Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: wheeling the continental divide

Default wheeling the continental divide

went on a family trip to Colorado and Utah to attend a wedding, so i rented a jeep for a day and went wheeling. the class 6 roads around here are a joke compared to the vast amount of trails out there. the only vehicle available was a stock liberty with some skid plates, they gave me a trail map and let me loose.
    the trail system i was on went up to the continental divide way way above tree line, unfortunately there was an obstacle with water running down it that i couldn't make it up so i didn't actually take a trail to the divide but we went to another spot that was more easily accessible. after that whent to the top of peak 10 at Breckenridge ski area, that was cool.

didnt really take many pictures but here is a few.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Our First Family Trip 052.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	15299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Our First Family Trip 028.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	15301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Our First Family Trip 029.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	15302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Our First Family Trip 095.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	15303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeepliberty.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	15304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Our First Family Trip 065.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	15300

I would love to get out there one day! Great photos!
    1992 RRC Alpine White "Grover" - Gone
    1988 Defender 90 Black "Ralph"- Gone
    2006 LR3 Tonga Green "Greenie"- Gone
    1988 RRC Portofino Red "Randy"
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green "Rocket"
    2000 DII Oxford Pearl Blue Metallic "Rompy"

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

That's cool Chris!
    Funny how they let you wheel it :)
    That is some the trail system that Nick and I were on during our cross country trip, that ended at CO ;)
    I guess it goes from Canada to Mexico :O Thus the name :p
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

i rented it from high mountain jeep rental they knew i was taking it off road. found some more pictures on my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeepliberty3.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	15308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeepliberty4.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	15309  

Nice! It is always great to rent a Jeep and do even mild stuff when you travel, you get to see so much more. Here's a shot from when I was in Santa Fe, NM a few years back.

--
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

We lived in NH for many years, but packed up and left about 6 years ago. Got in our RV and are touring the US full time. We tow a Jeep and spend most of our time out West. I drive and my wife takes pictures and it seems to work out well.

Here is a link to our blog. It may inspire some one to come West for a Jeep adventure.

Enjoy

Brad in Buena Vista, CO for the moment ...
    www.acgpsy.org

Nice - I love wheeling in that part of the country. I try to get out there at least once a year.

The last time I rented a cute-ute, i brought it back covered in mud and scratches - made me glad of the insurance. Nowadays I am lucky to have friends in the area with multiple wheeling rigs :)

Rental H3:

I would like to share something with you guys. I am a native New Yorker. Used to roam the Northeast. Loved it a lot. One day, I decided to end living in the Northeast and move to the far West. I am so glad that I did. Going offroad in different states. Seeing all kinds of animals. I uprooted my entire family and it was worth it. Why? Because everyday when I woke up, I had awesome-ness right outside the front door. Went on trails and saw miles upon miles of wilderness. Everytime you climb a mountain, you see many more mountains out there. Going around a bend in the road and you come upon a huge elk blocking your way. In Oregon, up in high desert, I saw a huge herd of antelope. Along the steep banks of the Colorado River, you get to see mountain sheep dotting the crags. Living out West is mind blowing for an Easterner, you're never bored. The locals are used to it and pay it no mind. Out here, you can buy a house for a fraction of the cost that is in the NE and you get land with it. For 50 thousand, I have a cabin on 25 acres in the forest. Many times, as I traverse the mountains in my jeep, I, often, think that I'd like to share this with someone from back East. Try it. You won't regret it!
    Sky comes standard on all Wranglers
    "It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
    Pavement ends and I begin

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon rich View Post
    I would like to share something with you guys. I am a native New Yorker. Used to roam the Northeast. Loved it a lot. One day, I decided to end living in the Northeast and move to the far West. I am so glad that I did. Going offroad in different states. Seeing all kinds of animals. I uprooted my entire family and it was worth it. Why? Because everyday when I woke up, I had awesome-ness right outside the front door. Went on trails and saw miles upon miles of wilderness. Everytime you climb a mountain, you see many more mountains out there. Going around a bend in the road and you come upon a huge elk blocking your way. In Oregon, up in high desert, I saw a huge herd of antelope. Along the steep banks of the Colorado River, you get to see mountain sheep dotting the crags. Living out West is mind blowing for an Easterner, you're never bored. The locals are used to it and pay it no mind. Out here, you can buy a house for a fraction of the cost that is in the NE and you get land with it. For 50 thousand, I have a cabin on 25 acres in the forest. Many times, as I traverse the mountains in my jeep, I, often, think that I'd like to share this with someone from back East. Try it. You won't regret it!
    I would love to......got 50 grand I can have ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)