback. Ya I searched by my town and saw one person I know listed.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04’ WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3” OME Lift, 1” Spacers, 32” Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

I took my test 4/11, got into the database 4/22. It all depends on how quickly the testing staff submit to the FCC, plus I suppose vagrities of vacation days
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Default Resurrecting an old thread, who got their license?

I thought it would be an interesting off-season activity to resurrect this thread to see who has become a ham, and what you're doing with it.

This thread is three years old, and I'm guessing there are some more hams in the group now.

I'm still using a Baofeng BF-F8+ and am happy with it. I seem to have trouble with the remote mic; I ordered what I thought was a Baofeng mic and the one that showed up is different from what was pictured on Amazon. I'll replace it one of these days because I think it makes a handy radio way more convenient. I haven't used the battery adapter much as the battery seems to last for a whole day of wheeling.

I have the programming cable but haven't used it, wasn't able to get my pc to communicate with the radio (port issues). I've programmed a bunch of channels and succeeded in communicating with a local repeater so I haven't needed it.

So; what are you all up to? 73
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

I thought it would be an interesting off-season activity to resurrect this thread to see who has become a ham, and what you're doing with it.

This thread is three years old, and I'm guessing there are some more hams in the group now.

I'm still using a Baofeng BF-F8+ and am happy with it. I seem to have trouble with the remote mic; I ordered what I thought was a Baofeng mic and the one that showed up is different from what was pictured on Amazon. I'll replace it one of these days because I think it makes a handy radio way more convenient. I haven't used the battery adapter much as the battery seems to last for a whole day of wheeling.

I have the programming cable but haven't used it, wasn't able to get my pc to communicate with the radio (port issues). I've programmed a bunch of channels and succeeded in communicating with a local repeater so I haven't needed it.

So; what are you all up to? 73
    I have a 2 meter rig in the truck and one at home I use as a base station. My truck rig is an ICOM 2300 that puts out 75 watts. I can hit repeaters way far away if I am high enough. I have hit concord from the class six roads in Bradford and Washington before. Pretty cool.

I go back and forth about going HF. I have so many hobbies now, where would I find the time lol.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie

1989 Ford Bronco II (Babe the Blue Pig) -> Stock and in pieces

I got my technician license this year. Just a handheld Baofeng for now.

I got a mag mount antenna that works well on my ZJ, picks up the Derry repeater nice and clear from Exeter. Haven't done much with it other than attempting unsuccessfully to communicate with Tundra between groups at one of the newbie runs.

Like Sean, I also have too many hobbies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, getting a whole lotta love this winter. Atlas-4, Waggy 44 swap, 3-link/4-link, 37" Pitbulls, maybe some coilovers or air struts? Stay tuned!
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

I'm brand new here, but I've been a ham for 30 years. I'm also a Volunteer Examiner, so if anyone has questions about getting licensed, feel free to ask!

While I'm here, I'll mention that the Baofeng radios a lot of you have don't meet FCC requirements (too much power and it can operate on restricted frequencies). The U.S. importer has been cited and banned from importing any more until these issues have been addressed.

The good news is that you are NOT restricted from continuing to use these radios! The FCC is cranky at the importer, not the people who bought them in good faith. So, carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ1H View Post
    I'm brand new here, but I've been a ham for 30 years. I'm also a Volunteer Examiner, so if anyone has questions about getting licensed, feel free to ask!

While I'm here, I'll mention that the Baofeng radios a lot of you have don't meet FCC requirements (too much power and it can operate on restricted frequencies). The U.S. importer has been cited and banned from importing any more until these issues have been addressed.

The good news is that you are NOT restricted from continuing to use these radios! The FCC is cranky at the importer, not the people who bought them in good faith. So, carry on.
    Are they a problem if you HAVE a license? I know that a lot of people buy them and use them with no license, since they are so cheap. The whole reason I went and got myself a license.

Or do they have a problem with the fact that you can program FRS/GMRS frequencies and transmit at higher power than legal?
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, getting a whole lotta love this winter. Atlas-4, Waggy 44 swap, 3-link/4-link, 37" Pitbulls, maybe some coilovers or air struts? Stay tuned!
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

There’s no problem using them on ham bands with a ham license. We’ve got nothing to worry about. 😊

The FCC’s problems are twofold:

1. The radios can transmit with 4 watts of power on some bands where only 1 watt is allowed. We hams, who are permitted to 1500 watts, have nothing to worry about!
    2. The radios are capable of transmitting on frequencies that they should be restricted from even listening to. Of course they can transmit outside the ham bands, and we all get in trouble for saying hi on the local police freq whether we have a ham license or not.

So, yeah. Nothing to worry about. It’s only the distributor and manufacturer who are in trouble. Just watch where you transmit....

There’s no problem using them on ham bands with a ham license. We’ve got nothing to worry about. 😊

The FCC’s problems are twofold:

1. The radios can transmit with 4 watts of power on some bands where only 1 watt is allowed. We hams, who are permitted to 1500 watts, have nothing to worry about!
    2. The radios are capable of transmitting on frequencies that they should be restricted from even listening to. Of course they can transmit outside the ham bands, and we all get in trouble for saying hi on the local police freq whether we have a ham license or not.

So, yeah. Nothing to worry about. It’s only the distributor and manufacturer who are in trouble. Just watch where you transmit....

It's really good to have someone in the group with your background as more and more of us transition to 2 meter for the woods. Thanks!

I get the issue with #1, we're not supposed transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies because those radios have to be type accepted, which a ham radio is not, but I have a question on #2; what frequencies (or broadcasts) are we as hams restricted from listening to?

Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

It's really good to have someone in the group with your background as more and more of us transition to 2 meter for the woods. Thanks!
    I second that!
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie

1989 Ford Bronco II (Babe the Blue Pig) -> Stock and in pieces

I just started recently studying. I picked up the HamStudy App for my phone. It basically provides all of the questions and give you explanations on the answers. This is been helpful, but is there a recommended Guide to get a more structured lesson? Is the ARRL guide the best option?
    2014 Nissan Xterra S: Extended Radflos (2.5" Lift), SPC UCAs, Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Bumper, P&P Engineering Level III Sliders.

Member: Tread Lightly!, Overland Bound (#13805)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
    I just started recently studying. I picked up the HamStudy App for my phone. It basically provides all of the questions and give you explanations on the answers. This is been helpful, but is there a recommended Guide to get a more structured lesson? Is the ARRL guide the best option?
    I read through the ARRL guide and then used a ham study app on my phone to practice before the test till I was getting all of them right. Worked great.

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

You're welcome! Ironically I serve a similar role in the local stage rally community. Glad I can help.

I get the issue with #1, we're not supposed transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies because those radios have to be type accepted, which a ham radio is not, but I have a question on #2; what frequencies (or broadcasts) are we as hams restricted from listening to?
    Basically, wireless or cellular phone frequencies, maybe some sooper seekrit government freqs too. No one except authorized people are allowed to listen to those, ham license or not.

I'd also be lying if I said I didn't have FRS frequencies programmed into the 440 MHz side of my dual band rig...

You're welcome! Ironically I serve a similar role in the local stage rally community. Glad I can help.
    You're gonna get lot's of questions now. We may have to give you your own forum

Basically, wireless or cellular phone frequencies, maybe some sooper seekrit government freqs too. No one except authorized people are allowed to listen to those, ham license or not.

Ah, thanks! I didn't even think of that. I was thinking Police/Fire frequencies, which I listen to on my BF-F8+ all the time.

I'd also be lying if I said I didn't have FRS frequencies programmed into the 440 MHz side of my dual band rig...
    Of course, for listening only

Tread Lightly!

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411