Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Navigation Apps/Devices/Aids

Damn cda! Awesome information!

After reading thru this I downloaded Avenza, but I haven't been extremely impressed with the mapping capabilities, unless I'm missing something? I did manage to find the site with NH's individual town maps

cda's post has sold me on Gaia! But I assume a lot of the elegance shown is in the map work you have done personally?
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

I'm with you @Farmer. I might just buy the full Gaia app and try to learn the basics on my own.

@CDA, if you end up building a 101 or 102 class on using GPS apps, consider me in! Like I said, I'm decent at reading maps (I'm a pilot) but I don't have any experience with these GPS apps and all the features they have.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, OME stock height, Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

So what version of Gaia is everyone using --

The new one $9.99 a year or 5 years for $30

Premium @ $29.99 per year

Or the classic which looks like a 1 time payment of $19.99

Keep in mind I know nothing about navigational software -- I'll be learning as I go

I use the $20 version, it serves my needs: import .gpx files, record tracks, export gpx., share gpx., and choose from quite a few different map overlays. Most of the time I'm using a topo map overlay.

It's been great for scouting and leading a number of runs.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Member: The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

I found a link over on Expo forum that gives you a 1 month trial period of the premium version

It has to be your 1st time using Gaia to qualify

Might as well share it:
    https://www.gaiagps.com/premium/?PROMO=MVUMPROMO

So, help me out guys. I bought Gaia maps before Fall Crawl this weekend. While on the trail, I recorded a "track". How do I go back and look at the track so I can rerun it later on?
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, OME stock height, Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    So, help me out guys. I bought Gaia maps before Fall Crawl this weekend. While on the trail, I recorded a "track". How do I go back and look at the track so I can rerun it later on?
    On the menu bar at the top, to the far right, is a menu button, or just drag right to left on the right edge of the screen, and follow down the menu to "Tracks". That brings up the list of tracks you have recorded and loaded, tap on the one you want to look at and select "Show on map". You should be good.

I missed checking out your rig yesterday, I hope to catch up with you somewhere along. Freeze maybe?
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Member: The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring

KC1EIJ
    WQZJ411

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    On the menu bar at the top, to the far right, is a menu button, or just drag right to left on the right edge of the screen, and follow down the menu to "Tracks". That brings up the list of tracks you have recorded and loaded, tap on the one you want to look at and select "Show on map". You should be good.

I missed checking out your rig yesterday, I hope to catch up with you somewhere along. Freeze maybe?
    Ah Freeze...my absolutely favorite run of the year.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!"
    -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-ties
    KC1GPY

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Ah Freeze...my absolutely favorite run of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post

I'm planning on attending Freeze this year! Hopefully, I'll get out and wheel before then too.

So... I pull up the menu and select "Tracks". Then it brings up a screen that lists "New Track 10/22/17". Status is "on". I go back to the map and can't find any marker for it. I click on the layers screen and "my waypoints" is checked on. Maybe I recorded the track wrong?