Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: First Jeep. Why did I wait so long?

PM sent.
    MIKE
    Member: Treadlightly
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

Busy weekend as expected. I got my inspection sticker Friday so I've been trying to put some miles on the old girl to try to find any potential problems before the trip. So far so good! I did feel like I was getting terrible fuel mileage and checked into a couple things, turns out I bought the o2 sensors for a 5.2, so I got and installed the correct sensors Friday night. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Saturday I started by trimming back my shift cable bracketry so it wouldn't be in the line of fire from the front driveshaft. I had a line on some v8 ZJ brackets but the junkyard scrapped the only v8 they had before I could get down there.

I don't think I have a before picture, but it this is what's there now. Its gonna be close, but I think it should clear now.

Next, my engine skid that wasn't supposed to arrive until Tuesday showed up early, so I got that installed. I had to space down the rear and notch the sides to clear the transmission pan.

The front brackets are supposed to attach to the 4.0 motor mounts, so instead I just welded the mounting tabs to the frame. Covers the exhaust nicely.

After that I started working on the OBA. Got the compressor torn down on Saturday evening.

Today I packed it with grease, reassembled it, installed it in the factory position, and re-ran all the wiring for the whole system. I also reinstalled my air tank and locker solenoids and regulator. Unfortunately, sometime in the last couple months of floating around my garage, the manifold containing the pressure switch, safety valve, and pressure gauge has gone MIA, so I'll have to wait for my Amazon prime delivery on Wednesday to finish it off completely.

My compressor had the aluminum manifold, not the threaded fittings, so I crimped the end of the aluminum tubing and brazed it shut, then drilled and tapped the manifold to accept a 3/8" NPT elbow. Should work just fine.

I'm going to do the same for the inlet side once my filter/silencer shows up.

Can't wait to get her in the woods!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Ford 8.8" rear axle, HP D30 front axle w/ chromoly shafts and truss, hydro assist steering, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 5.2 V8, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

I have to say, after spending every spare moment in the garage for the last few months, it feels great to be daily driving my TJ again.

The v8 is fantastic. The power from the stock truck motor isn't exactly otherwordly, but it's more than adequate and noticeably better than the 200,000 mile 4.0 that I took out. The sound is awesome of course and the double takes I get from Jeep people when they hear it are awesome. I've gotten 10 mpg (on almost all side streets) for the first 100 miles, but I had the wrong o2 sensors installed for half of that so I expect it will increase a bit. (Maybe not much, my 5.2 liter ZJ doesn't do much better than that on small A/Ts.)

I learned so much from the engine swap, from wiring to fabricating, learning to paint (kinda), to rebuilding my first automatic transmission. Internet forums and AllDataDIY.com were resources that I used constantly.

The end result is a rig that I tried to keep very close to what Jeep could have built if they had offered a V8 option in 1999. It's all Chrysler parts. A 5.9 magnum v8 and 46re trans from a 99 Ram pickup, and the original NP231 transfer case from the Jeep. I used all the factory emissions equipment, installed a catalytic converter with up and downstream o2 sensors, and it uses the factory Jeep gauges. Check engine light and diagnostic port function just like factory. Even the cruise control still works!

I feel so much more confident taking it wheeling hard now that I know my frame and tub are completely solid instead of being held together with dental floss, duct tape, and hope.

It's amazing what 6 months of nights and weekends can accomplish, right?

Now, time to go wheeling!

'99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Ford 8.8" rear axle, HP D30 front axle w/ chromoly shafts and truss, hydro assist steering, 4.88, ARB lockers, 35s, tummy tuck
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

cda is offline Purveyor of Shenanigans Supporting Member Tier 1
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    I have to say, ..., it feels great to be daily driving my TJ again.

Now, time to go wheeling!
    Congrats! It's a big project but they're always so satisfying when they come together!

Are we going to see you in the Hard Group at the Anniversary Run?!?

Quote Originally Posted by cda View Post
    Congrats! It's a big project but they're always so satisfying when they come together!

Are we going to see you in the Hard Group at the Anniversary Run?!?
    Possibly? Still TBD.

I'm going to be up all three days, but I may be leading a second mod group on Saturday if Paul needs me to. I'm up for anything on Friday and Sunday though. She's due for a good beating.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

cda is offline Purveyor of Shenanigans Supporting Member Tier 1
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

She's due for a good beating

Quote Originally Posted by cda View Post

Well I didn't buy a 20 year old Jeep and put big tires on it to NOT beat the snot out of it.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Another congratulations Jesse!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

Thanks Shawn!

A finishing touch courtesy of Summit Signs in Exeter. It's not a perfect match, but going off a Google image search of the "4.0L" font I texted him, not bad at all.

Last edited by FreakinJeep; 05-31-2018 at 01:03 PM.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Nice touch. Jeep looks awesome can't wait to hear it.

2005 LJ Rubicon Metal Cloak GC fully adjustable 3.5" SA with MC Track Bars OME Shocks/Stabilizer, 1" MORE Alum BL, 1" MML, JCR 1 Ton Steering, Currie T Case Cable Shifter, Currie Anti Rock, UC Fab LoPro Skid Plates, Adams Driveshafts F/R, US Alloy Axle Shafts Front, MC F/R Fenders, MC Sliders, JCR Stubby Mauler Bumper with Superwinch 9.5 Synthetic Line. Revolution Gears 5.38 35" Goodyear MTR's Pro Comp Steel Wheels

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Thanks Shawn!

A finishing touch courtesy of Summit Signs in Exeter. It's not a perfect match, but going off a Google image search of the "4.0L" font I texted him, not bad at all.

Very cool!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)