Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: mb523's 99 Waggler

Default mb523's 99 Waggler

Hey everyone! I recently joined and wanted to share some of the things I have done to prepare my Jeep for the abuse I give it offroad It has been a slow build since my Junior year of college. I started wheeling it stock and caught the bug. Most of these photos are recent. I will see if I can find some older ones during the buildup. My goal of this build is to fit the biggest tire I can with the smallest lift height (for a low center of gravity). Plans for a flat skid and tucked gas tank are in the works, right after some beefier axles (thinking an HP D30 and an 8.8). I look forward to meeting you guys on an ENH trip soon!

- Deep Amethyst Pearlcoat
    - AMC 2.5L I4
    - AX-5 5-speed
    - "Custom" clearanced transmission x-member and tank skid
    - 1986 Grand Waggy D44's trussed/chromo/4.88/OX locked
    - Ruff Stuff OTK 1-ton steering
    - PSC Extreme box, pump, lines, reservoir, hydro assist ram
    - TNT Customs front frame stretch kit
    - TNT Customs front OTK trackbar and frame bracket
    - 2.5" Rough Country Long Arm Suspension lift w/ Fat Bob shocks
    - 1" Daystar Poly body lift
    - 3/4" Daystar Poly spring spacers
    - 1" Brown Dog rubber motor mount lift
    - 35x12.5 BFG KM2s on black 6 lug steelies
    - Currie AntiRock Sway Bar system
    - 8k Smittybuilt Winch on Smittybuilt raised plate
    - Smittybuilt XRC rock sliders
    - 2x 10k recovery hooks in front
    - Rear recovery bumper tire carrier
    - H4 conversion headlight housings
    - 100w KC Daylighter flood lights
    - 55w Hella fog lights
    - 21w LED reverse lights
    - Blue Seas Fuse Block
    - Optima yellow-top
    - Custom 10 switch panel w/outlets and in-cab winch control
    - 150 psi York powered OBA with 1 gallon tank and solenoids for OX lockers
    - BestTop TrekTop
    - Mirror relocators
    - Half doors with glass slider uppers
    - Uniden 520XL mounted overhead
    - 4' Firestick antenna
    - Astatic noise-canceling mic
    - Recovery gear and enough tools to get out of a bind
    - Custom Expedition storage unit

Here is a photo from my last trip out with cda and friends! We all enjoy being flexy!

I will throw up some more photos when I find them.
    Last edited by mb523; 01-23-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

I found some pictures of my switch panel build! I couldn't have done this without the help of cda and his awesome design and electrical skills!

Here is the design template that cda made and printed:

I traced it out and prototyped it in ABS plastic:

Metal cut and drilled:

Jig set up to hold the sides to the front, ready for welding:

This was the first time using my little Hobart with gas!

Panel complete, wired up, ready to go in!

Installed and wired in!

I decided to rough up the metal with a rough surface prep disk on my air grinder. I put 4 coats of poly clear coat on to protect the finished. It reminds me of the brushed stainless look you would see on a nice fridge. The upper row is for lights and the lower row is for other accessories (oba, door switch defeat switch etc). The winch controller needs to be turned on (black safety switch). Each switch has a red LED for status.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

What material did you use to make that? I am thinking about making a panel for my tailgate to hang things on etc... But can't find anything light enough and strong enough and need holes in it for hanging stuff.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Jeepin is online now Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Nice looking TJ, I used to run those tires long ago on my toyota, always performed pretty good. That switch panel came out awesome! Now you just gotta remember what each one is for lol.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

Thanks Jeepin! They are my first set of MTs. I came from a BFG AT of much smaller size so these perform awesome compared. I am very pleased with the panel, I almost like it so much the way it is that I don't want to put labels on it! I know what they all do at this point, although they don't all have a function (yet).

FSHJNKY, I used 18ga steel that I found in a sheet at Home Depot. It is pretty strong and easily shaped with a bit of heat and a hammer.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    Thanks Jeepin! They are my first set of MTs. I came from a BFG AT of much smaller size so these perform awesome compared. I am very pleased with the panel, I almost like it so much the way it is that I don't want to put labels on it! I know what they all do at this point, although they don't all have a function (yet).

FSHJNKY, I used 18ga steel that I found in a sheet at Home Depot. It is pretty strong and easily shaped with a bit of heat and a hammer.
    Thanks. I don't need to bend it really, just need to cut it to size and smooth the edges and cut some holes. What is the ABS plastic that you mentioned in your first post?
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

The ABS plastic was just a thin sheet of plastic that cda had laying around. He may know more about it. It is very easily cut and drilled so it made the perfect prototyping material.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mb523 View Post
    The ABS plastic was just a thin sheet of plastic that cda had laying around. He may know more about it. It is very easily cut and drilled so it made the perfect prototyping material.
    Awesome thanks.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

The abs plastic is an install bay trick. Install essentials sells it on Amazon for around ten dollars a square foot.

Nice looking wrangler Mitch!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Alex
    Director LMFT Inc. http://lmftnh.com | http://fb.com/lmftnh
    1984 Toyota Pickup -- 22r | 37s | Partial Exo | Lockers | Winches | Armor | Body Damage
    01 Ford Superduty -- 7.3L | Tow Rig
    90 Dodge Ram -- 12 Valve Cummins | Pull Truck | Build In Progress

So I got together some pictures from my york OBA install. A good friend had this york sitting in the trunk of his 60's diesel Mercedes sedan when he bought it. It was taken out by the PO and he had no plans to use it so he gave it to me. It sat around for a couple years while I finished up college. I finally had the time to proceed with the install!

My TJ didn't come with AC from the factory so there was a very obvious place to mount the york. I ended up fabricating a bracket out of two pieces of 1/8" stock butt-welded together to form a flat plate. I drilled adjustment slots on the side facing the firewall to mount to the AC plate and two holes on the other end to mount the york to it. This kept everything super simple but yet strong. To provide belt tensioning, I welded a couple washers on the underside front of the plate. This allowed me to keep the back plate bolts loose, slip the belt on, and then tighten the back bolts (pivoting the whole compressor on the washers) to tighten the belt.

I purchased an overdriven dual alternator pulley to provide a v-belt pulley to drive the york's clutch pulley. I also purchased the roto-lok adaptor fittings from Kilby to aid in ease of install and reduce overall height of the compressor. These fittings provided a male 1/2" NPT fitting. I had to re-route the air intake tube as it was right in the way. I plugged the original airbox hole with a spray paint cap, some RTV, and a screw. I used some 3" flexible intake ducting and a flange on the end of the airbox. The top of the roto-lock fittings are very close to my hood but being so far back (because 4-banger) it clears fine.

Here is the york installed

This was version 2 output hose setup. Originally I had the blue poly hose running directly to a barb off the output side of the york. The york heats up a lot when airing up multiple sets of large tires and kept softening blue hose to the point where it would blow off the barb. This is with a stainless steel braided leader hose to try to dissipate the heat a bit.

The blue hose feeds this manifold. It first runs through a backflow preventer, then into an air cleaner. The grey box is a 110psi on 150psi off pressure switch. Air is then piped to a 1 gallon tank (soon to be larger) mounted above the rear axle and to a quick disconnect under the winch plate.

I ran into further problems with heat on our last trip out. I was airing up 2 sets of 35's and 2 sets of 33's all aired down to ~15psi. The SS leader hose got hot enough to blow the blue hose off the bar again! Thankfully cda's OBA was working to finish up the job. I decided to fix it properly. I ended up with a piece of 1/2" threaded black pipe with some random fittings spanning across the back of my engine bay. I put the backflow preventer right after the leader hose so the pipe now also acts as extra storage. The black pipe will heat up a considerable amount. I will know more on the next trip out under heavy use.

I put together a splitter and a male-to-male fitting so cda and I can link up our OBA systems. He has two connections so between us we can run two hoses and have 6 gallons of air being produced by his electric pump and my york. This makes airing up pretty quick.

I am incredibly pleased with this setup! I have been able to power an impact gun without any issues for trail repairs. Locking differentials are in my future and having air readily available, I am leaning towards ARBs. I now finally have 6 pistons under my hood :)
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

So this happened recently. She learned her name!
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

I'll just leave this here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1391841281723.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	18486

Sent from mobile.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

So some of my plans have changed. My original idea of an HP30 and ford 8.8 has been thrown out the window. Meet my organ donor:

I picked this 94 YJ up from Craigslist for a lot less than I could buy or build the axles I wanted. Some basic specs:

- 86 Grand Wagoneer 1/2ton 6 lug D44 housings front and rear fully rebuilt
    - New brakes (disk front, drum rear)
    - All chromoly shafts
    - 4.88 gears
    - OX locker in front
    - Warn 1-1/2 turn locking hubs
    - Spool in back
    - (never used) M12000 Warn Winch
    - AMC 4.0/ax15/np231/SYE combo
    - Almost new 33x12.5x15 BFG KM1s on stock waggy 6 lug wheels
    - 5" BDS suspension lift (barely used)
    - Rear bumper/tire carrier in need of a sand/paint

The frame and body are beyond repair, however, the engine has less than 90k on it and runs well!

I am going to pull the axles, clean them up and weld some TNT Customs trusses to them to fit into my TJ. I may run with the spool in the back for now until I can pick up an ARB. Being 6x5.5 lug pattern, this opens up my options a bit more for wheels and the axle strength guarantees I can run 35s, no problem.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am really excited to dig into this swap and see my little Waggler grow up a bit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12510137795_7486b87d74_c.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	18583  
    Last edited by mb523; 02-16-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

If you need to find a new home for those 33s...
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

They may be looking for a new home, I will let you know!

I think I have the front plan all sorted out. I am going to run a TNT truss with high clearance lower control arm brackets and hysteer trackbar bracket: http://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_wagon...xle_truss.aspx
    I will remove the frame side trackbar mount and replace it with this bracket and bar: http://www.tntcustoms.com/Jeep_wrang...ar_system.aspx
    I plan to run the current OTK steering setup that is on it now (it is all new) until I decide where I want to go with it. The high clearance lower brackets will stretch the front around an inch if I don't adjust that out with the control arms.

The rear is still up in the air. Since this is a waggy 44, the tubes are larger and the pumpkin is offset (20" pass, 18.25" driver) so I will have to modify a truss designed to fit a TJ 44 (centered, smaller tubes), such as this one: http://www.tntcustoms.com/rear_axle_...J/Dana_44.aspx
    It will also include high clearance lower control arm brackets (and stretch a little).
    I have a line on a rear currie double JJ trackbar which will finish up the back.
    The rear is a bit skinnier than my current d35 but I should be able to run some backspaced rims or small spacers and be fine.
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread