Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: First Jeep. Why did I wait so long?

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    Daaaaaaaaang.
    X2!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

That had to make a terrifying sound when it let go! I've seen photos of cast arbor plates exploding under load, also terrifying and potentially painful.

Stay safe pressing, everyone.

And keep the updates coming, Jesse!
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

I ordered my link suspension kits, they'll be here next week.

Looks like I know how my nights and weekends in the shop will be spent very soon.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, getting a whole lotta love this winter. Atlas-4, Waggy 44 swap, 3-link/4-link, 37" Pitbulls, maybe some coilovers or air struts? Stay tuned!
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Congrats on the new toys, coming along great!

... but I managed to finish before the wife started asking when I was coming inside. Always key.
    I'm still working on this... damn Jeep projects always take longer than expected... ;P
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

A little more sketchy business in the shop. I lost a caster off my HF engine hoist, and I needed to get my front Waggy 44 on the bench so I could work on it. No problem!

Just drag it over under the lift, strap it up, and roll the workbench under it! As long as I don't break a caster off my bench, I'll be all set.

I almost didn't take the cover off, since Mitch had been running this axle with no issues. I decided just to take it off anyway so I could check out the condition of the gears and get some fresh oil in it. Boy oh boy am I glad I did.

No biggie. I pulled the diff, re-tapped the holes, and put new grade 8 bolts in with a generous helping of red Loctite.

Gouged the housing pretty well. And the bearing cap. Those bolts were tough. Just gonna send it!

Got the axle all put back together with the Reid Knuckles and new shafts I got from another 44 I picked up awhile back. Re-packed the wheel bearings and threw some new brakes on it and she's all good to go. Suspension stuff and wheels showed up this week so I've got a busy weekend ahead of me.

I had some time after work last night so I decided to see what building these weld-on beadlocks would entail.

Spaced out the inner ring with washers so it would be centered.

Welded, grindered, and with the anti-coning ring welded in place.

A little black spray paint to keep it from rusting until it's warm enough to paint with my spray gun. Should be perfect for what I need. I'm going to internally balance these tires, never used the beads on a passenger vehicle before so hopefully they work.

Hopefully I can get the rest of the wheels done this weekend and maybe some link brackets welded to my frame. Let's do it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_111047.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	32710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_123813.jpg 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	32711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_143204.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	32712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_123006.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	32713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_123013.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	32714  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190220_185306.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	32715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190220_194957.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	32716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190220_195721.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	32717  
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, getting a whole lotta love this winter. Atlas-4, Waggy 44 swap, 3-link/4-link, 37" Pitbulls, maybe some coilovers or air struts? Stay tuned!
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Nice work Jesse,FYI you can purchase pieces for that locker from OX if theres something you may have doubts about holding up. Na you wheel pretty gently you should be ok!
    MIKE
    Member: Treadlightly
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

I would have sent that too, after I did what you did. I have seen that happen before...clean threads and thread-locker with proper torquing, especially in areas like that, can be your friend ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Had a lot more work to do than I realized before I'll be ready to start welding in link mounts.

Got three out of five wheels mounted up so far. Dang that's a lot of work torquing 32 bolts three times each! If they leak, I'm just gonna set them on fire instead of breaking them back down.

Laid out the mounts and figured out what was what. Tacked the gussets on so I could keep track of them.

Blew the front casters off my HF engine hoist so I decided to overdo it on the replacements. Shouldn't have a problem now!

While cutting off stock control arm mounts, I found some more frame cancer that had been hiding out under the mount. Plated that over on both sides.

Made up a jig for my transmission jack so It'll hold axles now. Should make the mockup a little easier. Overbuilt from 1/4" and 5/16" plate I got from the scrap dumpster at work.

Gonna head to Lowes tonight to get some PVC pipe to mock up the link arms and figure out what my tubing lengths need to be and where to weld on the mounts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FreakinJeep; 03-02-2019 at 05:27 PM.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Think of it this way Jesse, it looks like you got more welding and prep of those brackets to do so, than the simple torquing of bead lock bolts :p

Bigger and greaseable casters should definitely do the trick. Nice :)

Cool axle holder! An upgrade might be to put the pinion side support on a jack to facilitate setting the pinion angle ;)

Had a busy weekend.

Got all the brackets welded up, tacked in, measured and cut some PVC to mock up the tubing. Cycled the suspension through to check for interference.

Guess I won't be doing much of a stretch on the rear. It's a little close.

Took the axle back out and cut all the extra brackets off, shot some paint on her, and welded up the new lower brackets. They sit pretty much even with the bottom of the axle tube for extra ground clearance. Still have a link separation of just over 9", which should be adequate for 37s.

Tonight, I cut and welded up the DOM with the inserts and set her in place. I'm pretty psyched.

Bolted the shocks back on, stuffed the springs back in, and put tires on. Looks like I may not have to cut any sheetmetal despite the jump to 37s. I may go to ORIs or coilovers in the rear at some point, but for now I'm sticking with the conventional springs/shocks out back. Probably going to upgrade the front with something more.

Still fits under the flares. Even with the beadlocks. Good stuff.

Gonna get started on the front next. I might attempt a bit of a stretch up front, we will see how it goes.

Last edited by FreakinJeep; 03-04-2019 at 10:09 PM.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Looks great Jesse! The arms look great. I have experience pushing the axle back further, the diff cover self-clearances the fuel tank skid in time and works like a charm :)
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

Had a busy weekend.

Got all the brackets welded up, tacked in, measured and cut some PVC to mock up the tubing. Cycled the suspension through to check for interference.

Guess I won't be doing much of a stretch on the rear. It's a little close.

Took the axle back out and cut all the extra brackets off, shot some paint on her, and welded up the new lower brackets. They sit pretty much even with the bottom of the axle tube for extra ground clearance. Still have a link separation of just over 9", which should be adequate for 37s.

Tonight, I cut and welded up the DOM with the inserts and set her in place. I'm pretty psyched.

Bolted the shocks back on, stuffed the springs back in, and put tires on. Looks like I may not have to cut any sheetmetal despite the jump to 37s. I may go to ORIs or coilovers in the rear at some point, but for now I'm sticking with the conventional springs/shocks out back. Probably going to upgrade the front with something more.

Still fits under the flares. Even with the beadlocks. Good stuff.

Gonna get started on the front next. I might attempt a bit of a stretch up front, we will see how it goes.

Dude. That is so badass. I have so much to learn
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie

1989 Ford Bronco II (Babe the Blue Pig) -> Stock and in pieces

Thanks guys. The front should be more interesting. Got lots of room for longer arms up there, and I'm thinking a 2"-3" or so stretch should be doable without major frame modifications.

I ordered my steering kit from RuffStuff on Monday, so hopefully I'll have that fairly soon and can start setting up the front. I can't really do much mocking up without knowing where the draglink and panhard need to be located, for which I need the steering links assembled and attached.

I doubt I'll have that by this weekend, so I'll have to get the other two tires mounted, and maybe the frame side link brackets tacked into place. I can also get the brake lines, vent, e-brake cables, etc connected to the rear axle.

Might actually be good. I need a good day or two just to clean up my shop. It's been a disaster area for over a year now. I was torching off my front track bar mount last night and had a MINOR fire start in a pile of rags over against the wall.... hahaha.
    Last edited by FreakinJeep; 03-06-2019 at 10:54 AM.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

MappingNH Trail Scout

Exclamation Fire

...Might actually be good. I need a good day or two just to clean up my shop. It's been a disaster area for over a year now. I was torching off my front track bar mount last night and had a MINOR fire start in a pile of rags over against the wall.... hahaha.
    Ya, fires are not good! Be safe!!