Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Navigation Apps/Devices/Aids

Gaia has been recommended to me and I may buy it on the Android, in the past ive used .GPX viewer, and recently I tried out Locus maps which I like, I downloaded the maps for offline use (3 states are free then pay after that), good map detail, records tracks well...
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

I bought a cheap 8" Android tablet to use in the Jeep for navigating ($50 at Best Buy). Currently testing out the MyTrails app. The pro version is cheap ($2.50), it downloads OpenStreetMaps for offline use and can record/upload tracks too. I need to take a closer look at Gaia and Avenza, they sound pretty useful especially if Avenza has DOT maps.
    2015 JKURHR 6MT - Stock

3. Default

I use Gaia on Android. I've heard that the IOS version is even better, but have no direct experience.

I used to love Avenza. Now, I am down to dead reckoning and 78 point turns.
    I can offlaod my tins of maps from Avanza though, which would allow me to to load new ones? I did not know I could, have to figure that out I guess as I need a bunch more towns. Seems I could load them and save them off apo and keep loading more right?
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    I used to love Avenza. Now, I am down to dead reckoning and 78 point turns.
    I can offlaod my tins of maps from Avanza though, which would allow me to to load new ones? I did not know I could, have to figure that out I guess as I need a bunch more towns. Seems I could load them and save them off apo and keep loading more right?
    If you are using free version (locked) of Avenza you can only load 3 maps at a time. You can delete and replace but onlyh 3 can loaded. For a fee you can unlock and thrn load all of the maps. I have all of the NH and VT maps saved in folder on my SD card so I can move it between phone and tablet. I'll load 3 maps of area I'm going to be in and if I need another map I can delete one and add another. It sucks but I dont want to drop $30 to unlock app.

Quote Originally Posted by Yipjeep View Post
    If you are using free version (locked) of Avenza you can only load 3 maps at a time. You can delete and replace but onlyh 3 can loaded. For a fee you can unlock and thrn load all of the maps. I have all of the NH and VT maps saved in folder on my SD card so I can move it between phone and tablet. I'll load 3 maps of area I'm going to be in and if I need another map I can delete one and add another. It sucks but I dont want to drop $30 to unlock app.
    Thanks Mike. I actually still have all of the 2015 maps right on my app, they were at least kind enough to not blast them out. I can access them all without having to reload them to it, I just can't get new ones, and once I move them, I too will be looking at loading only three at a time.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Present-2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid

Buy a Gazetteer

I use Motion-X for my mapping, But I have a heavy background in GIS and build my own shape files/GPX files based on state GIS data to overlay. I like having all the different base maps available at a touch of a button as well, and generally will cache the area that I'm planning on being in for a weekend so I don't need data to view the base maps.

I also use it to create points and waypoints, and then use their web interface to view/retrieve/share them.

Just my .02 as a power user

Quote Originally Posted by cda View Post
    I use Motion-X for my mapping, But I have a heavy background in GIS and build my own shape files/GPX files based on state GIS data to overlay. I like having all the different base maps available at a touch of a button as well, and generally will cache the area that I'm planning on being in for a weekend so I don't need data to view the base maps.

I also use it to create points and waypoints, and then use their web interface to view/retrieve/share them.

Just my .02 as a power user
    Just so I know... what are the differences between Motion-X and other mapping apps, like Gaia? Do you only use Motion-X or do you use it with other SW as well? Does Motion-X work with Android, or just Apple products?
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, 2" OME lift, Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    Just so I know... what are the differences between Motion-X and other mapping apps, like Gaia? Do you only use Motion-X or do you use it with other SW as well? Does Motion-X work with Android, or just Apple products?

Motion-X
    Gaia

• Motion-X is iOS only
    • Gaia is available for both iOS and Android devices.
    • Gaia is far more user friendly than Motion-X, has some really cool features like auto syncing between devices, and native web portals for creating, and sharing tracks.
    • Motion-X has some cool features like sharing locations in a live tracker type of output though this obviously requires data which is a struggle in the rural areas we frequent.

• Gaia's website describes the app as targeted at "people who are offline and dirty hikers, hunters, offroad drivers, geocachers, trailrunners, researchers, and other woodsy people" and they deliver an outstanding experience without needing to break out a user manual to figure out how something works.
    • Motion-X in general is less straight forward and offers many of the same features as Gaia, but is limited to iOS, and is setup in a way that even power users can get frustrated trying to navigate if they don't use it on a regular basis. However I like using it because of the ability to style and configure my custom imported maps that I create on the computer. I also frequently switch between basemaps in MotionX while I'm on the trail, sometimes I'll be looking at the Terrain map for a topo view, Other times I'll be bouncing between Aerial imagery, and base street maps. Motion-X offers a variety of base maps

Basemap Selection in Motion-X

Road Maps
    • Motion X (branded OpenStreetMap)
    • Bing
    • Apple
    • Google

Terrain Maps
    • Motion X (Branded OpenStreetMap)
    • Bing
    • Google

Aerial Maps
    • Bing
    • Apple
    • Google

Hybrid (Aerial+Road) Maps
    • Bing
    • Apple
    • Google

Custom Imported Maps

And Because you asked....
    My mapping setup is probably the most complicated way anyone on ENH deals with it :P , I manipulate various mapping/engineering file formats, GIS data, and mobile data collected for a living. As a result I have some pretty swanky GIS tools at my disposal.

For my most recent offroad map project I've been trying to get into exploring VT a little more than I have in the past. They have many Class4 and Legal Trails across the state that are very similar to NH's Class VI so I decided to put together some layers in Motion-X that I could use when wheeling in VT to make sure I stay on designated routes, or use to plan exploring trips in google earth by also creating a KMZ file to use on my laptop at camp every night.

To begin this project my first step was to get a copy of the raw GIS data from the state of VT. VT provided the GIS data for every road in the state in the form of a series of Bentley Microstation DGN files.
    I opened up the data in Microstation and made sure everything looked good, The VT data is actually very clean and didn't need much massaging to get it in an exportable format. As a bonus it also contained the village boundaries and names which is a bonus overlay as I won't even have to create it myself.

State of VT Road Data

Once I verified everything in Microstation I switched over to Safe Software's FME to transform the data into usable formats for Motion-X, as well as the KMZ for my laptop. I wrote up a quick FME workspace to regurgitate the DGN into the GPX and KML files I was looking for.

Roads Imported as a directory structure in google earth for easy toggling.

From there It's just a matter of making sure everything looks right, Importing the data into Motion-X and applying a style so I can tell different road types apart at a glance.

Adding and configuring layers in Motion-X

Bonus: Truck setup!

Tablet lives over toward the passenger in my truck, phone lives up against the drivers A pillar, Both in RAM mounts.

Some day I should spend more time in Gaia so I can write up something about that too.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	29093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161119_171001.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	29092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	29090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	29089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earth.jpg 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	29088  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All Together.jpg 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	29087  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cda; 08-11-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Awesome stuff cda!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Buy a Gazetteer

Wow @CDA! Honestly, I'm blown away. Would you ever be interested in doing a basic mapping training for me, and a couple other guys if there's interest? I am a pilot so I know how to read maps and charts but I don't know anything about this mapping SW. If you're a little too busy for that, I'd just love to see your mapping setup in person. My long term hope is to have a solid navigation setup and I bet you could give me lots of ideas.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, 2" OME lift, Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

I spent some time today learning Gaia so I could post up a follow up of a short stint of using Gaia. It seems like it has a strong following so I figured it was worth taking some time to put some information up in this thread about it.

I was able to very easily import my GPX data that I was using iwith Motion-X into the Gaia Web portal using my internet browser, Once it was uploaded into the Gaia Website it showed up on my tablet, which is super cool! I can immediately see why it has such a passionate following, the seamless transfer from web portal to tablet is quite satisfying.

I uploaded my GPX file using their upload portal

Waited to get my Processing Complete Email

Then checked back in to the web portal

Sure enough, there my data was. At this point I jumped over to my tablet to see if I had to do anything to get the data on my tablet.

I loaded up the Gaia app and there it was! That was a super effortless process that I stumbled through on my own without having to do any google-fu or asking around!

My first impressions of the Gaia app are very positive.

Things I that are different between Motion-X and Gaia

• USGS Topo!!!!! This is huge, USGS topo maps are some of my favorite, and hard copies are expensive! the fact that Gaia is able to natively display these is super cool. I've been overlaying them in google earth for a long time, but to have it on the go is pretty slick!
    • The Gaia base map is also Based on OpenStreetMap so the base topo data is very comparable between the two apps. Gaia applies a much lighter style to their base map, this isn't a problem, but I personally prefer a darker theme especially when navigating at night.
    • Gaia has a permanant dashboard across the top of the screen that displays metrics of your current trip, as well as current altitude and sunset/sunrise time. All these metrics are fully adjustable to your liking.

Side by Side Comparisons!!!

Base Maps

-Gaia-

Topo (feet)
    OpenStreetMap
    USGS Topo

Aerial

Mapquest Satellite

Hybrid
    Mapbox Satellite with OpenStreetMap Overlays

-MotionX-

Road Maps

• Motion X (branded OpenStreetMap)
    • Bing
    • Apple
    • Google

Terrain Maps

• Motion X (Branded OpenStreetMap)
    • Bing
    • Google

Aerial Maps

• Bing
    • Apple
    • Google

Hybrid (Aerial+Road) Maps

• Bing
    • Apple
    • Google

Custom Imported Maps

Side by side Native Topo maps

Motion-X / Gaia

Looking at the side by side on these two topo views you can see the difference between the lighter theme that Gaia Applies and the Darker theme that Motion X applies

side by side selecting base maps

Motion-X / Gaia
    This comparison shows the varitey of different options that Motion-X provides vs Gaia. Worth noting is that Gaia uses a different Aerial imagery provider than even the 3 that Motion-X has available. So there is actully very little overlap between Gaia and Motion-X as far as base maps go, which is pretty cool. It makes it even easier to spend the 20 bucks to have both Motion-X and Gaia if they actually offer things that are different. Between the extra Aerial Imagry, and the USGS topo maps being available it brings plenty of value to my kit.

Trip Reporting

Gaia and Motion-X handle track recording pretty similarly, They both have dashboards that show metrics, including speed/pace, max/mins for various metrics, as well as altitude graphs to show changes in altitude over time. Motion-X uses a dedicated page to view the metrics, while Gaia displays the metrics in a pull out on the left hand side of the map screen.

Motion-X / Gaia Trip tracking

Editing Layers Within the Apps

Editing layers while using the app is mostly the same between Motion-X and Gaia. As I've shown above, Motion-X prefers a dedicated menu for the changes, where Gaia works with the pull out on the left hand side of the screen.

Motion-X / Gaia

Overall I enjoyed test driving Gaia, and will probably end up purchasing the full version when the demo runs out.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 2.22.11 PM.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	29095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 2.22.51 PM.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	29096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 2.26.20 PM.jpg 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	29097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	29098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	29099  

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	29100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	29101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	29102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	29103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	29104  

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	29105  

One major thing that I like more with Gaia is that the screen stays in Navigation mode so that when I and following a track I don't have to keep switching the screen back, like I have had to do with MotionX. Not a huge deal, but frustrating when you are following a track and the app automatically changes screens to the compass or a reporting screen, then back to the map. I want it to just stay on the map and I could never figure out a way to change that.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    Wow @CDA! Honestly, I'm blown away. Would you ever be interested in doing a basic mapping training for me, and a couple other guys if there's interest? I am a pilot so I know how to read maps and charts but I don't know anything about this mapping SW. If you're a little too busy for that, I'd just love to see your mapping setup in person. My long term hope is to have a solid navigation setup and I bet you could give me lots of ideas.
    We might put something together for one of our overland 101 or 102 classes that covers offroad navigation, route planning, as well as in vehicle and computer configurations work efficiently. At this point I don't have anything on the schedule or any curriculum put together to address it. Though you're not the first person who has voiced interest in something of the sort. So I'll have to put some more effort into it. There are ways to use google earth pro (free) to accomplish similar things that I do, it's just a bit more tedious and time consuming without the horsepower of the mapping tools I use every day for work.

My navigation setup is pretty simple in the truck when I'm out and about on a wheeling trip or exploring, it's a cell phone, an iPad, with a SurfacePro+GPS interface for backup. I have a RAM cell phone mount with the rubber phone keeper for my cell phone up by the window, The phone is the music player, text messenger, phone (SHOCKER), and google maps direction machine. The iPad fits into my RAM tablet mount, as well as the SurfacePro the iPad provides offroad navigation and track following, as well as breadcrumbs of where i've been so I can find my way out, or log my trip when I get home. The Macbook serves as my code reader/forum post writer/PCM tuner/ and route editor at camp. It lives in a dedicated pelican case in the back of the truck to keep it safe from natures hazards. I charge the phone and tablet through a BlueSea 4.8A dedicated charger that's hard wired to the truck, it's flush mounted into the dash and is controlled by the ignition to keep it from killing the battery when the truck is off.

My non-mobile mapping workstation looks like this:

CAD workstation has a 24" 1920x1080 side monitor, as well as a 28" 4k primary monitor which is great for jamming a boatload of things onto one screen without sacrificing usable onscreen space in apps, working in 4k is essentially jamming 4 normal FHD monitors into the same space. Just much Much Much shaper :D

The third monitor is a 24" 1920x1080 monitor dedicated to my macbook pro. I use my laptop to test the outputs to make sure things view on other platforms as they should, I also generally rock my non-work things on this screen to keep church and state separated while I'm trying to focus on a project at work.

I use Autocad Map3D 2017, Bentley's Microstation, and Safe software's FME to do the majority of my mapping work. Obviously this software suite is wayyyy beyond what anyone would purchase for recreational use, as each license is WELL over 5 figures, some in the middle between 5 and 6 figures

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	29106  

Wow! Tons of great information. I would be interested as well for some sort of mapping guide/class on what everyone dose and uses. This is something I've been meaning to do, track runs that I've been on so I can venture back to them at some point.

I feel it's more of just seeing what others do and setting the time aside to figure out what works best for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Taco access cab. Mods: Airaid intake, Magnaflow exhaust, diif breather extended, Budbuilt skid plates, SOS Concept Sliders, SOS Rear Bumper, OME 3" lift, plasti-dip grill.

2009 Yamaha FZ6R with Two Brothers exhaust and Juice Box.