Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: First Jeep. Why did I wait so long?

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    I started tackling the 800 lb gorilla of the v8 swap last night. Gonna have to do a lot of reading and internetting to get this right...
    Good luck with that Jesse!
    I don't like wiring, especially that much, haha.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

It doesn't look TOO bad when you dig into it.

The Dodge engine only uses a couple different connectors for sensors. And a lot of the same pin locations on the PCM plugs.

One big issue is it uses a different style injector connector, so I'll have to de-pin and swap all 8 of those over, which wouldn't be a big deal if they used a dedicated ground, but they are grounded along with the coil plug which I didn't necessarily want to change.

Then, some of the sensor plugs that have to be physically relocated share a common ground with others that are close by. So I have to do some splicing there probably.

And I have to add an additional 12v+ circuit and a relay into the fuse box to power the auto trans since I'm doing that swap at the same time.

Definitely going to be a learning experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 8.8" rear - HP30 front w/ chromos and trusses, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck.
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ, 5.2 V8, 2" BB on 30's, "The Winter Beater"

MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

...Definitely going to be a learning experience...
    No doubt! Good luck :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Most of my progress for the last couple weeks has been wiring, which is boring, but rewarding eventually.

Got the harness mocked up and laid all over the engine bay.

My radiator from Superior Radiator came in. It came with a shroud and a fan, but I didn't have enough room for the fan between the rad and the engine. What to do? I ended up removing the shroud and putting it on the front of the radiator, then flipping the blades of the fan around to make it a pusher instead of a puller.

Unfortunately, I didn't quite have enough room there either, so I had to make some standoffs out of tube stock to push the bottom of the radiator about an inch away from the grille for fan clearance.

I didn't take photos of much else, but I got some custom flex radiator hoses from ebay, got the P/S pump hooked up and full of oil, put an A/C bypass pulley on (for now, until I figure out my OBA situation), got the fuel line run up from the tank, and made up new battery, ground, and alternator cables from what I had left from the two vehicles.

First crank she didn't light up because I had one injector o-ring leaking so it wouldn't build enough fuel pressure to fire. Luckily I have a bunch of spares from a full engine gasket set I bought for my ZJ awhile back and didn't replace those.

Second crank, I got lots of cranking, but I kinda forgot that Chryslers won't idle when they've had power disconnected for a long time. I opened the throttle just a little bit and this was the result:

Lots left to do! Gotta keep on going if I'm gonna be ready for the nice weather!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180311_001114.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	30720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180311_001120.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	30721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180311_001146.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	30722  
    Last edited by FreakinJeep; 03-25-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    '99 TJ, 8.8" rear - HP30 front w/ chromos and trusses, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck.
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

I had to look back at my posts to see how long ago I started the odyssey of wiring this damn thing. Almost a month!

I finally got to taping up the harness today. Got all the bugs worked out and got her running at will. Went through two rolls of electrical tape but it's so much easier to handle the harness now.

Unfortunately I did find a transmission fluid leak once I got the trans full. Turns out I left one of the front pump housing bolts loose when I was putting it back together after the rebuild. Try as I might, I could not get to it through the inspection window, so I had to pull the trans today. Yanked it out, pulled the converter, tightened one bolt, and put it back in. What a donkey I am. At least it's not leaking anymore.

Tomorrow's plans are to get wire loom onto the harness, get it secured, and get new brake lines run. Once I have brakes, I can see if my amateur-rebuilt transmission actually moves.

Name:	20180324_185136.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	30812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180324_185220.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	30813  

MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Ya I loath redoing any of my work, but glad you were able to fix it Jesse ;)

Wow Jesse you are making quite a bit of progress. Can't wait to see it out on a run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2005 LJ Rubicon Metal Cloak GC fully adjustable 3.5" SA with MC Track Bars OME Shocks/Stabilizer, 1" MORE Alum BL, 1" MML, JCR 1 ton Steering Upgrade, Currie T Case Cable Shifter, UC Fab Tummy Tuck Skid Plate, Adams Driveshafts F/R, US Alloy Axle Shafts Front, MC F/R Fenders, MC Sliders, JCR Front Bumper with Superwinch 9,5 Synthetic Line. 35" Goodyear MTR's Pro Comp Steel Wheels

So apparently it takes 30+ feet!! of split loom and just over 3 full rolls of electrical tape to get from the last update to this:

I also bought some nice "wiring harness clips" from Amazon to keep with the factory look. Limits the number of zip ties needed. Turns out I actually had to order a little bit MORE split loom to cover the battery positive and ground cables, and then I should be finished wiring. Finally. That is, until I get to installing all my accessories, and my secondary power distribution center... dammit.

The two loose red wires you can see in the second photo are for the transmission relay and are the only wires that go between my newly constructed engine harness and the body harness. I ordered a universal weatherpack connector to finish that connection off and keep it clean.

After dinner tonight, I bent up and flared all new brake lines, installed them, and bled the brakes. One more vehicle system up and running!

On my evenings this week, the next step is to get the trans and transfer case shifters installed and see if she moves (now that I have brakes again of course)!

Name:	20180325_120320.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	30814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180325_161540.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	30815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180325_161617.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	30816  
    Last edited by FreakinJeep; 03-25-2018 at 08:38 PM.

I've made a bit more progress. Fixed a couple leaks, found some issues and resolved them. I really need it to be warm enough outside to paint, then we'll get some major progress.

I have the under-hood part of the swap pretty much all set!

Once I started making wiring harnesses and had lots of split loom and ties left over, it became time to LOOM ALL THE THINGS, hence the new electric fan getting a nice harness and the fan itself getting a weatherpack connector. I got the engine wiring completely finalized now. The electric fan works awesome and keeps the heat down with the big v8 pretty nicely. The green wire outside the loom will be run into the cab as an override switch so I can force the fan to turn on manually. You can also see the Dorman coolant reservoir that I kinda shoved into a spot where it would fit.

I got the charcoal canister and solenoids and LDP reinstalled and hooked up. No more evap codes! All the rest of the vacuum hoses are connected as well. (Brake booster, breather, PCV, heater controls, and emissions)

I had a coolant leak from the thermostat housing that was solved on the third attempt with a new housing, thicker gasket, and RTV; and the heater bypass hose from the water pump snapped when I was trying to bend it to clear the power steering pump, both have been resolved. Installed a power steering cooler in preparation for my hydro assist, and combined the Jeep and Dodge heater hoses into some Frankenstein combination that works nicely and looks somewhat factory.

To move on to something that the wife would notice and see progress (haha) I started on my fender flares last night. I got one rear one mounted. With steel body sides, It would be really easy to weld the flares on, but I wanted them to be removable for when I'm spending a weekend somewhere with harder terrain where the flares get hit. To that end, I decided to drill and tap the 3/16" corner armor for bolts so I could bolt the flares on instead. I'm not sure how well the mild steel will hold the threads in the long run, so I may end up having to remove it and weld nuts to the backside at some point. We'll see.

Looks good, and has plenty of tire coverage, which is good since I'm thinking of adding weld-on beadlocks, which would give me about another 1" of tire width.

The balance of the weekend I'm planning to spend on getting the rest of the flares installed. The front ones are DIY, meaning they're a couple pieces of bent tubing and flat stock that have to be welded up and cut to fit. They're also intended to be welded on, not bolted, so I'm going to have to fab up some kind of bolt flanges and attachment methods if I want them to be removable as well. Should be fun!

Name:	20180413_213632.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	30919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180401_114259.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	30918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180413_213550.jpg 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	30920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180413_213604.jpg 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	30921  

MappingNH Trail Scout

Question

Sucks that you snapped that pipe Jesse. Did you have clearance on this engine to change just that piece, or did the water pump have to come off, as it does on the 4.0L?

Need to get and wire in a thermostat for my fan as well, since it is all manual right now, so of course I forgot it a few times, which sends the temperature needle towards the red zone :(

It was an easy fix. That pipe on the v8 comes out easily and Oriellys had a new one on the shelf. I learned my lesson and heated up the new one before attempting to bend it.

Derale makes a fan controller with a temp probe that slides in between the fins of the radiator. I actually bought that controller myself, and then my radiator showed up with a welded 3/8" bung already installed for a threaded temp sensor, so I exchanged it.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

It was an easy fix. That pipe on the v8 comes out easily and Oriellys had a new one on the shelf. I learned my lesson and heated up the new one before attempting to bend it.

Derale makes a fan controller with a temp probe that slides in between the fins of the radiator. I actually bought that controller myself, and then my radiator showed up with a welded 3/8" bung already installed for a threaded temp sensor, so I exchanged it.

Glad that part went easy for you :)

Great find on the radiator! I will be buying the probe style for mine :\

Another productive weekend. Got all the fender flares fabbed up and installed and started working on the drop-down tailgate.

It's looking like next weekend MAY be warm enough to do some paint. That'd be nice... I gotta get the tub painted sooner than later so I get get the interior put back in the rig and put the dash and switch panel back together. Looks like pretty much all I have left is paint, interior, a front driveshaft, build a trans/engine skid plate, and then I'll send it out for a custom exhaust and we'll be riding dirty!

I somehow managed to tap twelve 5/16" holes without breaking a Chinesium tap. Lots of oil and patience.

Building a front flare.

Front flare installation. I welded a bit of round stock through the front tube so I could bolt it on tight without crushing the tubing. Then just a couple easy tabs for the other two spots.

Looks okay. I'm not a huge fan of the front flares, I kinda wish they bent downward a little more, but I don't have a tubing bender so I'll live with it for now. I'll probably run without them when I'm wheeling most of the time anyway.

Added a little entertainment for the shop.

Name:	20180414_154722.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	30941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180414_171112.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	30942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180414_145709.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	30943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180414_145717.jpg 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	30944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180414_145810.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	30945  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180415_144623.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	30946