Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455

Thread: Haven't got a name for it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Sorry not sure what you mean by "rings", but there shouldn't really be any premature wear, since it is not a typical shock suspension component. Most vehicles don't even have one, but I suppose most automobiles are IFS now too. Hopefully the Wrangler will not change to that in the future, or at least keep an off-road version that keeps it's sold axles ;)
    JL (2018-2028? Wrangler) does have solid axles.

What I mean by "ring" is that the the impact continues to oscillate more than one cycle.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    JL (2018-2028? Wrangler) does have solid axles.

What I mean by "ring" is that the the impact continues to oscillate more than one cycle.
    I guess I too should have been more specific in stating the far future, as I knew the JL still has solid axles.

And if you are getting oscillation, then yes I agree, though I would want to fix the issue rather than just dampening it.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)

I fired up the garage heater to get some work done this weekend. So far I'm not doing so good.

• Replaced steering stabilizer.
    • Failed to replace bump stops (since this same name is used in multiple place - the ones within each of the coils) as I couldn't get the axle to droop enough to get the coil out.
    • Failed to remove the Warn winch; just can't get a decent grip on the bolt heads to loosen them.
    • Oil level ok. (was thinking the level might be low because I'm getting a weird problem... more on that below)
    • Replace passenger front wheel speed sensor. I've been having ABS+Traction light on when I drive for a few days - I had O'Reilly do a DTC scan, and they found errors in the left front wheel speed sensor. Won't know 100% if this worked until I test drive. If this doesn't fix it, I can't replace the old sensor, it broke as I was taking it out (apparently a common issue).

Still to go (tomorrow, hopefully, if the garage can heat up enough for paint to dry):

• Touchup paint on the rock sliders - I washed the Jeep Saturday and picked up enough more grime on the way home that I need to manually wash the sliders again to even see the rust.
    • Touchup on the passenger side fender liner. I've got it out anyway and it needs touchup where I had to dremel it to fit.

My weird problem: When I start the Jeep, warm (shut it off long enough to get gas) or cold (overnight), everything is normal, however after my first or second gear shift the engine bogs down badly and takes perhaps 4-5 seconds to come to life. I don't mean shifting into second - just the second time I shift. As long as I leave it running, it's fine after that. I was thinking perhaps low oil level causing low oil pressure until the pump had time to get things going, but oil level is fine. Perhaps something about the ABS warning light due to wheel speed sensor. If this isn't resolved by swapping the wheel speed sensor, I'm going to bring it to a shop to deal with.

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')

Paint done and on a test drive the ABS warning light is out... And the weird bogging down is gone.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    Paint done and on a test drive the ABS warning light is out... And the weird bogging down is gone.
    I figured it was that, so happy to read that it is all good again :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not ;)